Windows update search

Jaly

Windows update search
today my widows update gives message "Windows could not search for new
updates." Code 80072F76
any solutions tried get help with no success!!!
TaurArian

Re: Windows update search
You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error
0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update
Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

Other information:

Make sure you haven't got anything blocking Windows Update like Nortons, Zonealarm etc

Also make sure you don't have a Web Accelerator working in the background such as
NetZerio, HiSpeed, Speedband etc.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Jaly" <Jaly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| today my widows update gives message "Windows could not search for new
| updates." Code 80072F76
| any solutions tried get help with no success!!!

xn85

Re: Windows update search
Hi, I also have this problem. Following extensive searches of Google I have
tried every suggestion that I have found (except proxycfg -d which returns
"not recognised as internal or external command")

I am using Vista Business and only have the Windows firewall enabled. I have
added http://*.microsoft.com and the https:// variants to my trusted sites
list and do not use any accelerators.

None of the sujestions on the Microsoft knowledge base seemed to help.

Any suggestions before I reformat?

Many thanks

"TaurArian" wrote:

> You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error
> 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update
> Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
>
> Other information:
>
> Make sure you haven't got anything blocking Windows Update like Nortons, Zonealarm etc
>
> Also make sure you don't have a Web Accelerator working in the background such as
> NetZerio, HiSpeed, Speedband etc.
>

> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "Jaly" <Jaly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | today my widows update gives message "Windows could not search for new
> | updates." Code 80072F76
> | any solutions tried get help with no success!!!

MowGreen

Re: Windows update search
That's because the command you're trying to use does not exist in Vista:

1) Open an elevated Command Prompt window – click the Vista Orb (Start
button), type command prompt, *right* click the Command Prompt shortcut
in the Program list and select 'Run As Administrator.
Follow the prompts to allow it to run Elevated.

2) To display the current proxy setting of Windows Update, type the
below in and press Enter

netsh winhttp show proxy

3) If a proxy server is shown in the “show proxy” result

Current WinHTTP proxy settings:
<name of proxy>

then type in this command to disable the Windows Update proxy setting
and then press Enter:

netsh winhttp reset proxy

IF this is what's showing when you ran netsh winhttp show proxy

Current WinHTTP proxy settings:
Direct access <no proxy server>

then the communication issue with the update servers is NOT proxy
related. In either case, close the Command Prompt window by typing

exit
And then press Enter.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"