Unable to personalise Windows Update

morisimo

Unable to personalise Windows Update
I am running SP2 and would like to download all the latest hotfixe/updates
etc. I have read about being able to personalise windows update by following
the "Other Options" link in the left hand pane.

However, I do not see the other options link and cannot "Personalise Windows
Update", which is very frustrating as I don't want to manually select all the
updates in the catalog.

Am I missing something here, or can you not personalise v6 of windows update?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Unable to personalise Windows Update
XP SP2 ? Or, another version of Windows ?
There's a ' Change settings ' link in the left frame, but no " Other
Options " is visible here.
Just what are you attempting to personalize ?

BTW, one can download updates for XP SP2 from here, too and save them
for future use:
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

morisimo wrote:

> I am running SP2 and would like to download all the latest hotfixe/updates
> etc. I have read about being able to personalise windows update by following
> the "Other Options" link in the left hand pane.
>
> However, I do not see the other options link and cannot "Personalise Windows
> Update", which is very frustrating as I don't want to manually select all the
> updates in the catalog.
>
> Am I missing something here, or can you not personalise v6 of windows update?

morisimo

Re: Unable to personalise Windows Update
Apologies for my lack of clarity...

I am running XP SP2, and what I am trying to do is use windows update to
find the updates I need and then to link to the catalog to permantly download
the ones I need, as is described in this KB article
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166), specifically looking at "Method 2"
for accessing the catalog.

I am not seeing the "Personalise Windows Update" option at all. Is there
still a way to do this without resorting to manually cross referencing
between Windows Update and the catalog?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> XP SP2 ? Or, another version of Windows ?
> There's a ' Change settings ' link in the left frame, but no " Other
> Options " is visible here.
> Just what are you attempting to personalize ?
>
> BTW, one can download updates for XP SP2 from here, too and save them
> for future use:
> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> morisimo wrote:
>
> > I am running SP2 and would like to download all the latest hotfixe/updates
> > etc. I have read about being able to personalise windows update by following
> > the "Other Options" link in the left hand pane.
> >
> > However, I do not see the other options link and cannot "Personalise Windows
> > Update", which is very frustrating as I don't want to manually select all the
> > updates in the catalog.
> >
> > Am I missing something here, or can you not personalise v6 of windows update?

TaurArian

Re: Unable to personalise Windows Update
As a matter of interest, I had a look around on MU and "Personalise Windows Update" wasnt
there.

====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"morisimo" <morisimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Apologies for my lack of clarity...
|
| I am running XP SP2, and what I am trying to do is use windows update to
| find the updates I need and then to link to the catalog to permantly download
| the ones I need, as is described in this KB article
| (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166), specifically looking at "Method 2"
| for accessing the catalog.
|
| I am not seeing the "Personalise Windows Update" option at all. Is there
| still a way to do this without resorting to manually cross referencing
| between Windows Update and the catalog?
|
| "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
|
| > XP SP2 ? Or, another version of Windows ?
| > There's a ' Change settings ' link in the left frame, but no " Other
| > Options " is visible here.
| > Just what are you attempting to personalize ?
| >
| > BTW, one can download updates for XP SP2 from here, too and save them
| > for future use:
| > http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
| >
| > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
| > ===============
| > *-343-* FDNY
| > Never Forgotten
| > ===============
| >

| > morisimo wrote:
| >
| > > I am running SP2 and would like to download all the latest hotfixe/updates
| > > etc. I have read about being able to personalise windows update by following
| > > the "Other Options" link in the left hand pane.
| > >
| > > However, I do not see the other options link and cannot "Personalise Windows
| > > Update", which is very frustrating as I don't want to manually select all the
| > > updates in the catalog.
| > >
| > > Am I missing something here, or can you not personalise v6 of windows update?

morisimo

Re: Unable to personalise Windows Update
Yeah, I tried that too. I am sure there must be a simple way to use
Windows/Microsoft Update as a way of identiying catalog downloads. There used
to be, so there should still be!

"TaurArian" wrote:

> As a matter of interest, I had a look around on MU and "Personalise Windows Update" wasnt
> there.

> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "morisimo" <morisimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Apologies for my lack of clarity...
> |
> | I am running XP SP2, and what I am trying to do is use windows update to
> | find the updates I need and then to link to the catalog to permantly download
> | the ones I need, as is described in this KB article
> | (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166), specifically looking at "Method 2"
> | for accessing the catalog.
> |
> | I am not seeing the "Personalise Windows Update" option at all. Is there
> | still a way to do this without resorting to manually cross referencing
> | between Windows Update and the catalog?
> |
> | "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> |
> | > XP SP2 ? Or, another version of Windows ?
> | > There's a ' Change settings ' link in the left frame, but no " Other
> | > Options " is visible here.
> | > Just what are you attempting to personalize ?
> | >
> | > BTW, one can download updates for XP SP2 from here, too and save them
> | > for future use:
> | > http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
> | >
> | > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> | > ===============
> | > *-343-* FDNY
> | > Never Forgotten

Robert Aldwinckle

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23JUFmZqUIHA.1744@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> As a matter of interest, I had a look around on MU and "Personalise Windows Update" wasnt
> there.

Perhaps he could do something with the RSS feed? ; )

Robert
---