Can't Access Update Page

Redwoodsteve

Can't Access Update Page
I have had to do a system repair on XP SP2 via the Repair option on the
installation CD (not the Repair Console). Since this whenever I go to the
Windows Update Page I receive the following message:-

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
only.

To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

This appears to me that the Update Page doesn't recognise that I'm running
WinXP at all!

Any Clues?

PA Bear

Re: Can't Access Update Page
Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
[ignore the title]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s).

If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT connect to the internet
without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Redwoodsteve wrote:
> I have had to do a system repair on XP SP2 via the Repair option on the
> installation CD (not the Repair Console). Since this whenever I go to the
> Windows Update Page I receive the following message:-
>
> Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
>
> This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
> only.
>
> To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
> operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
>
> This appears to me that the Update Page doesn't recognise that I'm running
> WinXP at all!
>
> Any Clues?

Redwoodsteve

Re: Can't Access Update Page
I have unsuccessfully tried all the solutions detailed in article 943144 and
also artilce 817144. I still get the same "Thank You....." page. I have also
tried re-installing IE7 and even SP3 RC, nothing has worked! I removed a my
A/V prior to doing any of the above, any more ideas?

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
> installation
> [ignore the title]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
> to install the update(s).
>
> If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT connect to the internet
> without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Redwoodsteve wrote:
> > I have had to do a system repair on XP SP2 via the Repair option on the
> > installation CD (not the Repair Console). Since this whenever I go to the
> > Windows Update Page I receive the following message:-
> >
> > Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> >
> > This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
> > only.
> >
> > To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
> > operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
> >
> > This appears to me that the Update Page doesn't recognise that I'm running
> > WinXP at all!
> >
> > Any Clues?

PA Bear

Re: Can't Access Update Page
What anti-virus application did you uninstall? What anti-virus application
are you running now? Are you using a third-party firewall?

Redwoodsteve wrote:
> I have unsuccessfully tried all the solutions detailed in article 943144
> and
> also artilce 817144. I still get the same "Thank You....." page. I have
> also
> tried re-installing IE7 and even SP3 RC, nothing has worked! I removed a
> my
> A/V prior to doing any of the above, any more ideas?
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft
>> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
>> installation
>> [ignore the title]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>>
>> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
>> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
>> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
>> attempting
>> to install the update(s).
>>
>> If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT connect to the internet
>> without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Redwoodsteve wrote:
>>> I have had to do a system repair on XP SP2 via the Repair option on the
>>> installation CD (not the Repair Console). Since this whenever I go to
>>> the
>>> Windows Update Page I receive the following message:-
>>>
>>> Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
>>>
>>> This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating
>>> systems
>>> only.
>>>
>>> To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
>>> operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.
>>>
>>> This appears to me that the Update Page doesn't recognise that I'm
>>> running
>>> WinXP at all!
>>>
>>> Any Clues?

Redwoodsteve

Re: Can't Access Update Page
Hi, I removed my A/V program and even disabled the Windows Firewall. But to
no avail. I have however managed to sort the problem.

The problem was my User Agent files in the Registry sending incorrect
details to the Update Page. It incorrectly sent I was using Mozilla, I read
the following article:-

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-our-site.html

I then searched my Registry for User Agent files and deleted them (having
Backed Up first), I re-booted the PC and all now works fine! Thanks for your
help anyway.