Error Code 0x80242006, with XP Media Ed SP2

Jim

Error Code 0x80242006, with XP Media Ed SP2
I keep getting notified of a critical security update but it doesn't install.
What can I do to get it to work?
Hal

RE: Error Code 0x80242006, with XP Media Ed SP2
I am getting the same error code and am also running XPpro media ed. SP2
I have 3 attempts in the past 2 days to download this recent update. I
click on ok to download it and BLIP the download stops and the update icon
goes away.
The update has something to do with printers.

"Jim" wrote:

> I keep getting notified of a critical security update but it doesn't install.
> What can I do to get it to work?

Jim

RE: Error Code 0x80242006, with XP Media Ed SP2
Yep, that's what happens on my system. I use a wireless printer and I don't
have it turned on, so I wonder if that somehow makes a difference.

"Hal" wrote:

> I am getting the same error code and am also running XPpro media ed. SP2
> I have 3 attempts in the past 2 days to download this recent update. I
> click on ok to download it and BLIP the download stops and the update icon
> goes away.
> The update has something to do with printers.
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
> > I keep getting notified of a critical security update but it doesn't install.
> > What can I do to get it to work?

Tina

RE: Error Code 0x80242006, with XP Media Ed SP2
I have the same question....I'm getting the same Error Code....I tried
downloading it a couple of months ago and again today.....still can't get it.

"Hal" wrote:

> I am getting the same error code and am also running XPpro media ed. SP2
> I have 3 attempts in the past 2 days to download this recent update. I
> click on ok to download it and BLIP the download stops and the update icon
> goes away.
> The update has something to do with printers.
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
> > I keep getting notified of a critical security update but it doesn't install.
> > What can I do to get it to work?

Hal

RE: Error Code 0x80242006, with XP Media Ed SP2
My printer isn't wireless...just a cheapo USB HP 5440.
I recently upgraded my .net stuff from 1.1 to 2.0, downloaded the critical
updates for 2.0 with no problem. Based on that success, I recently
downloaded .net 3.0
I wonder if that is a factor?

"Jim" wrote:

> Yep, that's what happens on my system. I use a wireless printer and I don't
> have it turned on, so I wonder if that somehow makes a difference.
>
> "Hal" wrote:
>
> > I am getting the same error code and am also running XPpro media ed. SP2
> > I have 3 attempts in the past 2 days to download this recent update. I
> > click on ok to download it and BLIP the download stops and the update icon
> > goes away.
> > The update has something to do with printers.
> >
> > "Jim" wrote:
> >
> > > I keep getting notified of a critical security update but it doesn't install.
> > > What can I do to get it to work?

Tina

RE: Error Code 0x80242006, with XP Media Ed SP2
Try this page: http://taurarian.mvps.org/WU_XP/0x80246005.htm
It renames the SoftwareDistribution Folder.

"Tina" wrote:

> I have the same question....I'm getting the same Error Code....I tried
> downloading it a couple of months ago and again today.....still can't get it.
>

> "Hal" wrote:
>
> > I am getting the same error code and am also running XPpro media ed. SP2
> > I have 3 attempts in the past 2 days to download this recent update. I
> > click on ok to download it and BLIP the download stops and the update icon
> > goes away.
> > The update has something to do with printers.
> >
> > "Jim" wrote:
> >
> > > I keep getting notified of a critical security update but it doesn't install.
> > > What can I do to get it to work?

Hal

RE: Error Code 0x80242006, with XP Media Ed SP2
I just saw another person post on this error code. He wonders if his recent
system
crash was a factor. I don't think so because my system has been stable. No
reinstalls or fixes needed. The only thing I see in common is we all
recently downloaded something from MS updates.

"Tina" wrote:

> I have the same question....I'm getting the same Error Code....I tried
> downloading it a couple of months ago and again today.....still can't get it.
>

> "Hal" wrote:
>
> > I am getting the same error code and am also running XPpro media ed. SP2
> > I have 3 attempts in the past 2 days to download this recent update. I
> > click on ok to download it and BLIP the download stops and the update icon
> > goes away.
> > The update has something to do with printers.
> >
> > "Jim" wrote:
> >
> > > I keep getting notified of a critical security update but it doesn't install.
> > > What can I do to get it to work?

Tina

RE: Error Code 0x80242006, with XP Media Ed SP2
I don't think that downloading of the .Net 3.0 has anything to do with it,
because I have been getting this error code for the last 2 months and just
today I downloaded .Net 3.0....