Windows installer and installing student/teacher office 2003 in x

Brian

Windows installer and installing student/teacher office 2003 in x
frustrated!!

I am running XP. My "windows updater" program is not working. .

I cant update from the site,-I keep getting this statement:

> "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
> installed on your computer. "
>
> when I try to run the windows update. When I try the corrective routine it
> gives, it doesnt work.

AND..
I cant install office 2003

i get this error: MICROSOFT OFFICE CANNOT CONTINUE BECAUSE THE INSTALLATION
SOURCE HAS BEEN CORRUPTED"

WHAT GIVES...HELP

No servers involved-home desktop
daniel_nicholas

RE: Windows installer and installing student/teacher office 2003 in x
Hey Brian, I have been having the same problem for weeks and still can't
fix. All I do know with my problem is that it says the same thing you are
getting, windows recognizes my validation, etc.. and when trying to install
any program that uses "windows installer" I have a problem. Luckily most
programs use their own installer or I'd have really serious issues, but, I'm
just as frustrated that I can't update my XP or download other Windows
programs they offer.
So, in short, MY problem is with the "windows installer" in my XP. You
probably have the same problem. BUT.. I've tried everything but one thing to
fix and nothing has worked. I just did notice in system tools that my windows
updater was disabled. I switched to automatic and started it, thinking I
finally figured it out, and still get the same here on windows update site.
The only thing I haven't tried, afraid to, but good chance is the true
fixer, is to use a program that removes "windows installer" but it also
removes all programs that USED windows installer. More than a few I'm sure.
Then I believe you reinstall windows updater, but then you have to figure out
what programs USED it in the 1st place and reinstall. That's all I know.
Doesn't sound very appealing. It's in the 2nd choice after "files required to
use windows update are no longer registered or installed."
Let me know on here if you figure it out and I will do the same if I do,
but I think what I last wrote is the only way to (try and) fix that I know.
For now I am going to search for any form of a "generic" program that can act
as the "windows installer" and maybe at least not have issues with any future
software I install that requires it.
Other than that.. you can always re-install XP, another pain in the rear
choice. Oh yeah.. and to Microsoft.. "thanks for having windows installer in
XP so that if it goes bad and screws up we are completely left in the cold,
really, thanks. You had the right intention but just like everything else,
you are more concerned with the security of your copyrights of XP than
whether or not customers have a problem. Next neat trick you add to your OS
how about making a program that fixes it?!"