How To Force Client To Show Yellow Shield When Using WSUS

Andrew Hayes

How To Force Client To Show Yellow Shield When Using WSUS
All our desktops get their updates from our WSUS server via GPO settings, but
they don't always perform the update (usually because they are not turned on
at the time when the updates are scheduled to happen).

In these cases, the Updates Services plug-in shows the computer as needing
updates, but when I then log on locally to that PC, I don't see the yellow
shield icon in the notification bar that allows me to install (Express or
Custom) the downloaded updates.

The only way to install the updates is to go to the Microsoft Update website
and install them from there, which downloads them again even though they're
available from the WSUS server.

How can I cause the Windows Update dialog to appear so I can install the
available updates?

TaurArian

Re: How To Force Client To Show Yellow Shield When Using WSUS
"Andrew Hayes" <AndrewHayes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| All our desktops get their updates from our WSUS server via GPO settings, but
| they don't always perform the update (usually because they are not turned on
| at the time when the updates are scheduled to happen).
|
| In these cases, the Updates Services plug-in shows the computer as needing
| updates, but when I then log on locally to that PC, I don't see the yellow
| shield icon in the notification bar that allows me to install (Express or
| Custom) the downloaded updates.
|
| The only way to install the updates is to go to the Microsoft Update website
| and install them from there, which downloads them again even though they're
| available from the WSUS server.
|
| How can I cause the Windows Update dialog to appear so I can install the
| available updates?

If it can be done, they would know on the WSUS Newsgroup -
Perhaps try the WSUS Newsgroup
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com... date_services

(OE client)

Xposted for convenience

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

Maximilian

Re: How To Force Client To Show Yellow Shield When Using WSUS
wuauclt /detectnow might help - do it and wait a bit.

Other way I did that, would be run Windows Update website, let it detect...
in this case yellow shield often comes up. But we don't want to do it I,
personally, am too lazy for this.
--
_______________
Maximilian

"TaurArian" wrote:

> "Andrew Hayes" <AndrewHayes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | All our desktops get their updates from our WSUS server via GPO settings, but
> | they don't always perform the update (usually because they are not turned on
> | at the time when the updates are scheduled to happen).
> |
> | In these cases, the Updates Services plug-in shows the computer as needing
> | updates, but when I then log on locally to that PC, I don't see the yellow
> | shield icon in the notification bar that allows me to install (Express or
> | Custom) the downloaded updates.
> |
> | The only way to install the updates is to go to the Microsoft Update website
> | and install them from there, which downloads them again even though they're
> | available from the WSUS server.
> |
> | How can I cause the Windows Update dialog to appear so I can install the
> | available updates?
>

> If it can be done, they would know on the WSUS Newsgroup -
> Perhaps try the WSUS Newsgroup
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com... date_services

> (OE client)
>
> Xposted for convenience
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
> Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.|

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Re: How To Force Client To Show Yellow Shield When Using WSUS
"Andrew Hayes" <AndrewHayes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | All our desktops get their updates from our WSUS server via GPO
> settings, but
> | they don't always perform the update (usually because they are not
> turned on
> | at the time when the updates are scheduled to happen).
> |
> | In these cases, the Updates Services plug-in shows the computer as
> needing
> | updates, but when I then log on locally to that PC, I don't see the
> yellow
> | shield icon in the notification bar that allows me to install (Express
> or
> | Custom) the downloaded updates.
> |
> | The only way to install the updates is to go to the Microsoft Update
> website
> | and install them from there, which downloads them again even though
> they're
> | available from the WSUS server.
> |
> | How can I cause the Windows Update dialog to appear so I can install the
> | available updates?

Four things to note, Andrew.

1. By default, if an update is not installed at the scheduled time because
the system is powered off, those updates will be installed one minute after
the next power on -- unless you've disabled that setting. Verify that
"Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations" is set to "Not
Configured" (default: 1 minute), or Enabled, with your choice of delay.

2. Using the interactive features of the Windows Update Agent requires that
the logged on user is a member of the Administrators group on the PC where
the access is being attempted.

3. It's also necessary that the User policy "Remove access to all Windows
Update features" has not been enabled.

4. The shield will only appear after the updates have successfully
downloaded. Have you reviewed the WindowsUpdate.log and confirmed that the
updates were actually detected and downloaded?

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Andrew Hayes

Re: How To Force Client To Show Yellow Shield When Using WSUS
Thanks Maximilian. That's what I needed. Simple really. And I personally feel
it should be an option on the SUS/WSUS client that you see by going to
Automatic Updates in Control Panel (just so I don't forget the command. ;-))

"Maximilian" wrote:

> wuauclt /detectnow might help - do it and wait a bit.
>
> Other way I did that, would be run Windows Update website, let it detect...
> in this case yellow shield often comes up. But we don't want to do it I,
> personally, am too lazy for this.
> --
> _______________
> Maximilian
>

> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > "Andrew Hayes" <AndrewHayes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | All our desktops get their updates from our WSUS server via GPO settings, but
> > | they don't always perform the update (usually because they are not turned on
> > | at the time when the updates are scheduled to happen).
> > |
> > | In these cases, the Updates Services plug-in shows the computer as needing
> > | updates, but when I then log on locally to that PC, I don't see the yellow
> > | shield icon in the notification bar that allows me to install (Express or
> > | Custom) the downloaded updates.
> > |
> > | The only way to install the updates is to go to the Microsoft Update website
> > | and install them from there, which downloads them again even though they're
> > | available from the WSUS server.
> > |
> > | How can I cause the Windows Update dialog to appear so I can install the
> > | available updates?
> >

> > If it can be done, they would know on the WSUS Newsgroup -
> > Perhaps try the WSUS Newsgroup
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com... date_services

> > (OE client)
> >
> > Xposted for convenience
> >
> > --
> > ====================================
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> > ====================================
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
> > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.|

Umma Gumma

Re: How To Force Client To Show Yellow Shield When Using WSUS
I've had a similar issue with the shield. When I place my mouse pointer over
the shield, it disappears and I cannot get it to come back up. I'm showing
all the icons in the system tray so it's not being hidden. When I shutdown
my computer I have the option to "install updates and shut down" so there are
updates to be applied.

Does anyone know of a command that would force the Windows Updates window to
come up? You know the one that gives you the option of doing an express
install or advanced, which lets you see the list of updates to be installed?

Umma Gumma

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:

> "Andrew Hayes" <AndrewHayes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | All our desktops get their updates from our WSUS server via GPO
> > settings, but
> > | they don't always perform the update (usually because they are not
> > turned on
> > | at the time when the updates are scheduled to happen).
> > |
> > | In these cases, the Updates Services plug-in shows the computer as
> > needing
> > | updates, but when I then log on locally to that PC, I don't see the
> > yellow
> > | shield icon in the notification bar that allows me to install (Express
> > or
> > | Custom) the downloaded updates.
> > |
> > | The only way to install the updates is to go to the Microsoft Update
> > website
> > | and install them from there, which downloads them again even though
> > they're
> > | available from the WSUS server.
> > |
> > | How can I cause the Windows Update dialog to appear so I can install the
> > | available updates?

> Four things to note, Andrew.
>
> 1. By default, if an update is not installed at the scheduled time because
> the system is powered off, those updates will be installed one minute after
> the next power on -- unless you've disabled that setting. Verify that
> "Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations" is set to "Not
> Configured" (default: 1 minute), or Enabled, with your choice of delay.
>
> 2. Using the interactive features of the Windows Update Agent requires that
> the logged on user is a member of the Administrators group on the PC where
> the access is being attempted.
>
> 3. It's also necessary that the User policy "Remove access to all Windows
> Update features" has not been enabled.
>
> 4. The shield will only appear after the updates have successfully
> downloaded. Have you reviewed the WindowsUpdate.log and confirmed that the
> updates were actually detected and downloaded?
>

> --
> Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP
> Senior Data Architect, APQC, Houston, Texas

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Me

Re: How To Force Client To Show Yellow Shield When Using WSUS
Did you find the answer to your question below? I sometimes have the same
problem you describe, but I can't consistently cause it to happen, so I can't
test a suggestion further back in the thread, that is, Start, Run, wuauclt
/detectnow, OK.

--
Me

"Umma Gumma" wrote:

> I've had a similar issue with the shield. When I place my mouse pointer over
> the shield, it disappears and I cannot get it to come back up. I'm showing
> all the icons in the system tray so it's not being hidden. When I shutdown
> my computer I have the option to "install updates and shut down" so there are
> updates to be applied.
>
> Does anyone know of a command that would force the Windows Updates window to
> come up? You know the one that gives you the option of doing an express
> install or advanced, which lets you see the list of updates to be installed?
>
> Umma Gumma
>

> "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > "Andrew Hayes" <AndrewHayes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > settings, but
> > > turned on

> > > needing
> > > yellow
> > > or

> > > website
> > > they're

> > Four things to note, Andrew.
> >
> > 1. By default, if an update is not installed at the scheduled time because
> > the system is powered off, those updates will be installed one minute after
> > the next power on -- unless you've disabled that setting. Verify that
> > "Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations" is set to "Not
> > Configured" (default: 1 minute), or Enabled, with your choice of delay.
> >
> > 2. Using the interactive features of the Windows Update Agent requires that
> > the logged on user is a member of the Administrators group on the PC where
> > the access is being attempted.
> >
> > 3. It's also necessary that the User policy "Remove access to all Windows
> > Update features" has not been enabled.
> >
> > 4. The shield will only appear after the updates have successfully
> > downloaded. Have you reviewed the WindowsUpdate.log and confirmed that the
> > updates were actually detected and downloaded?
> >

> > --
> > Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP
> > Senior Data Architect, APQC, Houston, Texas
> > Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2008)
> >
> > MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
> > My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
> > http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
> > My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pro...awrence.Garvin

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Umma Gumma" wrote:
>
>> I've had a similar issue with the shield. When I place my mouse pointer
>> over
>> the shield, it disappears and I cannot get it to come back up. I'm
>> showing
>> all the icons in the system tray so it's not being hidden. When I
>> shutdown
>> my computer I have the option to "install updates and shut down" so there
>> are
>> updates to be applied.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a command that would force the Windows Updates window
>> come up? You know the one that gives you the option of doing an express
>> install or advanced, which lets you see the list of updates to be
>> installed?

> Did you find the answer to your question below? I sometimes have the same
> problem you describe, but I can't consistently cause it to happen, so I
> can't
> test a suggestion further back in the thread, that is, Start, Run, wuauclt
> /detectnow, OK.

Umma's original post never appeared in my reader.

When placing the mouse pointer over the shield and then it disappears, this
may be because the WUA is still downloading content. I have seen this occur
even myself occasionally.

There is no option to force the execution of the WUA UI on WinXP/2003
machines. On Vista/2008/Win7 machines you should use the Windows Update
applet in Control Panel.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Robert Aldwinckle

"Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <lawrence@news.postalias> wrote in message news:uNV1btjfJHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> "Me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:656F8853-882D-4088-AFCB-35F7552D2753@microsoft.com...

> Umma's original post never appeared in my reader.

Can you remember what you had in your reader last April? <eg>

4/7/2008 10:21 AM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...3-95b2f0af2d69

Wow. This cross-post goes back all the way to 1/9/2008 1:43 AM PST

FYI

Robert
---

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

>> Umma's original post never appeared in my reader.

> Can you remember what you had in your reader last April? <eg>
>
> 4/7/2008 10:21 AM PST

Since the datestamp was not included in the post I replied to,
I suppose it wasn't likely I would have known that post was from 9 months
ago.

Although I suppose if I had looked at the sig from my message in the thread,
I would have known it was at least 3 months old. :S

> Wow. This cross-post goes back all the way to 1/9/2008 1:43 AM PST

Interesting.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com