IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site

BuddyToBud

IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site
Hi,

Whenever I try to check for updates via Windows Update, IExplore freezes. I
am running W2K with all the updates up to Dec 2007. I have scanned for
viruses and run the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Dec Edition) and nothing
has been found (I halso have BOClean from Comodo which usually traps thing
that gets past the virus scanner).

Has anyone any ideas what is happening?

Thanks in anticipation
JERRY

RE: IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site
whats the iexplore version, and dou you have 128 bits encryption installed,
dou you have the latest direct x-version ??

"BuddyToBud" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Whenever I try to check for updates via Windows Update, IExplore freezes. I
> am running W2K with all the updates up to Dec 2007. I have scanned for
> viruses and run the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Dec Edition) and nothing
> has been found (I halso have BOClean from Comodo which usually traps thing
> that gets past the virus scanner).
>
> Has anyone any ideas what is happening?
>
> Thanks in anticipation

BuddyToBud

RE: IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site
Hi,
IExplore Version is 6.0.28000.110615 wilth 128 bit encryption and SP1
update. The version of DirectX is 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904). Iam running on an
Intel P4 HTT 2.8GHz processor with 512MB RAM.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

"JERRY" wrote:

> whats the iexplore version, and dou you have 128 bits encryption installed,
> dou you have the latest direct x-version ??
>
> "BuddyToBud" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Whenever I try to check for updates via Windows Update, IExplore freezes. I
> > am running W2K with all the updates up to Dec 2007. I have scanned for
> > viruses and run the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Dec Edition) and nothing
> > has been found (I halso have BOClean from Comodo which usually traps thing
> > that gets past the virus scanner).
> >
> > Has anyone any ideas what is happening?
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site
Two theories, both related to Comodo ...

1) BOClean [Comodo] is blocking the ActiveX software component when IE
attempts to access Windows Update
2) BOClean [Comodo] has prevented the proper installation and/or damaged
the ActiveX object required for access to WU

Not sure which version of BOClean [Comodo] is installed but suggest you
check the Help file or consult Comodo's website/forums for a resolution
for this issue.

One would see FATAL errors in the WindowsUpdate.log that indicate a
communications issue with the update servers.
The log is located in the WINNT directory on Win 2K systems.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BuddyToBud wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Whenever I try to check for updates via Windows Update, IExplore freezes. I
> am running W2K with all the updates up to Dec 2007. I have scanned for
> viruses and run the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Dec Edition) and nothing
> has been found (I halso have BOClean from Comodo which usually traps thing
> that gets past the virus scanner).
>
> Has anyone any ideas what is happening?
>
> Thanks in anticipation

BuddyToBud

Re: IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site
Thanks for that. The version of BOClean is 4.25 but I haven't had any
problems previously with BOClean but I will check. Looking at the
WIndowsUpdate.Log the following errors are logged:

2008-01-05 15:35:19:093 1100 454 AU ########### AU: Uninitializing
Automatic Updates ###########
2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 DtaStor FATAL: Failed to initialize
datastore, error = 0xC8000711
2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 AU FATAL: Failed to get session from
datastore, error = 0xC8000711
2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 Agent Sending shutdown notification to client
2008-01-05 15:35:23:703 1100 454 Service *********
2008-01-05 15:35:23:703 1100 454 Service ** END ** Service: Service exit
[Exit code = 0x240001]

Cheers

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Two theories, both related to Comodo ...
>
> 1) BOClean [Comodo] is blocking the ActiveX software component when IE
> attempts to access Windows Update
> 2) BOClean [Comodo] has prevented the proper installation and/or damaged
> the ActiveX object required for access to WU
>
> Not sure which version of BOClean [Comodo] is installed but suggest you
> check the Help file or consult Comodo's website/forums for a resolution
> for this issue.
>
> One would see FATAL errors in the WindowsUpdate.log that indicate a
> communications issue with the update servers.
> The log is located in the WINNT directory on Win 2K systems.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> BuddyToBud wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Whenever I try to check for updates via Windows Update, IExplore freezes. I
> > am running W2K with all the updates up to Dec 2007. I have scanned for
> > viruses and run the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Dec Edition) and nothing
> > has been found (I halso have BOClean from Comodo which usually traps thing
> > that gets past the virus scanner).
> >
> > Has anyone any ideas what is happening?
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation

BuddyToBud

RE: IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site
Hi All,

Windows Update is now working OK - just in time to get the latest updates.
The only possible explanation I have is that I recently installed Skype which
automatically installs an IExplore add-in to highlight telephone numbers on
web pages. One of the options it gives is to uninstall the add-in - which I
did and since then everything has been fine

I'm not sure if any of these events are connected but you know how unstable
"stable" systems can be at times.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar problem
because it is frustrating not knowing exactly what happened a) to cause the
problem and b) what fixed it!

Thanks to all who helped anyway

Cheers, BuddyToBud

"BuddyToBud" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Whenever I try to check for updates via Windows Update, IExplore freezes. I
> am running W2K with all the updates up to Dec 2007. I have scanned for
> viruses and run the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Dec Edition) and nothing
> has been found (I halso have BOClean from Comodo which usually traps thing
> that gets past the virus scanner).
>
> Has anyone any ideas what is happening?
>
> Thanks in anticipation

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site
> 2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 AU FATAL: Failed to get session from
> datastore, error = 0xC8000711

This shows that the update server can not read the 'database' on the
system.
Make sure that these Services are set to Automatic:
Automatic Updates
Event Log

Make sure that Background Intelligent Transfer Service [BITS] is at
least set to Manual and can be Started in the Services console
[ Start > Run > services.msc ]

Then open Internet Options in the Control Panel
Click the Programs tab
Now click the Manage add-ons button
Make sure that the WuWebControl Class add-on is not disabled
Make sure that any add-on associated with BOClean *is* Disabled

If the DataStore.ebd has become damaged then the only recourse will be
to delete it and start over. All that does is delete the History that is
viewable on the WindowsUpdate site.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BuddyToBud wrote:

> Thanks for that. The version of BOClean is 4.25 but I haven't had any
> problems previously with BOClean but I will check. Looking at the
> WIndowsUpdate.Log the following errors are logged:
>
> 2008-01-05 15:35:19:093 1100 454 AU ########### AU: Uninitializing
> Automatic Updates ###########
> 2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 DtaStor FATAL: Failed to initialize
> datastore, error = 0xC8000711
> 2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 AU FATAL: Failed to get session from
> datastore, error = 0xC8000711
> 2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 Agent Sending shutdown notification to client
> 2008-01-05 15:35:23:703 1100 454 Service *********
> 2008-01-05 15:35:23:703 1100 454 Service ** END ** Service: Service exit
> [Exit code = 0x240001]
>
> Cheers
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Two theories, both related to Comodo ...
>>
>>1) BOClean [Comodo] is blocking the ActiveX software component when IE
>>attempts to access Windows Update
>>2) BOClean [Comodo] has prevented the proper installation and/or damaged
>>the ActiveX object required for access to WU
>>
>>Not sure which version of BOClean [Comodo] is installed but suggest you
>>check the Help file or consult Comodo's website/forums for a resolution
>>for this issue.
>>
>>One would see FATAL errors in the WindowsUpdate.log that indicate a
>>communications issue with the update servers.
>>The log is located in the WINNT directory on Win 2K systems.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>BuddyToBud wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Whenever I try to check for updates via Windows Update, IExplore freezes. I
>>>am running W2K with all the updates up to Dec 2007. I have scanned for
>>>viruses and run the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Dec Edition) and nothing
>>>has been found (I halso have BOClean from Comodo which usually traps thing
>>>that gets past the virus scanner).
>>>
>>>Has anyone any ideas what is happening?
>>>
>>>Thanks in anticipation

BuddyToBud

Re: IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site
Hi,

Tried to do as you said, but there is no Manage add-ons button on on the
Programs tab! As it happens, everything is working again (see my post of last
night) - do you think that this could explain things?

Cheers BuddyToBud

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> > 2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 AU FATAL: Failed to get session from
> > datastore, error = 0xC8000711

> This shows that the update server can not read the 'database' on the
> system.
> Make sure that these Services are set to Automatic:
> Automatic Updates
> Event Log
>
> Make sure that Background Intelligent Transfer Service [BITS] is at
> least set to Manual and can be Started in the Services console
> [ Start > Run > services.msc ]
>
> Then open Internet Options in the Control Panel
> Click the Programs tab
> Now click the Manage add-ons button
> Make sure that the WuWebControl Class add-on is not disabled
> Make sure that any add-on associated with BOClean *is* Disabled
>
> If the DataStore.ebd has become damaged then the only recourse will be
> to delete it and start over. All that does is delete the History that is
> viewable on the WindowsUpdate site.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> BuddyToBud wrote:
>
> > Thanks for that. The version of BOClean is 4.25 but I haven't had any
> > problems previously with BOClean but I will check. Looking at the
> > WIndowsUpdate.Log the following errors are logged:
> >
> > 2008-01-05 15:35:19:093 1100 454 AU ########### AU: Uninitializing
> > Automatic Updates ###########
> > 2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 DtaStor FATAL: Failed to initialize
> > datastore, error = 0xC8000711
> > 2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 AU FATAL: Failed to get session from
> > datastore, error = 0xC8000711
> > 2008-01-05 15:35:19:875 1100 454 Agent Sending shutdown notification to client
> > 2008-01-05 15:35:23:703 1100 454 Service *********
> > 2008-01-05 15:35:23:703 1100 454 Service ** END ** Service: Service exit
> > [Exit code = 0x240001]
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Two theories, both related to Comodo ...
> >>
> >>1) BOClean [Comodo] is blocking the ActiveX software component when IE
> >>attempts to access Windows Update
> >>2) BOClean [Comodo] has prevented the proper installation and/or damaged
> >>the ActiveX object required for access to WU
> >>
> >>Not sure which version of BOClean [Comodo] is installed but suggest you
> >>check the Help file or consult Comodo's website/forums for a resolution
> >>for this issue.
> >>
> >>One would see FATAL errors in the WindowsUpdate.log that indicate a
> >>communications issue with the update servers.
> >>The log is located in the WINNT directory on Win 2K systems.
> >>
> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: IExplore Freezing when Accessing Windows Update Site
Yup ... add-ons have been known to cause connectivity issues with the
update sites. Glad to hear you found the culprit. Nice work !

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten