Solution to 0x8024D007 problem!

Dread Pirate Roberts

Solution to 0x8024D007 problem!
I kept getting the 0x8024D007 error when I tired Windows Updates. I was also,
at boot-time, getting an error that the system could not find WTSAPI32.DLL. I
thought they were separate errors. I went to a different machine and found
out where the WTSAPI32.DLL module was (c:\windows\system32). I copied it to
my machine in that subdirectory. Suddenly, Windows Update began sending me
updates!

The solution is to install WTSAPI32.DLL into c:\windows\system32! If you
can't find a copy of it, I believe you can use EXPAND.EXE (on your original
Windows disk) to replace it. The command would be, I think, EXPAND
WTSAPI32.DL_ c:\windows\system32
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Solution to 0x8024D007 problem!
0x8024D007 WU_E_SETUP_REGISTRATION_FAILED
An update to the Windows Update Agent was skipped due to a directive in
the wuident.cab file. This depends upon wuident.cab directive, currently
as follows. There is no skip directive in the wuident (although there
have been as part of test), so this error shouldn’t be present in recent
logs.

Sorry, just copying wtsapi32.dll to %windir%\system32 did NOT resolve
the error 0x8024D007 .
wtsapi32.dll is related to Windows Terminal Server SDK APIs
which has NOTHING to do with Windows Updates. Besides, did you ever
register the .dll ?

What happened was that 'something' was preventing the software
components required for the updating process from being updated
properly. That issue was resolved and is unrelated to the copying of the
..dll.
Check the WindowsUpdate.log to confirm if you doubt this explanation.
Also, check the System Event log for an update to Automatic Updates.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:

> I kept getting the 0x8024D007 error when I tired Windows Updates. I was also,
> at boot-time, getting an error that the system could not find WTSAPI32.DLL. I
> thought they were separate errors. I went to a different machine and found
> out where the WTSAPI32.DLL module was (c:\windows\system32). I copied it to
> my machine in that subdirectory. Suddenly, Windows Update began sending me
> updates!
>
> The solution is to install WTSAPI32.DLL into c:\windows\system32! If you
> can't find a copy of it, I believe you can use EXPAND.EXE (on your original
> Windows disk) to replace it. The command would be, I think, EXPAND
> WTSAPI32.DL_ c:\windows\system32

Dread Pirate Roberts

Re: Solution to 0x8024D007 problem!
Darn! I thought I had it nailed! So many other people have had the same
problem, and I didn't see my solution... and then it turns out to be a quirk.
So, I guess I don't have the solution. My son (the systems architect) told me
that wtsapi32.dll had nothing to do with the 0x8024D007 Windows Update
problem, thus agreeing with you, but I thought I'd found it. Sorry about
that.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 0x8024D007 WU_E_SETUP_REGISTRATION_FAILED
> An update to the Windows Update Agent was skipped due to a directive in
> the wuident.cab file. This depends upon wuident.cab directive, currently
> as follows. There is no skip directive in the wuident (although there
> have been as part of test), so this error shouldn’t be present in recent
> logs.
>
> Sorry, just copying wtsapi32.dll to %windir%\system32 did NOT resolve
> the error 0x8024D007 .
> wtsapi32.dll is related to Windows Terminal Server SDK APIs
> which has NOTHING to do with Windows Updates. Besides, did you ever
> register the .dll ?
>
> What happened was that 'something' was preventing the software
> components required for the updating process from being updated
> properly. That issue was resolved and is unrelated to the copying of the
> ..dll.
> Check the WindowsUpdate.log to confirm if you doubt this explanation.
> Also, check the System Event log for an update to Automatic Updates.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:
>
> > I kept getting the 0x8024D007 error when I tired Windows Updates. I was also,
> > at boot-time, getting an error that the system could not find WTSAPI32.DLL. I
> > thought they were separate errors. I went to a different machine and found
> > out where the WTSAPI32.DLL module was (c:\windows\system32). I copied it to
> > my machine in that subdirectory. Suddenly, Windows Update began sending me
> > updates!
> >
> > The solution is to install WTSAPI32.DLL into c:\windows\system32! If you
> > can't find a copy of it, I believe you can use EXPAND.EXE (on your original
> > Windows disk) to replace it. The command would be, I think, EXPAND
> > WTSAPI32.DL_ c:\windows\system32

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Solution to 0x8024D007 problem!
No problem at all. Just glad to hear that your system can update and
wanted to let others know what the story was, Dread Pirate Roberts.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten