Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away

TGN

Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away
I am running Windows XP Pro 2002, SP2
Dell Latitude D600

My automatic updates is configured so that I am prompted before anything is
updated and installed. After the most recent Security Update for Windows
(12/20/07 I believe), the Automatic Update Restart dialogue popped up. I
restarted my computer, but the dialogue box continued to pop up no matter how
many times I restarted. I cannot get it to go away. After lots of research,
I have tried the following to no avail:

Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer
Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows
Update -> Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations.

Also:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000000
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

Also:
Run -> cmd -> 'sc stop wuauserv'

This last one actually makes the dialogue box disappear, but once I shut
down and boot up again the Restart Now/Later dialogue box reappears.

I also tried uninstalling the last update through Add/Remove programs to see
if reinstalling the update might fix the problem. However, once I did that
and tried to do a force update (online through microsoft update), it told me
I had a previous update in progress and that my computer needed to be
restarted before new updates could be installed. This means that I am
blocked out of any new updates until I get this box to go away. This also
means that some suggestions to just drag the box down to the corner of my
screen and ignore it isn't a good solution.

This is quite possibly the most annoying thing ever and I would appreciate
ANY help or suggestions that people have.

thanks!
PA Bear

Re: Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

TGN wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Pro 2002, SP2
> Dell Latitude D600
>
> My automatic updates is configured so that I am prompted before anything
> is
> updated and installed. After the most recent Security Update for Windows
> (12/20/07 I believe), the Automatic Update Restart dialogue popped up. I
> restarted my computer, but the dialogue box continued to pop up no matter
> how many times I restarted. I cannot get it to go away. After lots of
> research, I have tried the following to no avail:
>
> Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer
> Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows
> Update -> Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations.
>
> Also:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
> "RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000000
> "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
>
> Also:
> Run -> cmd -> 'sc stop wuauserv'
>
> This last one actually makes the dialogue box disappear, but once I shut
> down and boot up again the Restart Now/Later dialogue box reappears.
>
> I also tried uninstalling the last update through Add/Remove programs to
> see
> if reinstalling the update might fix the problem. However, once I did
> that
> and tried to do a force update (online through microsoft update), it told
> me
> I had a previous update in progress and that my computer needed to be
> restarted before new updates could be installed. This means that I am
> blocked out of any new updates until I get this box to go away. This also
> means that some suggestions to just drag the box down to the corner of my
> screen and ignore it isn't a good solution.
>
> This is quite possibly the most annoying thing ever and I would appreciate
> ANY help or suggestions that people have.
>
> thanks!

FB

Re: Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away
I had exactly the same problem. For me, deleting the registry subkey
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired did the trick.

Re: Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away
Do you realize that by deleting that key, the changes most of your updates
will make to the system don't happen until you reboot manually? This means
that the machine will remain subject to the vulnerabilities addressed by
critical security updates. Not a wise idea IMHO.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

FB wrote:
> I had exactly the same problem. For me, deleting the registry subkey
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto
> Update\RebootRequired did the trick.

Bookwor

Re: Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away
This didn't cause any issues with your computer. Because I'm looking for a
way to get rid of the Forced restart. I was signing up for classes today,
left my computer to go to the bathroom, when I come back, it's on the Login
page (and that is NO WHERE near the first time this has happened. Maybe the
30th time). Can't tell you how much it drives me nuts. I just don't
understand why they can't just let you restart when you choose, almost every
other program I know of does. It would be nice to have time to save anything
important first.

"FB" wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem. For me, deleting the registry subkey
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired did the trick.

Bookworm

Re: Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away
Sorry, the 'This didn't cause any issues with your computer' was meant to be
a question.

"Bookwor" wrote:

> This didn't cause any issues with your computer. Because I'm looking for a
> way to get rid of the Forced restart. I was signing up for classes today,
> left my computer to go to the bathroom, when I come back, it's on the Login
> page (and that is NO WHERE near the first time this has happened. Maybe the
> 30th time). Can't tell you how much it drives me nuts. I just don't
> understand why they can't just let you restart when you choose, almost every
> other program I know of does. It would be nice to have time to save anything
> important first.
>
> "FB" wrote:
>
> > I had exactly the same problem. For me, deleting the registry subkey
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired did the trick.

Robert Aldwinckle

"Bookwor" <Bookwor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6477060-F06F-4611-843A-C28ACD43D344@microsoft.com...

> I just don't understand why they can't just let you restart when you choose,

If you set up for prompts you do get to control how updates are done.
Hint: Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter

control wuaucpl.cpl

And use the Help from that dialog too! ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Bookworm

Re: Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away
Unfortunately that doesn't work because when I try to set it to anything but
letting it do everything automatically, Norton goes nuts and my school's
network won't let me on.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Bookwor" <Bookwor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6477060-F06F-4611-843A-C28ACD43D344@microsoft.com...
>
> > I just don't understand why they can't just let you restart when you choose,

> If you set up for prompts you do get to control how updates are done.
> Hint: Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter
>
> control wuaucpl.cpl
>
> And use the Help from that dialog too! ; )
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

"Bookworm" <Bookworm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsE1B3675-D5D7-40D1-A962-9EB3D1A67656@microsoft.com...
> Unfortunately that doesn't work because when I try to set it to anything but
> letting it do everything automatically, Norton goes nuts and my school's
> network won't let me on.

Ok. So now you know who to blame. <eg>

---