Failure to install KB942615 after installing IE7 SP2

The Apiarist

Failure to install KB942615 after installing IE7 SP2
Earlier today I was prompted to install SP2 for IE7 and the Silverlight Beta
- these appeared to have installed OK and then a few hours later I got a
further prompt to install KB942615 (even though this particular update had
installed correctly a few weeks ago). This now won't install even if I go to
the Microsoft updates website. (I'm not even sure if it's downloading, as it
appears to fail immediately.)

Can anyone advise whether I still need to install KB942615 and, if so, how I
can get it to 'stick'?
PA Bear

Re: Failure to install KB942615 after installing IE7 SP2
There are separate versions of 941625 for IE6 and IE7. You now need the
IE7-version.

The cause of your problem may be a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of
IE7. I suggest that you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 exactly per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install, and using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the installation
source, not Automatic/Windows Update.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

The Apiarist wrote:
> Earlier today I was prompted to install SP2 for IE7 and the Silverlight
> Beta
> - these appeared to have installed OK and then a few hours later I got a
> further prompt to install KB942615 (even though this particular update had
> installed correctly a few weeks ago). This now won't install even if I go
> to the Microsoft updates website. (I'm not even sure if it's downloading,
> as it appears to fail immediately.)
>
> Can anyone advise whether I still need to install KB942615 and, if so, how
> can get it to 'stick'?

The Apiarist

Re: Failure to install KB942615 after installing IE7 SP2
Hello again,

I followed the instructions and uninstalled IE7 but then ran into a further
problem. IE6 now isn't connecting and when I tried to restore the system to
the state prior to the uninstall I found that System Restore won't run
because the file 'iertutil.dll' is missing. I can't even restore from Safe
Mode. In fact, there are a number of files missing, including 'applnch.exe'.
Other apps that won't run include the MMC.

How can I restore the system to the original state? Thanks for the help so
far.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> There are separate versions of 941625 for IE6 and IE7. You now need the
> IE7-version.
>
> The cause of your problem may be a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of
> IE7. I suggest that you...
>
> 1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) per
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> 2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
> Blinds).
>
> 2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.
>
> 3. Reinstall IE7 exactly per
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install, and using
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the installation
> source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>
> 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
> critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
> Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
> IE7's additional security.
>
> Also see:
>
> IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> The Apiarist wrote:
> > Earlier today I was prompted to install SP2 for IE7 and the Silverlight
> > Beta
> > - these appeared to have installed OK and then a few hours later I got a
> > further prompt to install KB942615 (even though this particular update had
> > installed correctly a few weeks ago). This now won't install even if I go
> > to the Microsoft updates website. (I'm not even sure if it's downloading,
> > as it appears to fail immediately.)
> >
> > Can anyone advise whether I still need to install KB942615 and, if so, how
> > can get it to 'stick'?

The Apiarist

Re: Failure to install KB942615 after installing IE7 SP2
Panic Over!

Just after sending the message below I had the idea of downloading IE7 onto
a USB stick at another PC and then reinstalling from the stick onto the
faulty PC. This worked fine - everything is now operating as usual and when
I went to the Windows Update site I only needed to download KB938127, which
also installed correctly.

Unless you can think of any potential problems that I might find it looks as
if all is now OK.

Thanks for the advice.

"The Apiarist" wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I followed the instructions and uninstalled IE7 but then ran into a further
> problem. IE6 now isn't connecting and when I tried to restore the system to
> the state prior to the uninstall I found that System Restore won't run
> because the file 'iertutil.dll' is missing. I can't even restore from Safe
> Mode. In fact, there are a number of files missing, including 'applnch.exe'.
> Other apps that won't run include the MMC.
>
> How can I restore the system to the original state? Thanks for the help so
> far.
>

> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > There are separate versions of 941625 for IE6 and IE7. You now need the
> > IE7-version.
> >
> > The cause of your problem may be a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of
> > IE7. I suggest that you...
> >
> > 1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) per
> > http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
> >
> > 2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
> > Blinds).
> >
> > 2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.
> >
> > 3. Reinstall IE7 exactly per
> > http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install, and using
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the installation
> > source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
> >
> > 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
> > critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
> > Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
> > IE7's additional security.
> >
> > Also see:
> >
> > IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >

> > The Apiarist wrote:
> > > Earlier today I was prompted to install SP2 for IE7 and the Silverlight
> > > Beta
> > > - these appeared to have installed OK and then a few hours later I got a
> > > further prompt to install KB942615 (even though this particular update had
> > > installed correctly a few weeks ago). This now won't install even if I go
> > > to the Microsoft updates website. (I'm not even sure if it's downloading,
> > > as it appears to fail immediately.)
> > >
> > > Can anyone advise whether I still need to install KB942615 and, if so, how
> > > can get it to 'stick'?

Re: Failure to install KB942615 after installing IE7 SP2
Sounds good to me.

Think your Registry needs "cleaning"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

The Apiarist wrote:
> Panic Over!
>
> Just after sending the message below I had the idea of downloading IE7
> onto
> a USB stick at another PC and then reinstalling from the stick onto the
> faulty PC. This worked fine - everything is now operating as usual and
> when
> I went to the Windows Update site I only needed to download KB938127,
> which
> also installed correctly.
>
> Unless you can think of any potential problems that I might find it looks
> as
> if all is now OK.
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>

> "The Apiarist" wrote:
>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> I followed the instructions and uninstalled IE7 but then ran into a
>> further
>> problem. IE6 now isn't connecting and when I tried to restore the system
>> to the state prior to the uninstall I found that System Restore won't run
>> because the file 'iertutil.dll' is missing. I can't even restore from
>> Safe
>> Mode. In fact, there are a number of files missing, including
>> 'applnch.exe'. Other apps that won't run include the MMC.
>>
>> How can I restore the system to the original state? Thanks for the help
>> so
>> far.
>>

>> "PA Bear" wrote:
>>
>>> There are separate versions of 941625 for IE6 and IE7. You now need the
>>> IE7-version.
>>>
>>> The cause of your problem may be a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install
>>> of
>>> IE7. I suggest that you...
>>>
>>> 1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) per
>>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>>>
>>> 2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including
>>> Window Blinds).
>>>
>>> 2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.
>>>
>>> 3. Reinstall IE7 exactly per
>>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install, and using
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the
>>> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>>>
>>> 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
>>> critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in
>>> the Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage
>>> of IE7's additional security.
>>>
>>> Also see:
>>>
>>> IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Calven

RE: Failure to install KB942615 after installing IE7 SP2
Manually install :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...splayLa ng=en