Windows Defender Update Failure

AMS

Windows Defender Update Failure
Back in late November my windows update (on Vista OS) led to failure of the
Windows Defender Update (KB915597). It has failed with each update since
then and I have since also experienced the following problems with my system:

1) upon startup/login I get the following error popup box with only an OK
option:
Windows Defender. Application failed to initialize: 0x80070716

2) my security system (McAfee) no longer protects my computer and all
indications are that it's due to Windows Defender not being updated.

and finally, but very annoyingly...
3) my wireless card is no longer recognized and I am left with the annoying
option of having to tether my laptop to an ethernet connection to my modem to
get online.

Any asstance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Windows Defender Update Failure
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 (ignore the title; try the Guided
Help)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

AMS wrote:
> Back in late November my windows update (on Vista OS) led to failure of
> the
> Windows Defender Update (KB915597). It has failed with each update since
> then and I have since also experienced the following problems with my
> system:
>
> 1) upon startup/login I get the following error popup box with only an OK
> option: Windows Defender. Application failed to initialize: 0x80070716
>
> 2) my security system (McAfee) no longer protects my computer and all
> indications are that it's due to Windows Defender not being updated.
>
> and finally, but very annoyingly...
> 3) my wireless card is no longer recognized and I am left with the
> annoying
> option of having to tether my laptop to an ethernet connection to my modem
> to get online.
>
> Any asstance would be greatly appreciated.

AMS

Re: Windows Defender Update Failure
Before I try this can you advise if it's okay to use the guided help if
running Vista and not XP as it indicates you should be? Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 (ignore the title; try the Guided
> Help)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> AMS wrote:
> > Back in late November my windows update (on Vista OS) led to failure of
> > the
> > Windows Defender Update (KB915597). It has failed with each update since
> > then and I have since also experienced the following problems with my
> > system:
> >
> > 1) upon startup/login I get the following error popup box with only an OK
> > option: Windows Defender. Application failed to initialize: 0x80070716
> >
> > 2) my security system (McAfee) no longer protects my computer and all
> > indications are that it's due to Windows Defender not being updated.
> >
> > and finally, but very annoyingly...
> > 3) my wireless card is no longer recognized and I am left with the
> > annoying
> > option of having to tether my laptop to an ethernet connection to my modem
> > to get online.
> >
> > Any asstance would be greatly appreciated.

TaurArian

Re: Windows Defender Update Failure
Quote "You must be running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP
Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to install and to use this Guided
Help."

For Vista - Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"AMS" <AMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Before I try this can you advise if it's okay to use the guided help if
| running Vista and not XP as it indicates you should be? Thanks.
|

| "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
|
| > See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 (ignore the title; try the Guided
| > Help)
| > --
| > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
| > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
| > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
| >
| > AMS wrote:
| > > Back in late November my windows update (on Vista OS) led to failure of
| > > the
| > > Windows Defender Update (KB915597). It has failed with each update since
| > > then and I have since also experienced the following problems with my
| > > system:
| > >
| > > 1) upon startup/login I get the following error popup box with only an OK
| > > option: Windows Defender. Application failed to initialize: 0x80070716
| > >
| > > 2) my security system (McAfee) no longer protects my computer and all
| > > indications are that it's due to Windows Defender not being updated.
| > >
| > > and finally, but very annoyingly...
| > > 3) my wireless card is no longer recognized and I am left with the
| > > annoying
| > > option of having to tether my laptop to an ethernet connection to my modem
| > > to get online.
| > >
| > > Any asstance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Windows Defender Update Failure
Sorry. No, you can't use Guided Help with Vista.

See Method #1 and Method #2, if appropriate. If you're running a
third-party firewall (e.g., ZA; Comodo), that may be the culprit: Try
disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? Has a Norton
application ever been installed on this machine?

Also see TaurArian's reply to seek free assistance from MS for the problem.

AMS wrote:
> Before I try this can you advise if it's okay to use the guided help if
> running Vista and not XP as it indicates you should be? Thanks.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 (ignore the title; try the
>> Guided Help)
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> AMS wrote:
>>> Back in late November my windows update (on Vista OS) led to failure of
>>> the
>>> Windows Defender Update (KB915597). It has failed with each update
>>> since
>>> then and I have since also experienced the following problems with my
>>> system:
>>>
>>> 1) upon startup/login I get the following error popup box with only an
>>> OK
>>> option: Windows Defender. Application failed to initialize: 0x80070716
>>>
>>> 2) my security system (McAfee) no longer protects my computer and all
>>> indications are that it's due to Windows Defender not being updated.
>>>
>>> and finally, but very annoyingly...
>>> 3) my wireless card is no longer recognized and I am left with the
>>> annoying
>>> option of having to tether my laptop to an ethernet connection to my
>>> modem
>>> to get online.
>>>
>>> Any asstance would be greatly appreciated.

AMS

Re: Windows Defender Update Failure
Thanks. I've submitted a support request.
Can anyone possibly explain what Windows Defender is anyhow?
What functionality does this offer that McAfee doesn't offer to my system?
Do I have to run Windos Defender for everything else to run smoothly?
Thanks for any knowledge you can provide.
AMS

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Quote "You must be running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP
> Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to install and to use this Guided
> Help."
>
> For Vista - Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "AMS" <AMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Before I try this can you advise if it's okay to use the guided help if
> | running Vista and not XP as it indicates you should be? Thanks.
> |

> | "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> |
> | > See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 (ignore the title; try the Guided
> | > Help)
> | > --
> | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> | > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> | > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> | > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

TaurArian

Re: Windows Defender Update Failure
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
Windows Defender is Spyware Protection for Free basically.

Turn Windows Defender on or off
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...bf0dc1033.mspx

Using Windows Defender
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...48a151033.mspx

Understanding Windows Defender real-time protection
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...c20fd1033.mspx

--
====================================

| Thanks. I've submitted a support request.
| Can anyone possibly explain what Windows Defender is anyhow?
| What functionality does this offer that McAfee doesn't offer to my system?
| Do I have to run Windos Defender for everything else to run smoothly?
| Thanks for any knowledge you can provide.
| AMS
|
| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > Quote "You must be running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows
XP
| > Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to install and to use this
Guided
| > Help."
| >
| > For Vista - Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
| > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
| > --
| > ====================================
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
| > ====================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
| > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
| >

| > "AMS" <AMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Before I try this can you advise if it's okay to use the guided help if
| > | running Vista and not XP as it indicates you should be? Thanks.
| > |
| > |
| > | "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
| > |
> [...]

K.Lion

Re: Windows Defender Update Failure
This is obviously a common problem, with the error message (in my case)
KB915597 (Definition 1.57.408.0) Installation Failure
Error Code: 0x80244019
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
(MS) resources.

Why are you guiding this poor guy to a general Update problem page with
endless possibilities that would take him days. That's not help. Microsoft
should pay him for the time he'll spend following those instructions. The
above Error Code isn't even on that page.

On the machine I'm having difficulty with, it appears that Windows Defender
may be the problem. Perhaps Uninstalling Windows Defender will help, even if
I have to reinstall it afterwards.

#1 - Who asked you?

#2 - No one here works for or represents Microsoft.

#3 - Why are you hijacking someone else's thread from 05 January *2008*?

#4 - The OP was getting a 0x80070716 error, not a 0x80244019 error, and was
having several other problems that you're NOT having.

#5 - Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for Windows Defender
support. This is not one of them. See
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

PS: <plonk>