Error Code 8024402c

Glen1567

Error Code 8024402c
Sometime back in november 13, 2007, a Windows Vista update was autoimatically
installed and i haven't been able to update Windows or Windows Defender.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error Code 8024402c
8024402c WU_E_PT_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
" Generic unexpected protocol talker failure
Winhttp SendRequest/ReceiveResponse failed with 0x80072EE7 error. Either
the proxy server or target server name can not be resolved.
Corresponding to ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. Stop/Restart service
or reboot the machine if you see this error frequently. "

If rebooting the system doesn't bring a resolution to this issue, try
this :
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
4. In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box, click to select
the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Internet Explorer.
6. Click Start, click Search, type Command Prompt, and then click OK.
7. *Right* click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as administrator'
Enter a password or click Continue if no password is in use.
8. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
a. proxycfg -d
b. net stop wuauserv
c. net start wuauserv
d. exit

Restart the system and see if it can access the update servers.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Glen1567 wrote:

> Sometime back in november 13, 2007, a Windows Vista update was autoimatically
> installed and i haven't been able to update Windows or Windows Defender.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated

BillScott

Re: Error Code 8024402c
Tried the proxycfg command, but it returned a command not recognised error.
Any sggestions.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 8024402c WU_E_PT_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
> " Generic unexpected protocol talker failure
> Winhttp SendRequest/ReceiveResponse failed with 0x80072EE7 error. Either
> the proxy server or target server name can not be resolved.
> Corresponding to ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. Stop/Restart service
> or reboot the machine if you see this error frequently. "
>
> If rebooting the system doesn't bring a resolution to this issue, try
> this :
> 1. Open Internet Explorer.
> 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> 3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
> 4. In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box, click to select
> the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.
> 5. Quit Internet Explorer.
> 6. Click Start, click Search, type Command Prompt, and then click OK.
> 7. *Right* click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as administrator'
> Enter a password or click Continue if no password is in use.
> 8. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
> a. proxycfg -d
> b. net stop wuauserv
> c. net start wuauserv
> d. exit
>
> Restart the system and see if it can access the update servers.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Glen1567 wrote:
>
> > Sometime back in november 13, 2007, a Windows Vista update was autoimatically
> > installed and i haven't been able to update Windows or Windows Defender.
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error Code 8024402c
Please note the command must be entered one way only.
There's a space after the g and before the -

proxycfg -d

It *should* work in Vista, too. If not, run

proxycfg /?

to see the available commands. Look for the one that will removes a
proxy server.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BillScott wrote:

> Tried the proxycfg command, but it returned a command not recognised error.
> Any sggestions.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>8024402c WU_E_PT_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
>>" Generic unexpected protocol talker failure
>>Winhttp SendRequest/ReceiveResponse failed with 0x80072EE7 error. Either
>>the proxy server or target server name can not be resolved.
>>Corresponding to ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. Stop/Restart service
>>or reboot the machine if you see this error frequently. "
>>
>>If rebooting the system doesn't bring a resolution to this issue, try
>>this :
>>1. Open Internet Explorer.
>>2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
>>3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
>>4. In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box, click to select
>>the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.
>>5. Quit Internet Explorer.
>>6. Click Start, click Search, type Command Prompt, and then click OK.
>>7. *Right* click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as administrator'
>>Enter a password or click Continue if no password is in use.
>>8. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
>>a. proxycfg -d
>>b. net stop wuauserv
>>c. net start wuauserv
>>d. exit
>>
>>Restart the system and see if it can access the update servers.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>Glen1567 wrote:
>>

>>>Sometime back in november 13, 2007, a Windows Vista update was autoimatically
>>>installed and i haven't been able to update Windows or Windows Defender.
>>>Any suggestions would be appreciated

BillScott

Re: Error Code 8024402c
Mow, it returns the message 'proxycfg is not recognised as an internal or
external command, operable program or batch file', but then it is VISTA !

Thanks for trying, Bill

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Please note the command must be entered one way only.
> There's a space after the g and before the -
>
> proxycfg -d
>
> It *should* work in Vista, too. If not, run
>
> proxycfg /?
>
> to see the available commands. Look for the one that will removes a
> proxy server.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> BillScott wrote:
>
> > Tried the proxycfg command, but it returned a command not recognised error.
> > Any sggestions.
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>8024402c WU_E_PT_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
> >>" Generic unexpected protocol talker failure
> >>Winhttp SendRequest/ReceiveResponse failed with 0x80072EE7 error. Either
> >>the proxy server or target server name can not be resolved.
> >>Corresponding to ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. Stop/Restart service
> >>or reboot the machine if you see this error frequently. "
> >>
> >>If rebooting the system doesn't bring a resolution to this issue, try
> >>this :
> >>1. Open Internet Explorer.
> >>2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> >>3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
> >>4. In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box, click to select
> >>the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.
> >>5. Quit Internet Explorer.
> >>6. Click Start, click Search, type Command Prompt, and then click OK.
> >>7. *Right* click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as administrator'
> >>Enter a password or click Continue if no password is in use.
> >>8. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
> >>a. proxycfg -d
> >>b. net stop wuauserv
> >>c. net start wuauserv
> >>d. exit
> >>
> >>Restart the system and see if it can access the update servers.
> >>
> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error Code 8024402c
Eye yi yi ... even proxycfg /? doesn't work ? I'm not familiar with the
different flavors of Vista, Bill. Am working on a Home Premium system
today and will report back with my findings.
In the meantime, can you access TCP/IPv4 and see if it's set to
Automatically obtain an IP and DNS server address ?
It's in Network Center > Manage Connections > Active connection
[I think, as I do not have Vista installed and am going by a rapidly,
aging memory <w> ]
In XP one could double click the Network icon in the Notification tray,
and the click the Properties button in the Local Area Connection Status
window to reach TCP/IP's properties.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BillScott wrote:

> Mow, it returns the message 'proxycfg is not recognised as an internal or
> external command, operable program or batch file', but then it is VISTA !
>
> Thanks for trying, Bill
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Please note the command must be entered one way only.
>>There's a space after the g and before the -
>>
>>proxycfg -d
>>
>>It *should* work in Vista, too. If not, run
>>
>>proxycfg /?
>>
>>to see the available commands. Look for the one that will removes a
>>proxy server.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>BillScott wrote:
>>

>>>Tried the proxycfg command, but it returned a command not recognised error.
>>>Any sggestions.

stylistlaurie

RE: Error Code 8024402c
Try going into the network center and manage network connections. Select the
connection then select diagnose this connection. For me an error with the IP
addresses came up. It then allowed me to automatically configure to the
correct settings.

"Glen1567" wrote:

> Sometime back in november 13, 2007, a Windows Vista update was autoimatically
> installed and i haven't been able to update Windows or Windows Defender.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated

Glen1567

RE: Error Code 8024402c
Tried this avenue but it says there are no connection problems.
Tried the "advance connection" normal fix procedures...still no fix.
Lately when I start up Windows (Vista) I get 10 or more start up programs
that fail to start, and the first 2 letters are dm***.exe
I may have inadvertently deleted the Dell Monitoring program thus those
programs show up, although they also refer to C:/windows/system32/Run files
Any other help or suggestions?