Office xp service pack 3 will not install

bean

Office xp service pack 3 will not install
I have been trying to update this forever. I dont have a disk, purchased
from gateway and was not supplied with a disk.

I always get the same two errors.

1st message

The feature you are trying to use in on a network
resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alterante path to a folder
containing the installation package 'PROPLUS.MSI' in the
box below.

2nd message

The file " is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft
Office XP Professional with FrontPage. Try to find the installatio package
'PROPLUS.MSI' in a folder from which you can install Microsoft Office XP
Professional with FrontPage.

Any help would be appreciated this has been going on for far to long, it
attempts to update every day.

Thanks !
Shenan Stanley

Re: Office xp service pack 3 will not install
bean wrote:
> I have been trying to update this forever. I dont have a disk,
> purchased from gateway and was not supplied with a disk.
>
> I always get the same two errors.
>
> 1st message
>
> The feature you are trying to use in on a network
> resource that is unavailable.
>
> Click OK to try again, or enter an alterante path to a folder
> containing the installation package 'PROPLUS.MSI' in the
> box below.
>
> 2nd message
>
> The file " is not a valid installation package for the product
> Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage. Try to find the
> installatio package 'PROPLUS.MSI' in a folder from which you can
> install Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage.
>
> Any help would be appreciated this has been going on for far to
> long, it attempts to update every day.

You may end up being unable to update your Office XP to SP3 given you have
no media.

However - you are welcome to try what Microsoft advertises as SP3 for Office
XP if you don't have access to your original installation media - although I
have found that to not be true in all cases - especially if, for example,
Gateway installed from their 'administrative installation point' (souinds
like they might have given the network message.)

Tried getting the stand-alone installer?

Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

Released way back on 3/30/2004. What I suggest is that you download from
the above link the "OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe" file and save it
to your desktop. (57.5MB - not 16MB!) Try running it.

(It states, on that page, "OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe: Download
this file if you do not have access to your installation source...")

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

bean

Re: Office xp service pack 3 will not install
thanks, I tried it but it gave me the same error again...any other suggestions

bean wrote:
> thanks, I tried it but it gave me the same error again...any other
> suggestions

As I stated - without the media - you may be out of luck.

Contact those you bought the computer from (Gateway you said) for
assistance. They had to give you a way to restore the system to its 'as
shipped' state. They can better tell you what that method is. It could be
actual installation media, system restoration CD/DVDs, a restore/recovery
partition, the files on the hard disk drive in some other means, the ability
to make said media yourself in a one time or many time process they supply,
etc...

Dependent on the method they employeed - you may end up having to purchase
(if they even still supply them) the media from Gateway.

You other option is to find someone with the media for Office XP and fix
your install so it thinks that media is the source and then apply the patch
with that media in the drive.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

bean

Re: Office xp service pack 3 will not install
Okay I located the gateway disks they gave me, one says drivers, one says
operating system, and one says applications. I tried all three trying to
locate the 'PROPLUS.MSI'...with no luck. I have the XP-Home addition, the
error states somethnig about Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage

bean wrote:
> Okay I located the gateway disks they gave me, one says drivers,
> one says operating system, and one says applications. I tried all
> three trying to locate the 'PROPLUS.MSI'...with no luck. I have
> the XP-Home addition, the error states somethnig about Microsoft
> Office XP Professional with FrontPage

More than likely - you would use the applications CD - however - as I stated
before - you may not actually have what you need and you *will* have to
contact Gateway for assistance. Gateway chose to give you - instead of
actual installation media - restoration media.
They created their own installation set/media and called it "applications'
and put it on one CD - so that if you re-installed using their 'operating
system' CD - you would eventually need to use the 'applications' CD to get
everything that wasn't included with the Operating System back onto the
machine.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP