Re: Printing in IE7

X-post to Windows Update newsgroup for maximum exposure.

934238 is a red herring: Unless (1) you're running a non-English language
version of Windows *and* (2) you've installed and configured a Unidrv-based
printer *and* (3) some text in the print dialog box appears in English
(remember, this is a non-English language version of Windows), you don't
need 934238 nor would it fix your current problem. See this conversation
for a resolution to stop 934238 from being offered:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a0e19475f020a3
(Posts #51 through #58).

Now back to your original problem: Recent threads in this and the Windows
Update newsgroup [1] suggest that one or more ZA settings are the cause of
your problem. See if totally disabling ZA firewall and any ZA real-time
protections and then temporarily enabling the Windows Firewall resolves the
problem.

If not, the fact that all ZA Internet Security components were active (1)
when you installed 942615 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942615) and/or
(2) when you uninstalled/reinstalled IE7 may have caused the problem.

=======================

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9f6e1ee2ea0912

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

darren13 wrote:
> I've gone back to verify that I have all of the prescribed MS updates and
> have had multiple failures trying to install KB934238. The first
> occurence
> was on 12/26. Prior to that I didn't have the issues with printing or
> mailto links from IE7. In the description it says it is supposed to fix
> printing issues.
>
> Yes I am running Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?
>>
>> Are you running Zone Alarm?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> darren13 wrote:
>>> There appear to be a bunch of post regarding printing, but I can't find
>>> an
>>> answer to this. I cannot print from internet explorer. When I click on
>>> either the icon on the toolbar or the select print for the file menu,
>>> nothing prints. The print icon appears in the lower right, and the
>>> document shows up in the printer folder, but nothing ever prints. All
>>> other applications will print, including Firefox.
>>>
>>> I have re-installed IE7, and my printer driver. Internet explorer is
>>> set
>>> as
>>> the default browser. I have have an Epson C82 printer and have the
>>> print
>>> preview option turned on.

darren13

Re: Printing in IE7
At long last the issue is fixed. At your recommendation I disabled ZA and
tried printing and mailto links again. No problems.

I went through the process of reinstalling IE7 with ZA disabled. Once
again, same problems.

After poking around in ZA settings, it would appear that ZA does not
like/trust IE7. Once I mirrored the settings from Firefox under the "program
control" tab, the problems went away.

On a related note, the installation for 934238 has gone away, after I
installed Microsoft .NET and all of the updates. The patch 942615 did not
install since the versions did not match.

Thank you again for all of the assistance.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> X-post to Windows Update newsgroup for maximum exposure.
>
> 934238 is a red herring: Unless (1) you're running a non-English language
> version of Windows *and* (2) you've installed and configured a Unidrv-based
> printer *and* (3) some text in the print dialog box appears in English
> (remember, this is a non-English language version of Windows), you don't
> need 934238 nor would it fix your current problem. See this conversation
> for a resolution to stop 934238 from being offered:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a0e19475f020a3
> (Posts #51 through #58).
>
> Now back to your original problem: Recent threads in this and the Windows
> Update newsgroup [1] suggest that one or more ZA settings are the cause of
> your problem. See if totally disabling ZA firewall and any ZA real-time
> protections and then temporarily enabling the Windows Firewall resolves the
> problem.
>
> If not, the fact that all ZA Internet Security components were active (1)
> when you installed 942615 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942615) and/or
> (2) when you uninstalled/reinstalled IE7 may have caused the problem.
>
> =======================
>
> [1]
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9f6e1ee2ea0912
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> darren13 wrote:
> > I've gone back to verify that I have all of the prescribed MS updates and
> > have had multiple failures trying to install KB934238. The first
> > occurence
> > was on 12/26. Prior to that I didn't have the issues with printing or
> > mailto links from IE7. In the description it says it is supposed to fix
> > printing issues.
> >
> > Yes I am running Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?
> >>
> >> Are you running Zone Alarm?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Printing in IE7
YW & thanks for your feedback.

It was only because another poster shared some information with us that we
knew to suspect ZA as the cause of the problem. (See the link in the
footnote of my first reply.