Vista Service Pak 1

Jack

Vista Service Pak 1
Got a notice of update so did the download. It was Service Pak 1 for Vista
Home Premium. Now when computer boots get a Evaluation Copy notice on lower
right. Product is properly registered for 9 months with all updates as
available. What is the impact of the Evaluation Notice, as far as continued
operation?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Vista Service Pak 1
Jack wrote:
> Got a notice of update so did the download. It was Service Pak 1
> for Vista Home Premium. Now when computer boots get a Evaluation
> Copy notice on lower right. Product is properly registered for 9
> months with all updates as available. What is the impact of the
> Evaluation Notice, as far as continued operation?

You got a notice of what?!
In what way did you get this 'notice'?

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not 'released to manufacturing' at this
time/date. It is clearly marked as a 'Release Candidate'.

Wondering what that means?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb738089.aspx

The key things to read on that page:

Things to know before you download
- If you have a prior version of SP1 beta installed, you must uninstall it
prior to installing SP1 RC.
- Microsoft does not recommend installing this software on primary or
mission critical systems.
- Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate is time-limited software.
- Support is through self-help and peer support via the Windows Vista SP1
forum
(http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...1992&SiteID=17)
and FAQ (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb972745.aspx)
page.
- Additional information about the above items and others.
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx) Be sure to
review.

In other words - you have installed a beta product - incomplete at this time
(although it may be close to finished) onto your computer.

What you may need to know now...
Q. How do I uninstall Windows Vista SP1?
A. It is not possible to uninstall the permanent prerequisite updates
(KB937287, KB935509 and KB938371). However, you can uninstall KB936330 and
KB937954. In addition, you cannot uninstall the service pack and other
updates that were installed using an integrated installation. You can remove
SP1 using the Programs and Features.

To uninstall SP1 using Programs and Features:

1) Open Control Panel, and click Programs and Features.
2) Select View Installed Updates.
3) Under the list of Microsoft Windows, select Service Pack for Windows
(KB936330).
4) On the top menu, click Uninstall.

As for the 'Evaluation Copy' notice you have going - that is easy to
explain. The current release of SP1 for Windows Vista is meant to be for
testing. So any Vista System you install SP1 onto the words *Evaluation
Copy* indicates that you have installed such pre-release software and will
need to replace it when the actual release is completed. That usually
includes uninstalling and installing anew - not just installing over the
top.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Jack

Re: Vista Service Pak 1
Thank you for the reply. I normally do not knowingly download beta since it
is my only computer. The notice came via normal windows update available.
When viewed, update stated it was SP1 but stated notheing about being Beta.
Have really found nothing different or improved that should have been
addressed other than the notice on the screen.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> updates that were installed using an integrated installation. You can remove
> SP1 using the Programs and Features.
>
> To uninstall SP1 using Programs and Features:
>
> 1) Open Control Panel, and click Programs and Features.
> 2) Select View Installed Updates.
> 3) Under the list of Microsoft Windows, select Service Pack for Windows
> (KB936330).
> 4) On the top menu, click Uninstall.
>

> As for the 'Evaluation Copy' notice you have going - that is easy to
> explain. The current release of SP1 for Windows Vista is meant to be for
> testing. So any Vista System you install SP1 onto the words *Evaluation
> Copy* indicates that you have installed such pre-release software and will
> need to replace it when the actual release is completed. That usually
> includes uninstalling and installing anew - not just installing over the

What notice? From whom?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jack wrote:
> Got a notice of update so did the download. It was Service Pak 1 for
> Vista
> Home Premium. Now when computer boots get a Evaluation Copy notice on
> lower
> right. Product is properly registered for 9 months with all updates as
> available. What is the impact of the Evaluation Notice, as far as
> continued
> operation?

Shenan Stanley

Re: Vista Service Pak 1

Jack wrote:
> Thank you for the reply. I normally do not knowingly download beta
> since it is my only computer. The notice came via normal windows
> update available. When viewed, update stated it was SP1 but stated
> notheing about being Beta. Have really found nothing different or
> improved that should have been addressed other than the notice on
> the screen.

Notable Changes in Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Release Candidate
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

I'd recommend uninstalling it for now - unless you want to test it further.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Vista Service Pak 1
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:29:49 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>What notice? From whom?

PA Bear, the OP is referring to the notice in the lower-right hand
corner of the desktop which appears after installation of Service Pack
1 Release Candidate stating that the version of Vista installed is an
"evaluation" build.

Donald L McDaniel
Tom [Pepper] Willett

Re: Vista Service Pak 1

"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocrossATkomkastDOTnet> wrote in message
: On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:29:49 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
: <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
:
: >What notice? From whom?
:
:
: PA Bear, the OP is referring to the notice in the lower-right hand
: corner of the desktop which appears after installation of Service Pack
: 1 Release Candidate stating that the version of Vista installed is an
: "evaluation" build.
:
: Donald L McDaniel

Re-read the OP's post...he first made reference to a notice of an update.

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Vista Service Pak 1
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 08:34:52 -0600, "Tom [Pepper] Willett"
<tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:

>"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocrossATkomkastDOTnet> wrote in message
>news:i6urn3dvp1rj6c0j0i8d2g4dtkkgc1qbor@4ax.com.. .
>: On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:29:49 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
>: <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>:
>: >What notice? From whom?
>:
>:
>: PA Bear, the OP is referring to the notice in the lower-right hand
>: corner of the desktop which appears after installation of Service Pack
>: 1 Release Candidate stating that the version of Vista installed is an
>: "evaluation" build.
>:
>: Donald L McDaniel
>
>Re-read the OP's post...he first made reference to a notice of an update.

Obviously, Tom, the update he was referring to (he refers to it by
name, by the way) was "Service Pak 1" [sic]. It was pretty clear to
me, at least. Go back and re-read it yourself.

To save you the trouble, I quote the relevant passage:

>Got a notice of update so did the download. It was Service Pak 1 for Vista
>Home Premium. Now when computer boots get a Evaluation Copy notice on lower
>right. Product is properly registered for 9 months with all updates as
>available. What is the impact of the Evaluation Notice, as far as continued
>operation?

NOTE WHICH UPDATE the OP refers to is as: "Service Pak 1 for Vista
Home Premium".

Since there is no such beast, I assume he was referring to the "Vista
Service Pack 1 Release Candidate".

I also assume that he got the notice not via email, but via Windows
Update, when the download became available to him via Automatic
Updates.

So others will know:
1) The presence of the Evaluation notice has absolutely no impact on
the operation of one's OS in any way, other than to serve as a gentle
reminder that one day (sooner rather than later), the version of Vista
he has installed will have to be removed and replaced with either the
RTM version of Service Pack 1, or a different version of Windows.
2) It is probably possible to remove the Evaluation notice, if it
really gets in the way or irritates one -- this always has beeen the
case with past Windows service packs.
3) Installing the Release Candidate on top of an activated version of
Vista will NOT cause your CD key or your Vista License to lapse or
"die". Your original license will STILL be valid after you take the
Release Candidate off and reinstall your purchased OS.
4) You will NOT need to purchase a NEW CD key to reinstall your
original license. The original license will still be valid once you
reinstall it.
5) You MIGHT have to reactivate your OS, but this is GUARANTEED by
Microsoft to happen as long as you abide by your License Agreement.

But the fact is, removing the notice will NOT change the version of OS
installed. Even with the notice gone, the version of Vista installed
will STILL be an evaluation version which will eventually stop
working, and which must be replaced by a non-Evaluation version.

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Vista Service Pak 1
Is this your personal machine at home, Jack, or is it a machine at work?
Does this machine update via WSUS?

Jack wrote:
> [...]

>> updates that were installed using an integrated installation. You can
>> remove SP1 using the Programs and Features.
>>
>> To uninstall SP1 using Programs and Features:
>>
>> 1) Open Control Panel, and click Programs and Features.
>> 2) Select View Installed Updates.
>> 3) Under the list of Microsoft Windows, select Service Pack for Windows
>> (KB936330).
>> 4) On the top menu, click Uninstall.
>>

>> As for the 'Evaluation Copy' notice you have going - that is easy to
>> explain. The current release of SP1 for Windows Vista is meant to be for
>> testing. So any Vista System you install SP1 onto the words *Evaluation
>> Copy* indicates that you have installed such pre-release software and
>> will
>> need to replace it when the actual release is completed. That usually
>> includes uninstalling and installing anew - not just installing over the

MC

Re: Vista Service Pak 1
PLEASE don't send evaluation updates without clearly labeling them as such.
Better, don;t even send them thru Windows Update. I would not have chosen to
be a beta tester, and it totally messed me up.

MC