Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails

RussM

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails
Over the past few days I have checked for Windows updates & the only one
currently listed for my machine is Windows Installer 3.1, but each time I
click the download & install button, it takes an eternity for the download to
take place & then as the installation process is about to complete I get a
window telling me it has failed.
When I click on the ? mark button against the failure (in my updates
history) I keep getting the follow explanation,
Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x80246008
Try to install the update again,

I have also had an error code appear, relating to the Background Intelligent
Transfer Service, the code being, 2147024873.

Can anyone out there please help?

--
Best regards, RussM
TaurArian

Re: Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails
You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the "0x80246008"
code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from
the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"RussM" <RussM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Over the past few days I have checked for Windows updates & the only one
| currently listed for my machine is Windows Installer 3.1, but each time I
| click the download & install button, it takes an eternity for the download to
| take place & then as the installation process is about to complete I get a
| window telling me it has failed.
| When I click on the ? mark button against the failure (in my updates
| history) I keep getting the follow explanation,
| Installation Failure
|
| Error Code: 0x80246008
| Try to install the update again,
|
| I have also had an error code appear, relating to the Background Intelligent
| Transfer Service, the code being, 2147024873.
|
| Can anyone out there please help?
|

| --
| Best regards, RussM

RussM

Re: Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails
I followed the embedded link & tried the various ways to START the Background
Intelligent Transfer Service, but each time BITS would not START and the same
error code, 2147024873, appeared when BITS failed to start.
Is BITS a Microsoft system?
If NO to the above, how do I find out who it is?
The pop-up Warning Window does state to contact the "vendor" if BITS is not
a Microsoft product.
Would the "vendor" be the company who built & supplied my PC, i.e. DELL?
--
Best regards, RussM

"TaurArian" wrote:

> You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the "0x80246008"
> code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from
> the Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "RussM" <RussM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Over the past few days I have checked for Windows updates & the only one
> | currently listed for my machine is Windows Installer 3.1, but each time I
> | click the download & install button, it takes an eternity for the download to
> | take place & then as the installation process is about to complete I get a
> | window telling me it has failed.
> | When I click on the ? mark button against the failure (in my updates
> | history) I keep getting the follow explanation,
> | Installation Failure
> |
> | Error Code: 0x80246008
> | Try to install the update again,
> |
> | I have also had an error code appear, relating to the Background Intelligent
> | Transfer Service, the code being, 2147024873.
> |
> | Can anyone out there please help?
> |

> | --
> | Best regards, RussM

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails
Bits is MS.

Provided by MS to resolve this error by another poster (WinXP)

" Step 1:

Install MSI 3.1 via the following link:

Please install Windows Installer 3.1, restart and try the updates again.
If possible, please disable all firewall or anti-virus applications first.

Step 2:

Go to Start -< Run, type in services.msc and press Enter. Please check
the following services:

"Remote Procedure Call" (RPCSS) should be enabled, Automatic
"COM+ Event System" (EventSystem) should be enabled, Manual
"System Event Notification Service" (SENS) should be enabled, Automatic
"Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) should be enabled, Manual
"Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" (SWPRV) should be enabled, manual.

Step 3:

Go to Start -> Run, type in regedit and press Enter. Navigate to:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\SvcHost

In the right pane, double-click to open the netsvcs key. Under Value
Data, add BITS to the list of services. Click OK. Exit the registry.
Restart the system and check out Windows update again. If still fails,
proceed to Step 4:

Step 4:

Click Start. Choose Run. In the Run box, type

regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Click OK.
Click Start. Choose Run. In the Run box, type

regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Click OK.

Step 5:

Go to command prompt (Start -> Run -> type in cmd and click OK), run the
following command

Reg add
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BITS\Parameters
/v ServiceDll /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %windir%\System32\qmgr.dll

(All one line. Since this command is complex, please copy it and right
click on the Command Prompt window -> Paste, then Enter.)

Then please restart the PC and retry Windows Update

If the above command does not work, please try the following again:

Reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestor e\FilesNotToBackup

Restart the PC and retry Windows Update. If still no success, go to Step 6:

Step 6:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network

(Note: Application Data is a hidden folder, so ensure you go to My
Computer -> Tools -> Folder options -> View, check Show hidden
files/folders)

Delete the Downloader folder. "

--
====================================

|I followed the embedded link & tried the various ways to START the Background
| Intelligent Transfer Service, but each time BITS would not START and the same
| error code, 2147024873, appeared when BITS failed to start.
| Is BITS a Microsoft system?
| If NO to the above, how do I find out who it is?
| The pop-up Warning Window does state to contact the "vendor" if BITS is not
| a Microsoft product.
| Would the "vendor" be the company who built & supplied my PC, i.e. DELL?
| --
| Best regards, RussM
|

| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the
"0x80246008"
| > code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or
from
| > the Microsoft Update Web site
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337
| >
| > --
| > ====================================
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
| > ====================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
| > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
| >

| > "RussM" <RussM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Over the past few days I have checked for Windows updates & the only one
| > | currently listed for my machine is Windows Installer 3.1, but each time I
| > | click the download & install button, it takes an eternity for the download to
| > | take place & then as the installation process is about to complete I get a
| > | window telling me it has failed.
| > | When I click on the ? mark button against the failure (in my updates
| > | history) I keep getting the follow explanation,
| > | Installation Failure
| > |
| > | Error Code: 0x80246008
| > | Try to install the update again,
| > |
| > | I have also had an error code appear, relating to the Background Intelligent
| > | Transfer Service, the code being, 2147024873.
| > |
| > | Can anyone out there please help?
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Best regards, RussM

Re: Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails
Windows version? Did you just reinstall Windows?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RussM wrote:
> Over the past few days I have checked for Windows updates & the only one
> currently listed for my machine is Windows Installer 3.1, but each time I
> click the download & install button, it takes an eternity for the download
> to take place & then as the installation process is about to complete I
> get
> a window telling me it has failed.
> When I click on the ? mark button against the failure (in my updates
> history) I keep getting the follow explanation,
> Installation Failure
>
> Error Code: 0x80246008
> Try to install the update again,
>
> I have also had an error code appear, relating to the Background
> Intelligent
> Transfer Service, the code being, 2147024873.
>
> Can anyone out there please help?

brad

Re: Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails
Hi im having the same problem as russ,i just installed windows xp
professional.and it still does it every time i try to down load updates,every
other update is down loaded fine.cheers brad

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows version? Did you just reinstall Windows?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> RussM wrote:
> > Over the past few days I have checked for Windows updates & the only one
> > currently listed for my machine is Windows Installer 3.1, but each time I
> > click the download & install button, it takes an eternity for the download
> > to take place & then as the installation process is about to complete I
> > get
> > a window telling me it has failed.
> > When I click on the ? mark button against the failure (in my updates
> > history) I keep getting the follow explanation,
> > Installation Failure
> >
> > Error Code: 0x80246008
> > Try to install the update again,
> >
> > I have also had an error code appear, relating to the Background
> > Intelligent
> > Transfer Service, the code being, 2147024873.
> >
> > Can anyone out there please help?

Re: Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails
Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

NB: Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery installs.

brad wrote:
> Hi im having the same problem as russ,i just installed windows xp
> professional.and it still does it every time i try to down load
> updates,every other update is down loaded fine.cheers brad
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Windows version? Did you just reinstall Windows?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> RussM wrote:
>>> Over the past few days I have checked for Windows updates & the only one
>>> currently listed for my machine is Windows Installer 3.1, but each time
>>> click the download & install button, it takes an eternity for the
>>> download
>>> to take place & then as the installation process is about to complete I
>>> get
>>> a window telling me it has failed.
>>> When I click on the ? mark button against the failure (in my updates
>>> history) I keep getting the follow explanation,
>>> Installation Failure
>>>
>>> Error Code: 0x80246008
>>> Try to install the update again,
>>>
>>> I have also had an error code appear, relating to the Background
>>> Intelligent
>>> Transfer Service, the code being, 2147024873.
>>>
>>> Can anyone out there please help?

Betteboop

Re: Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails
I am having the same problem with a new install Windows XP Home and a new
install of Windows Live one care

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Betteboop wrote:
> I am having the same problem with a new install Windows XP Home and a new
> install of Windows Live one care
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft
>> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
>> installation:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>>
>> NB: Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery
>> installs. --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> brad wrote:
>>> Hi im having the same problem as russ,i just installed windows xp
>>> professional.and it still does it every time i try to down load
>>> updates,every other update is down loaded fine.cheers brad

Lawrence Jay (Malta)

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 download fails

I receive the sames message and I cannot really find a SIMPLE solution to
this ongoing problem with other Windows XP users.

Would be nice if Microsoft wopuld address this problem in SIMPLE language.

Come on Bill Gates, you know it makes sense!!