> Got a notice of update so did the download. It was Service Pak 1
> for Vista Home Premium. Now when computer boots get a Evaluation
> Copy notice on lower right. Product is properly registered for 9
> months with all updates as available. What is the impact of the
> Evaluation Notice, as far as continued operation?
You got a notice of what?!
In what way did you get this 'notice'?
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not 'released to manufacturing' at this
time/date. It is clearly marked as a 'Release Candidate'.
Wondering what that means?
The key things to read on that page:
Things to know before you download
- If you have a prior version of SP1 beta installed, you must uninstall it
prior to installing SP1 RC.
- Microsoft does not recommend installing this software on primary or
mission critical systems.
- Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate is time-limited software.
- Support is through self-help and peer support via the Windows Vista SP1
and FAQ (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb972745.aspx
- Additional information about the above items and others.
) Be sure to
In other words - you have installed a beta product - incomplete at this time
(although it may be close to finished) onto your computer.
What you may need to know now...
Q. How do I uninstall Windows Vista SP1?
A. It is not possible to uninstall the permanent prerequisite updates
(KB937287, KB935509 and KB938371). However, you can uninstall KB936330 and
KB937954. In addition, you cannot uninstall the service pack and other
updates that were installed using an integrated installation. You can remove
SP1 using the Programs and Features.
To uninstall SP1 using Programs and Features:
1) Open Control Panel, and click Programs and Features.
2) Select View Installed Updates.
3) Under the list of Microsoft Windows, select Service Pack for Windows
4) On the top menu, click Uninstall.
As for the 'Evaluation Copy' notice you have going - that is easy to
explain. The current release of SP1 for Windows Vista is meant to be for
testing. So any Vista System you install SP1 onto the words *Evaluation
Copy* indicates that you have installed such pre-release software and will
need to replace it when the actual release is completed. That usually
includes uninstalling and installing anew - not just installing over the
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way