KB938979 fails to install

Damon

KB938979 fails to install
I cannot get KB938979 installed. What I find strange about it is, after it
installs, it asks to reboot like any other update does. Windows Update says
it completed successfully. Then when I reboot, it comes up to the
Configuring Updates screen....then says restarting computer again...weird.
After it reboots the 2nd time, it says Configuring Updates again, then lets
me log back in. When I do and check the Update History, it says the update
failed. I am taking a guess here, but it almost seems like it is attempting
to apply the update, runs into a problem, then reverts the changes and
reboots the 2nd time.

Here are the error details:
===================
Update for Windows Vista (KB938979)

Installation date: ‎1/‎5/‎2008 10:25 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800F0826

Update type: Recommended

This update resolves some performance and reliability issues in Windows
Vista. By applying this update, you can achieve better performance and
responsiveness in various scenarios. After you install this item, you may
have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com
===================

I have looked up error code 800F0826 which says:

===================
Windows Update error 800f0826 is displayed when an update for Windows has
failed to install and is preventing you from installing additional updates.
Error 800f0826 does not identify the update that has caused the problem. The
update that has caused the problem will display a different error. This
problem affects updates for Windows only and does not prevent you from
installing or automatically receiving updates for other Microsoft programs,
such as the Microsoft Office System.

To prevent error 800f0826, you need to identify the update that is causing
the problem (it will display a different error), fix the problem, and then
try installing updates again.
===================

This is the only update I have that fails. So there is no other causing a
problem. Now I was having a problem with another update but I was able to
install in manually on 12/24 and it fixed the problem. That update was
throwing the same error code though.

===================
Update for Windows Vista (KB929735)

Installation date: ‎12/‎21/‎2007 8:29 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800F0826

Update type: Optional

Install this update to resolve an issue that prevents Windows Search from
returning a complete set of results when a search is performed using the date
option and a non-Gregorian calendar is in use.

More information:

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com
=================
I have tried the manual update with KB938979 as well, but has the same
results as the automatic update. I am completely lost as to what to do to
get this installed.

Engel

RE: KB938979 fails to install
Hello Damon,

Windows Update error
800f0826

See steps you can take to solve Windows Update error

<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2d96561c-0a7a-492a-b48f-8317cf4f1fde1033.mspx>

To request support by e‑mail, go to the Windows Update Support Center website.
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

GOOGLE 800F0826
<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=800F0826&btnG=Search&meta>

Search For: 800F0826
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=800F0826&dg=microsoft.public.wi ndowsupdate&cat=en_US_56d1dd45-de9e-4fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&pt list=&exp=1&sloc=en-us>
- -- ---

"Damon" wrote:

> [...]
> install in manually on 12/24 and it fixed the problem. That update was
> throwing the same error code though.
>
> ===================
> Update for Windows Vista (KB929735)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎21/‎2007 8:29 PM
>
> Installation status: Failed
>
> Error details: Code 800F0826
>
> Update type: Optional
>
> Install this update to resolve an issue that prevents Windows Search from
> returning a complete set of results when a search is performed using the date
> option and a non-Gregorian calendar is in use.
>
> More information:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=80403
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com
> I have tried the manual update with KB938979 as well, but has the same
> results as the automatic update. I am completely lost as to what to do to

b.nicotera@gmail.com

Re: KB938979 fails to install
I have tried this solution to this same problem installing 938979 with
error 800f0826, with no luck. Further help would be wonderful.