time sync problem-corrections dont work

brucebowe

time sync problem-corrections dont work
In trying to do an update on XP, I get:

Your computer's date and time appear to be out of sync with an update
certificate. To fix this:
1. In Control Panel, open Date and Time Properties.
2. Ensure that the date and time are correct.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
0x80072F8F) yourself.
=============================

I went through the 3 suggested steps with no help. This machine has always
updated OK in the past. A 1 year old HP laptop -- XP Home.

I see an earlier post, but it seemed to go nowhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. Bruce

Engel

RE: time sync problem-corrections dont work
Hello Bruce,

Try this:

Register the following files

1 Click Start.
2 Choose Run.
3 In the Run box, type regsvr32 Softpub.dll.
5 Click OK.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll,
Mssip32.dll.
- -- ---

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Good luck
- -- ---

"brucebowe" wrote:

> In trying to do an update on XP, I get:
>
> Your computer's date and time appear to be out of sync with an update
> certificate. To fix this:
> 1. In Control Panel, open Date and Time Properties.
> 2. Ensure that the date and time are correct.
>
> Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
> 0x80072F8F) yourself.
> =============================
>
> I went through the 3 suggested steps with no help. This machine has always
> updated OK in the past. A 1 year old HP laptop -- XP Home.
>
> I see an earlier post, but it seemed to go nowhere.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks. Bruce

brucebowe

RE: time sync problem-corrections dont work
Hi.
I tried this to no avail. This is the first of the 3 suggested fixes. I've
tried all 3 of them. On this one, I even went into the /windows/system32/
folder and compared filesizes with the same 4 files on my other computer.
All the same size which might lead one to think they are not corrupted. In
all cases, I got the little popup that said completed Ok.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Bruce,
>
> Try this:
>
> Register the following files
>
> 1 Click Start.
> 2 Choose Run.
> 3 In the Run box, type regsvr32 Softpub.dll.
> 5 Click OK.
> Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll,
> Mssip32.dll.
> - -- ---
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>

> Let us know how it works ºut.
>

> Good luck
> - -- ---
>

> "brucebowe" wrote:
>
> > In trying to do an update on XP, I get:
> >
> > Your computer's date and time appear to be out of sync with an update
> > certificate. To fix this:
> > 1. In Control Panel, open Date and Time Properties.
> > 2. Ensure that the date and time are correct.
> >
> > Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
> > 0x80072F8F) yourself.
> > =============================
> >
> > I went through the 3 suggested steps with no help. This machine has always
> > updated OK in the past. A 1 year old HP laptop -- XP Home.
> >
> > I see an earlier post, but it seemed to go nowhere.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks. Bruce

brucebowe

RE: time sync problem-corrections dont work
Well, I feel pretty stupid.
In manually synching the time which was one of the suggested remedies, I
failed to notice that the year was 2003 and only set the time to match my
other computer.
I just fixed that, and update works just fine.
I do have a problem with automatic time synching, but I can live with that..
Mainly, I needed the update engine to work.

Thanks very much.

Bruce

(if you know how to fix the time synch thingy, I'm all ears.. )

"brucebowe" wrote:

> Hi.
> I tried this to no avail. This is the first of the 3 suggested fixes. I've
> tried all 3 of them. On this one, I even went into the /windows/system32/
> folder and compared filesizes with the same 4 files on my other computer.
> All the same size which might lead one to think they are not corrupted. In
> all cases, I got the little popup that said completed Ok.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce
>

> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello Bruce,
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > Register the following files
> >
> > 1 Click Start.
> > 2 Choose Run.
> > 3 In the Run box, type regsvr32 Softpub.dll.
> > 5 Click OK.
> > Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll,
> > Mssip32.dll.
> > - -- ---
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >

> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> >

> > Good luck
> > - -- ---
> >

> > "brucebowe" wrote:
> >
> > > In trying to do an update on XP, I get:
> > >
> > > Your computer's date and time appear to be out of sync with an update
> > > certificate. To fix this:
> > > 1. In Control Panel, open Date and Time Properties.
> > > 2. Ensure that the date and time are correct.
> > >
> > > Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
> > > 0x80072F8F) yourself.
> > > =============================
> > >
> > > I went through the 3 suggested steps with no help. This machine has always
> > > updated OK in the past. A 1 year old HP laptop -- XP Home.
> > >
> > > I see an earlier post, but it seemed to go nowhere.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks. Bruce

brucebowe

RE: time sync problem-corrections dont work
FYI, my time synch didn't work at the default setting. I tried the .gov
setting and it failed. Then went back to default and all worked fine.. Go
figure.. Must have been something about the machine date having been set to
2003..

Bruce