Error 0x80072EE7

Vaishali Jain (India)

Error 0x80072EE7
Everytime i check for updates i recieve the error no. 0c80072EE7.
i have tried my level best to resolve it but could not succeed.
Kindly help me out.
I am not able to update my system for past 2 months.
thanx a lot
TaurArian

Re: Error 0x80072EE7
Assuming you have WinXP.

This error code translates to ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT. This could be caused by
firewall software blocking the Windows Update Site.
You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error
0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update
Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you see the 0x80072EE7 error
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows
Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821
0x80072EE7 error code

For Vista:
If you receive Windows Update error 80072ee7 while checking for updates, you might need to
change or remove static IP addresses for the Windows Update service. Addresses are stored
in an operating system file, called the Hosts file.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...6320f1033.mspx
--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Vaishali Jain (India)" <Vaishali Jain (India)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Everytime i check for updates i recieve the error no. 0c80072EE7.
| i have tried my level best to resolve it but could not succeed.
| Kindly help me out.
| I am not able to update my system for past 2 months.
| thanx a lot

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 0x80072EE7
Open your Local Area Connection via Network Connections in Control
Panel, then click Properties.
Click on TCP/IP, click Properties.
Make sure that "Obtain an IP address Automatically" is selected
Make sure that "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected.

If already marked as such and no joy, then see if the system can access
this page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic76554.html

If yes, then follow Steps 1 - 11 to run FixWareout.exe
Please post the 'report.txt' as described in Step 11 so that we can see
if the system was infected or still is.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Vaishali Jain (India) wrote:

> Everytime i check for updates i recieve the error no. 0c80072EE7.
> i have tried my level best to resolve it but could not succeed.
> Kindly help me out.
> I am not able to update my system for past 2 months.
> thanx a lot

Paul H.

Re: Error 0x80072EE7
Tnanks but afterrunning around doing every proceedure you all have in your
what to do. I found out that I had a hijack infection and after doiwn loading
a fix from BleepingComputer.com; everything is doing fine. The hijacker poses
as a anti= virus program which wants you to pay them for the privilege of
taking out the crap they infected you with.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Assuming you have WinXP.
>
> This error code translates to ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT. This could be caused by
> firewall software blocking the Windows Update Site.
> You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error
> 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update
> Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
>
> When searching for available updates on the Update site, you see the 0x80072EE7 error
> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False
>
> You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows
> Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821
> 0x80072EE7 error code
>
> For Vista:
> If you receive Windows Update error 80072ee7 while checking for updates, you might need to
> change or remove static IP addresses for the Windows Update service. Addresses are stored
> in an operating system file, called the Hosts file.
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...6320f1033.mspx
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "Vaishali Jain (India)" <Vaishali Jain (India)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Everytime i check for updates i recieve the error no. 0c80072EE7.
> | i have tried my level best to resolve it but could not succeed.
> | Kindly help me out.
> | I am not able to update my system for past 2 months.
> | thanx a lot

Paul H.

RE: Error 0x80072EE7
Follow Mowgreen's advice- THey will happilly work through a solution for your
specific problem, I downloaded their Fixwareout file and it cleaned out the
little nasty and everything was clear, blue sailing (and that was after I
tried all my Adware out programs and a Microsoft 5 hour or so Malware
cleaning - nothngworked until I went to CleepingComputer). Good luck!

"Vaishali Jain (India)" wrote:

> Everytime i check for updates i recieve the error no. 0c80072EE7.
> i have tried my level best to resolve it but could not succeed.
> Kindly help me out.
> I am not able to update my system for past 2 months.
> thanx a lot

SoCalCal

Re: Error 0x80072EE7
This fix worked like a Champ! Thank you very much!!

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Open your Local Area Connection via Network Connections in Control
> Panel, then click Properties.
> Click on TCP/IP, click Properties.
> Make sure that "Obtain an IP address Automatically" is selected
> Make sure that "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected.
>
> If already marked as such and no joy, then see if the system can access
> this page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic76554.html
>
> If yes, then follow Steps 1 - 11 to run FixWareout.exe
> Please post the 'report.txt' as described in Step 11 so that we can see
> if the system was infected or still is.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Vaishali Jain (India) wrote:
>
> > Everytime i check for updates i recieve the error no. 0c80072EE7.
> > i have tried my level best to resolve it but could not succeed.
> > Kindly help me out.
> > I am not able to update my system for past 2 months.
> > thanx a lot

Calven

RE: Error 0x80072EE7

This error is most likely caused by one of the following conditions:

1. Some third party programs affect the Windows Update service.
2. DNS was improperly configured.
3. The Windows Update Temporary folder is corrupted.

Let us refer to following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If you are
running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web
accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet
connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I
recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the
Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again after
completing the update process.

Step 1: Configure the connection to obtain an IP address automatically
1. Click "Start", click "Run", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotations) and
press "Enter".
2. Right-click the network connection and click "Properties".
3. Click to highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click "Properties".
4. Check "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address
automatically".
5. Click "OK".

Step 2: Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder
====================================
1. Click Start, click Run, and type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press
Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window to stop the
Automatic Updates service.

Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it
failed, please let me know before performing any further steps and include
any error messages you may have received when it failed.

2. Click Start, click Run, and type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and
press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
4. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the
quotes) to rename this folder.
5. Click Start, click Run, and type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press
Enter.

Type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened
window to restart the Automatic Updates service.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully started. However, if it failed, please let me know before
performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have
received when it failed.

Best Regards,

Calven

Carol

RE: Error 0x80072EE7
I am having the same problem and I am very irritated that I'm not able to
update my computer. Can someone help? error# 0x80072EE7 comes up everytime I
use Microsoft Update. What could be the problem? HELP is needed so I can
finally update my computer. Thanks.

"Vaishali Jain (India)" wrote:

> Everytime i check for updates i recieve the error no. 0c80072EE7.
> i have tried my level best to resolve it but could not succeed.
> Kindly help me out.
> I am not able to update my system for past 2 months.
> thanx a lot

Zadig Galbaras

Re: Error 0x80072EE7
Sounds to me some software is blocking the bits and bytes...
Using proxy server or firewall?
Try turning them of during update...

--

Regards
Zadig Galbaras

"Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
>I am having the same problem and I am very irritated that I'm not able to
> update my computer. Can someone help? error# 0x80072EE7 comes up everytime
> use Microsoft Update. What could be the problem? HELP is needed so I can
> finally update my computer. Thanks.
>
> "Vaishali Jain (India)" wrote:
>
>> Everytime i check for updates i recieve the error no. 0c80072EE7.
>> i have tried my level best to resolve it but could not succeed.
>> Kindly help me out.
>> I am not able to update my system for past 2 months.
>> thanx a lot

Les Patypus

Re: Error 0x80072EE7
Many thanks. I was at my wits end, as MS suggests only one explanation; the
hosts file content. Not the cause in my case. Others may need to be reminded
to do something similar with their equivalent WIRELESS connection, as I had
to. I would never have sussed this without your advice to the original post.
You are indeed a star! Les.