Re: Using Windows Update without an internet connection

Natty Boh man

Re: Using Windows Update without an internet connection
I've been trying to use Windows Update Catalog to update my WSUS server for a
while now and nobody can tell me how to do it so far.
Does anyone know if it is even possible to import the files you download
from Windows Update Catalog onto your WSUS server?

"luke" wrote:

> Just an update for those interested.
>
> I disconnected the server from the network last night starting at 3am, by
> 3.30am I had done a syncronise. by 6:30 this morning the amount of updates
> needed to be downloaded had grown to about 5GB and I had succesfully
> downloaded about 200MB.
>
> This is a taxi company so it was impossible to keep the systems down for
> longer as there was the busy school runs starting at 6:45 so I had to cancel
> the synchronisation which then made the server really slow as soon as I tried
> to reconnect to the network (I guess it was still trying to download the
> updates).
>
> I then stopped any services which I thought may be linked to WSUS, butu the
> there was something eating all the processor power and SQL was showing as
> using 225MB Ram. As I was getting flak from the control office I decided
> that enough was enough so removed the service, I would install W2k on another
> machine and let it download then copy files as suggested.
>
> Dave, what do you mean by W2K3? I guess you dont mean windows 2000
> workstation service pack 3 as after messing about with all the
> pre-requisites, I re-read the error message again through my tired blurry
> eyes and saw it said Windows 2000 SERVER (important bit my eyes decieved me
> of) service pack 3.
>
> Well here I am at 11:38 still messing around with this and just about to
> take a look at the MS catalouge that the sky king suggests.
>
> Bloody enoying all this just for some political nonsense from a two bob
> software developer who refuses to blame his program updates. "Its your
> machines, there not up to date with the latest patches and security updates"
> . Unfortunately, as most of you know you don't have much of a leg to stand
> on until you meet the software developers spec.
>
> I'll let you know how things go.
>

> "Sky King" wrote:
>
> > Hi;
> >

> > In news:0981034C-20AE-490E-80A4-BCDF3F1AA46F@microsoft.com,
> > luke <luke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Surely there must be a file(s) of some kind where I can download the
> > > latest updates from the internet machine, put onto my 1GB keyfob and
> > > copy/extract onto the server every 2 months or so.

> > Yep. It is called the MS Catalog site. See
> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog
> >
> > --
> >
> > ....Sky
> >
> > Tom "Sky" King
> > ===========

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Natty Boh man" <NattyBohman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news0F36F5C-5083-43DD-B9F3-6AB8E14B8DC5@microsoft.com...

> I've been trying to use Windows Update Catalog to update my WSUS server
> for a
> while now and nobody can tell me how to do it so far.

Hmmmm.....

> Does anyone know if it is even possible to import the files you download
> from Windows Update Catalog onto your WSUS server?

It's not .. not if you're first downloading to the file server and then
trying to "import".

WSUS3 Operations Guide, p29 "Importing hotfixes from the Microsoft Update
catalog site" will tell you everything you need to do to achieve your
objective.

1. In the WSUS administrative console, select either the top server node or
the Updates node, and in the Actions pane click Import Updates.
2. A browser window will open at the Microsoft Update Catalog Web site.
3. In order to access the updates at this site, you must install the
Microsoft Update Catalog ActiveX control.
4. You can browse this site for Windows hotfixes and hardware drivers. When
you have found the ones you want, add them to your basket.
5. When you have finished browsing, go to the basket and click Import to
import your updates. To download the updates without importing them, clear
the Import directly into Windows Server Update Services checkbox.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com