Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6 to

JP

Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6 to
Hello.
I have problem with Windows Update within my XP 64bit SP2.
Recenty I reinstalled my system and installed Windows and update normally.
But after that first update, I can't access Windows update anymore. I
automatically redirects the
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us to the old
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp site.
All I got is the notification Windows Update Error. No error code, just that.
I tried couple of things but nothing works (clearing cache and setting of
IE, unregistering and registering some DLLs, reinstalling
WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe etc.).
Is there a way to change somewhere the old v4 site link to the latest one v6?
Does anybody has suggestion for me?
TaurArian

Re: Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6 to
Hi there, did you clear the softwaredistribution folder, sometimes this is a magic cure as
there are redirection files/folders contained within -

Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click Start, Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click Start. Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

Then take a look at this article (ignore the title if need be) as it gives some
instructions on reinstalling the WU Agent etc.

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by
using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"JP" <JP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hello.
| I have problem with Windows Update within my XP 64bit SP2.
| Recenty I reinstalled my system and installed Windows and update normally.
| But after that first update, I can't access Windows update anymore. I
| automatically redirects the
| http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us to the old
| http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp site.
| All I got is the notification Windows Update Error. No error code, just that.
| I tried couple of things but nothing works (clearing cache and setting of
| IE, unregistering and registering some DLLs, reinstalling
| WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe etc.).
| Is there a way to change somewhere the old v4 site link to the latest one v6?
| Does anybody has suggestion for me?

JP

Re: Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6
TaurArian,
thank you for the tip, but I've done it before and now again following the
steps you suggested, but it didn't help.
It still connects to old v4 site.
J÷rg Becker

Re: Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6 to
Hi there,

I got the same problem. Until today morning all was fine. After the
automatic update in the morning I am always be redirected to
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Who can help or has an idea?

system: XP 64

brgds

JB

J÷rg Becker

Re: Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6 to
Hi @all:

look here: http://www.antitux.de/showthread.php...860#post121860

brgds

JB

"JP" <JP@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello.
> I have problem with Windows Update within my XP 64bit SP2.
> Recenty I reinstalled my system and installed Windows and update normally.
> But after that first update, I can't access Windows update anymore. I
> automatically redirects the
> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us to the
> old
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp site.
> All I got is the notification Windows Update Error. No error code, just
> that.
> I tried couple of things but nothing works (clearing cache and setting of
> IE, unregistering and registering some DLLs, reinstalling
> WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe etc.).
> Is there a way to change somewhere the old v4 site link to the latest one
> v6?
> Does anybody has suggestion for me?

Eric Brodish [MSFT]

Re: Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6 to
Hi,

Could you please send me the user agent string from your machine that is
experiencing this issue.

The user agent will be found at the following register entries

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings, User Agent

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

This we help us look to see what the issue is.

Eric

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

JP wrote:
> Hello.
> I have problem with Windows Update within my XP 64bit SP2.
> Recenty I reinstalled my system and installed Windows and update normally.
> But after that first update, I can't access Windows update anymore. I
> automatically redirects the
> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us to the
> old http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp site.
> All I got is the notification Windows Update Error. No error code, just
> that. I tried couple of things but nothing works (clearing cache and
> setting of IE, unregistering and registering some DLLs, reinstalling
> WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe etc.).
> Is there a way to change somewhere the old v4 site link to the latest one
> v6? Does anybody has suggestion for me?

Robert Aldwinckle

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there, did you clear the softwaredistribution folder, sometimes this is a magic cure as
> there are redirection files/folders contained within -

This "redirection" probably involves IE's User-Agent so I like your suggestion
of Ramesh's fix to a previous poster for a related symptom... ; )

Subject: Re: Can't use Windows Update
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:08:49 +1100

FYI

Robert
---

> Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

> "JP" <JP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hello.
> | I have problem with Windows Update within my XP 64bit SP2.
> | Recenty I reinstalled my system and installed Windows and update normally.
> | But after that first update, I can't access Windows update anymore. I
> | automatically redirects the
> | http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us to the old
> | http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp site.
> | All I got is the notification Windows Update Error. No error code, just that.

TaurArian

Re: Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6
Hi Robert, interesting theory - along the same lines so to speak -

If anyone wants to check out Ramesh's fix for redirection -
Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates
from our site."
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there, did you clear the softwaredistribution folder, sometimes this is a magic cure as
> > there are redirection files/folders contained within -

> This "redirection" probably involves IE's User-Agent so I like your suggestion
> of Ramesh's fix to a previous poster for a related symptom... ; )

> Subject: Re: Can't use Windows Update
> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:08:49 +1100
>

> FYI
>
> Robert
> ---
>

> > Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

> > "JP" <JP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | Hello.
> > | I have problem with Windows Update within my XP 64bit SP2.
> > | Recenty I reinstalled my system and installed Windows and update normally.
> > | But after that first update, I can't access Windows update anymore. I
> > | automatically redirects the
> > | http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu....aspx?ln=en-us to the old
> > | http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp site.
> > | All I got is the notification Windows Update Error. No error code, just that.

Re: Windows Update Error on XP 64bit: update is redirected from v6
[Note to self: Remember that you've got Ramesh's page bookmarked.]