Re: WU Error 0x80090017

scjerry

Re: WU Error 0x80090017
Hi MowGreen
Stopped AUS as instructed, but can't rename Catroot2. Says folder in use.
scjerry
"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Try this ... stop the Automatic Updates service via the Services console
> or by going to Start > Run > type in
>
> net stop wuauserv
>
> Click OK or press Enter
>
> Show hidden files, folders, and system files
> http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html
>
> Using Windows Explorer, navigate to WINDOWS\system32\Catroot2 folder
> RENAME CatRoot2 to CatRoot2.old
>
> Now open the WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution folder
> Delete the *contents* of the Download and EventCache folders
> Open the DataStore folder
> Delete DataStore.edb
>
> Restart the AU service from the Services console or from
> Start > Run > type in
>
> net start wuauserv
>
> Click OK or press Enter
>
> Initiate a manual visit to Windows Update via the shortcut on the Start
> Menu.
> If no joy, stop the AU service once more.
> RENAME the SoftwareDistribution folder or, delete the CONTENTS of it,
> not the folder itself.
> Restart the AU service and revisit Windows Update.
>
> Which antivirus or security suite/firewall is installed ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> electrogadgetguru wrote:
>
> > I have 17 automatic updates that keep failing to install with the 0x80090017
> > error code. Any suggestions on how to get these to install?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: WU Error 0x80090017
Please post the version of Windows that is installed.
You may also have to stop the BITS and/or Cryptographic service in order
to rename Catroot2.
Will await the answer as to which V. of Windows is installed.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

scjerry wrote:

> Hi MowGreen
> Stopped AUS as instructed, but can't rename Catroot2. Says folder in use.
> scjerry
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Try this ... stop the Automatic Updates service via the Services console
>>or by going to Start > Run > type in
>>
>>net stop wuauserv
>>
>>Click OK or press Enter
>>
>>Show hidden files, folders, and system files
>>http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html
>>
>>Using Windows Explorer, navigate to WINDOWS\system32\Catroot2 folder
>>RENAME CatRoot2 to CatRoot2.old
>>
>>Now open the WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution folder
>>Delete the *contents* of the Download and EventCache folders
>>Open the DataStore folder
>>Delete DataStore.edb
>>
>>Restart the AU service from the Services console or from
>>Start > Run > type in
>>
>>net start wuauserv
>>
>>Click OK or press Enter
>>
>>Initiate a manual visit to Windows Update via the shortcut on the Start
>>Menu.
>>If no joy, stop the AU service once more.
>>RENAME the SoftwareDistribution folder or, delete the CONTENTS of it,
>>not the folder itself.
>>Restart the AU service and revisit Windows Update.
>>
>>Which antivirus or security suite/firewall is installed ?
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>electrogadgetguru wrote:
>>

>>>I have 17 automatic updates that keep failing to install with the 0x80090017
>>>error code. Any suggestions on how to get these to install?

scjerry

Re: WU Error 0x80090017
Thanks for your response.

I had a disk problem, which was repairable, cleaned up the drive using
chkdsk, then repaired from a bootable slip-streamed XP (Home version) SP2 CD
using the latest version of SP2.

Couldn't successfully execute Windows Update from the getgo. Downloaded but
refused to install.

Tried stopping and restarting the crypto stuff from the command window to
rename Catlog2, and did succeed in executing all of your suggestions , but to
no avail.

Now dealing with a MS guy, since I have a couple free consultations, though
I think they will work on solving WU problems for free. He thinks it is some
corrupted dlls that the repair didn't fix. DCOM doesn't work and there were
some non-fatal install errors. He has a copy of the system status uploaded
from my machine.

Will keep you posted.

Trying to avoid a complete re-install, but that may be less time consuming
in the end.
Thanks again
scjerry

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Please post the version of Windows that is installed.
> You may also have to stop the BITS and/or Cryptographic service in order
> to rename Catroot2.
> Will await the answer as to which V. of Windows is installed.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> scjerry wrote:
>
> > Hi MowGreen
> > Stopped AUS as instructed, but can't rename Catroot2. Says folder in use.
> > scjerry
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Try this ... stop the Automatic Updates service via the Services console
> >>or by going to Start > Run > type in
> >>
> >>net stop wuauserv
> >>
> >>Click OK or press Enter
> >>
> >>Show hidden files, folders, and system files
> >>http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html
> >>
> >>Using Windows Explorer, navigate to WINDOWS\system32\Catroot2 folder
> >>RENAME CatRoot2 to CatRoot2.old
> >>
> >>Now open the WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution folder
> >>Delete the *contents* of the Download and EventCache folders
> >>Open the DataStore folder
> >>Delete DataStore.edb
> >>
> >>Restart the AU service from the Services console or from
> >>Start > Run > type in
> >>
> >>net start wuauserv
> >>
> >>Click OK or press Enter
> >>
> >>Initiate a manual visit to Windows Update via the shortcut on the Start
> >>Menu.
> >>If no joy, stop the AU service once more.
> >>RENAME the SoftwareDistribution folder or, delete the CONTENTS of it,
> >>not the folder itself.
> >>Restart the AU service and revisit Windows Update.
> >>
> >>Which antivirus or security suite/firewall is installed ?
> >>

> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: WU Error 0x80090017
If a repair installation was done than all that's needed resolve the
installation is to reregister wups2.dll from a Command Prompt:

Start > Run > type in

cmd
Click OK or press Enter
Type these in at the prompt pushing Enter after *each* command

net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 wups2.dll
net start wuauserv
exit

Reboot the system and the updates *should* install now

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

scjerry wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
>
> I had a disk problem, which was repairable, cleaned up the drive using
> chkdsk, then repaired from a bootable slip-streamed XP (Home version) SP2 CD
> using the latest version of SP2.
>
> Couldn't successfully execute Windows Update from the getgo. Downloaded but
> refused to install.
>
> Tried stopping and restarting the crypto stuff from the command window to
> rename Catlog2, and did succeed in executing all of your suggestions , but to
> no avail.
>
> Now dealing with a MS guy, since I have a couple free consultations, though
> I think they will work on solving WU problems for free. He thinks it is some
> corrupted dlls that the repair didn't fix. DCOM doesn't work and there were
> some non-fatal install errors. He has a copy of the system status uploaded
> from my machine.
>
> Will keep you posted.
>
> Trying to avoid a complete re-install, but that may be less time consuming
> in the end.
> Thanks again
> scjerry
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Please post the version of Windows that is installed.
>>You may also have to stop the BITS and/or Cryptographic service in order
>>to rename Catroot2.
>>Will await the answer as to which V. of Windows is installed.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>scjerry wrote:
>>

>>>Hi MowGreen
>>>Stopped AUS as instructed, but can't rename Catroot2. Says folder in use.
>>>scjerry

scjerry

Re: WU Error 0x80090017
With the advantage of a snapshot of my system at hand, the MS guy advised a
fix that worked. I was very pleased, since MS support gets bashed allot and
most times undeservedly. They responded and fixed my problem within 24 hours.
Pretty good!! Of course, the root issue is why didn't the repair routines on
the boot CD, fix the problem in the first place.

Here it is (in quotation marks) in case others have similar problems.

"Step 1: Register DLL files
===================
By trying this step, we can check the update engines.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.
2. Click "Start" and "Run", type "REGSVR32 ATL.DLL" (without quotes) in the
open box and click "OK".

Note: There is a space between REGSVR32 and ATL.DLL

3. Register the files listed below:

REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL
REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL

Note: Please register all the files. While registering each .DLL file you
should get a "succeeded" message. If you encounter any error message, please
let me know the exact wording.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows
Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2: Verify the relevant Windows Update services
1. Click "Start"->"Run", type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in
the open box and click "OK".
2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".
3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic".
Then please click "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.
4. Click "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.
5. Please repeat the above steps with another service: Background
Intelligent Transfer Service.

Please test the issue again via the Windows Update website and let me know
the result. If the issue persists, please assist me in collecting the
following information. "

End quote.

Anyway, this worked and I am a happy camper, with my SP2 updated to
essentially SP3 with IE 7.

scjerry