Error Code: 0x80242006 Windows xp

Cash69

Error Code: 0x80242006 Windows xp
Got this error message after i reinstalled(repaired by downloading from
install site and installed over bugged ie7) ie7. Any ideas on how to fix
this???

Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x80242006
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
updates)

Print | Close

Hal

RE: Error Code: 0x80242006 Windows xp
I got the same "try this message" after the 3rd attempt to download. BTW, my
system hasn't crashed and I haven't had any trouble with my IE7 either. So
your
recent repairs may have nothing to do with why this won't work. I sure wish
someone from MS would lend us some help here.

"Cash69" wrote:

> Got this error message after i reinstalled(repaired by downloading from
> install site and installed over bugged ie7) ie7. Any ideas on how to fix
> this???
>

> Installation Failure
>
> Error Code: 0x80242006
> Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
> resources.
>
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
>
> For assisted support options:
>

> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
> updates)
>
> Print | Close

Engel

RE: Error Code: 0x80242006 Windows xp
Try this first
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
--

If no joy, try with Dial-a-Fix

Just follow the (links) yellow brick road

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...e-768e9c5dcf3c ;

Good luck

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ┬║ut.
- -- ---

"Cash69" wrote:

> Got this error message after i reinstalled(repaired by downloading from
> install site and installed over bugged ie7) ie7. Any ideas on how to fix
> this???
>

> Installation Failure
>
> Error Code: 0x80242006
> Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
> resources.
>
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
>
> For assisted support options:
>

> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
> updates)
>
> Print | Close

k_everett

Deleteing IE7
When i try uninstalling IE7,it ask me if i want to delete a few of my other
things as well.When i click no,it goes off the uninstall part.Then i'm right
back to the beginning again.Do i click yes,or no?If i click yes,will it
delete all my other things i have on here,or just the IE7 ?
--
k_everett

Re: Deleteing IE7
It's safe to ignore the warnings, but make certain that you go to Windows
Update and install any critical updates offered /immediately/ after
uninstalling IE7.

Uninstalling IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6)
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

=> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

k_everett wrote:
> When i try uninstalling IE7,it ask me if i want to delete a few of my
> other
> things as well.When i click no,it goes off the uninstall part.Then i'm
> right
> back to the beginning again.Do i click yes,or no?If i click yes,will it
> delete all my other things i have on here,or just the IE7 ?

Calven

RE: Error Code: 0x80242006 Windows xp

This issue can be caused by the following factors:

1. The Windows Update service has been stopped.
2. Corrupted Windows Update Temporary folder.

In order to narrow down the cause of this issue and resolve it, please refer
to the following steps. After completing each step, please check the result
on the Windows Update website.

NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If
you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or
web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet
connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I
recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try to access the
Windows Update site later. Please understand that we are disabling these
programs only for the purpose of troubleshooting, and we can re-enable them
after we finish.

Step 1: Verify the relevant Windows Update services
=======================================
1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "services.msc" (without quotation marks)
in the open box and click "OK".
2. Double click the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service".
3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic"
or "Manual". Then please click "Start" under "Service Status" to start the
service.
4. Please repeat the above steps with the following service:

Automatic Updates

You can also temporarily stop these services, restart the computer, and then
restart them again. If one of the two services is missing, please let me
know.

Step 2: Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
This problem may occur if the Windows Update, Software distribution folder
has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this
folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit
the Windows Update site.

1. Click "Start", click "Run", and type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press
"Enter". Please run the following command in the open window to stop the
Automatic Updates service.

Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press "Enter".

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
stopped successfully before we try to rename the folder. However, if it were
unsuccessful, please let me know before performing any further steps and
include any error messages you may have received.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", and type in "%windir%" (without the quotes)
and press "Enter".
3. In the open folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
4. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the
quotes) to rename this folder.
5. Click "Start", click "Run", and type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press
"Enter".

Type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the open
window to restart the Automatic Updates service.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully started. However, if it were unsuccessful, please let me know
before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may
have received.

Best Regards,

Calven