Last night's update knocked out TCP

Jeremy Poynton

Last night's update knocked out TCP
No network connections. Can't run system restore to get rid of the update.
Help please, Microsoft
Andrew Hayes

RE: Last night's update knocked out TCP
More information would be helpful.

Let's start with which OS you have?

Then, if you look at Device Manager, does the NIC have a yellow question
mark against it?

Open a Command Prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL then post the result.

Post the entries in the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log file from the last
update.
Jeremy Poynton

"Andrew Hayes" wrote:

> More information would be helpful.
>
> Let's start with which OS you have?
>
> Then, if you look at Device Manager, does the NIC have a yellow question
> mark against it?
>
> Open a Command Prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL then post the result.
>
> Post the entries in the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log file from the last
> update.

XP SP2. All up todate. Many systems functions broken, can't connect to net,
can't open network connections, BUT AVG update worked so basic connection
there, no network icon in the system tray, Can't look at hardware so can't
answer above. Am running repair install as need PC today.
Andrew Hayes

RE: Last night's update knocked out TCP
> XP SP2. All up todate. Many systems functions broken, can't connect to net,
> can't open network connections, BUT AVG update worked so basic connection
> there, no network icon in the system tray, Can't look at hardware so can't
> answer above. Am running repair install as need PC today.

XP SP2. Good. That's a start.

OK. So you can't access the Device Manager for some reason. Fine with that.
What if you go to Control Panel | Network Connections? What does it show? Are
you on a LAN or using dial-up/VPN?

Still... Would like to see the output from IPCONFIG /ALL, and the most
recent info from the Windows Update log.

Of course, I doubt this is an AU problem unless it downloaded a naff driver,
but then your AVG update wouldn't of worked.
Jeremy Poynton

"Andrew Hayes" wrote:

> > XP SP2. All up todate. Many systems functions broken, can't connect to net,
> > can't open network connections, BUT AVG update worked so basic connection
> > there, no network icon in the system tray, Can't look at hardware so can't
> > answer above. Am running repair install as need PC today.

> XP SP2. Good. That's a start.
>
> OK. So you can't access the Device Manager for some reason. Fine with that.
> What if you go to Control Panel | Network Connections? What does it show? Are
> you on a LAN or using dial-up/VPN?
>
> Still... Would like to see the output from IPCONFIG /ALL, and the most
> recent info from the Windows Update log.
>
> Of course, I doubt this is an AU problem unless it downloaded a naff driver,
> but then your AVG update wouldn't of worked.

All most odd, agreed. I used the net just fine before applying the update -
didn't download anything, didn't install anything. Anyway, the Repair install
has completed, and all seems fine again, happily .... phew.
Jeremy Poynton

"Jeremy Poynton" wrote:

> "Andrew Hayes" wrote:
>
> > > XP SP2. All up todate. Many systems functions broken, can't connect to net,
> > > can't open network connections, BUT AVG update worked so basic connection
> > > there, no network icon in the system tray, Can't look at hardware so can't
> > > answer above. Am running repair install as need PC today.

> > XP SP2. Good. That's a start.
> >
> > OK. So you can't access the Device Manager for some reason. Fine with that.
> > What if you go to Control Panel | Network Connections? What does it show? Are
> > you on a LAN or using dial-up/VPN?
> >
> > Still... Would like to see the output from IPCONFIG /ALL, and the most
> > recent info from the Windows Update log.
> >
> > Of course, I doubt this is an AU problem unless it downloaded a naff driver,
> > but then your AVG update wouldn't of worked.

> All most odd, agreed. I used the net just fine before applying the update -
> didn't download anything, didn't install anything. Anyway, the Repair install
> has completed, and all seems fine again, happily .... phew.

Further investigations. First reboot after the above returned PC to no
network condition. Server (lanmanserver) service stuck on "starting".
Dependent on Computer Browser service, which had failed to start. Judicious
googling suggesting uninstalling File & Printer sharing, and this has done
the trick. Hopefully it will re-install OK without further wasting of time!