0x8007000B Error in Win Update

Bruce B

0x8007000B Error in Win Update
On my Windows XP/Pro SP2 system, Windows Update fails.

After the "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows
updating
software" screen, this error appears:

[Error number: 0x8007000B]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

Windows Update Log (date/time stamp stripped)
Misc Validating signature for
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...r/wuredir.cab: error
0x8007000b
Misc Validating signature for
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
Misc Validating signature for
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
Misc Validating signature for
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuident.c ab:
Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
Misc Validating signature for
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuident.c ab:
Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...sus3setup.cab: error 0x8007000b
WUWeb FATAL: CheckIfClientUpdateNeeded failed: error 0x8007000b

This is a standalone system that has been kept updated. The XP installation
is about 2 years old. Windows Update has always worked perfectly. The first
clue that something was wrong was when Windows Defender could not get updated
definitions.

C:\windows\system32\wu*.* contains 16 modules that appear to have something
to do with updating. Most show version 7.0.6000.381 dated 7/30/2007.
Believe they came with critical update 942615 on 12/12/2006, MS07-069

Internet connection is via Comcast cable and a Motorola SGB900 cable modem.
I have disabled hardware & software firewalls. Anti-virus (AVG) has no
problems getting its updates. All other internet activity appears to be
working normally.

I have checked all suggestions in other postings of similar errors with no
success.

Bruce B
John Clark

RE: 0x8007000B Error in Win Update
I'm getting the exact same thing but using Microsoft Update. I know this box
had a virus/spyware hack similar to a smitfraud. The client brought me the
computer, we installed and ran defender which seems to have removed the hack.
F-Prot also removed a threat.

The box seems to be fine, except for this update problem.

XP Prof with SP2

Last lines of the update log have the same errors ......

--
John Clark
Clark Data Services, LLC

"Bruce B" wrote:

> On my Windows XP/Pro SP2 system, Windows Update fails.
>
> After the "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows
> updating
> software" screen, this error appears:
>
> [Error number: 0x8007000B]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
>
> Windows Update Log (date/time stamp stripped)
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...r/wuredir.cab: error
> 0x8007000b
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuident.c ab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuident.c ab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...sus3setup.cab: error 0x8007000b
> WUWeb FATAL: CheckIfClientUpdateNeeded failed: error 0x8007000b
>
> This is a standalone system that has been kept updated. The XP installation
> is about 2 years old. Windows Update has always worked perfectly. The first
> clue that something was wrong was when Windows Defender could not get updated
> definitions.
>
> C:\windows\system32\wu*.* contains 16 modules that appear to have something
> to do with updating. Most show version 7.0.6000.381 dated 7/30/2007.
> Believe they came with critical update 942615 on 12/12/2006, MS07-069
>
> Internet connection is via Comcast cable and a Motorola SGB900 cable modem.
> I have disabled hardware & software firewalls. Anti-virus (AVG) has no
> problems getting its updates. All other internet activity appears to be
> working normally.
>
> I have checked all suggestions in other postings of similar errors with no
> success.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
> --
> Bruce B

howard stern

"Bruce B" wrote:

> On my Windows XP/Pro SP2 system, Windows Update fails.
>
> After the "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows
> updating
> software" screen, this error appears:
>
> [Error number: 0x8007000B]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
>
> Windows Update Log (date/time stamp stripped)
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...r/wuredir.cab: error
> 0x8007000b
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuident.c ab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuident.c ab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...sus3setup.cab: error 0x8007000b
> WUWeb FATAL: CheckIfClientUpdateNeeded failed: error 0x8007000b
>
> This is a standalone system that has been kept updated. The XP installation
> is about 2 years old. Windows Update has always worked perfectly. The first
> clue that something was wrong was when Windows Defender could not get updated
> definitions.
>
> C:\windows\system32\wu*.* contains 16 modules that appear to have something
> to do with updating. Most show version 7.0.6000.381 dated 7/30/2007.
> Believe they came with critical update 942615 on 12/12/2006, MS07-069
>
> Internet connection is via Comcast cable and a Motorola SGB900 cable modem.
> I have disabled hardware & software firewalls. Anti-virus (AVG) has no
> problems getting its updates. All other internet activity appears to be
> working normally.
>
> I have checked all suggestions in other postings of similar errors with no
> success.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
> --
> Bruce B

Bruce B

RE: 0x8007000B Error in Win Update
GOOD NEWS!!! John, your post got me going down another track. Turns out I
apparently had a BROWSER HIJACKER active! The key was when I tried to go
directly to
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...ir/wuredir.cab and I
wound up at some other goofball site! I had noticed that sometimes I wound
up at questionable sites for unknown reasons, but never made the connection
that perhaps a browser-hijacker might be the culprit.

I give credit to the webmaster at this site:

http://www.precisesecurity.com/tools...val-procedure/

In part, these were the directions that fixed my problem. Done in SAFE MODE

Modify Registry Entries:
1. This procedure requires to modify registry entries. You must backup your
registry. How to BackUp Registry
2. Go to Start>Run>Regedit
3. Navigate to the following entries and remove the value if present:

*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer= (leave blank)
*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\T cpip\Parameters\NameServer=
(leave blank)

Modify TCP-IP Settings:
4. Go to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections and double-click to open.
5. Right-click then click on Properties
6. Go to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)
7. Click on Obtain DNS server address automatically if there was an assigned
unknown DNS

He also suggested running Adaware 2007 and ewido antivirus. I use Adaware
and ewido is compatable with AVG antivirus which I also have. Adaware
wouldn't run in SAFEmode - aborted with a goofball error. I couldn't get the
ewido online scan to work, so I ran AVG. It didn't come up with anything.

ANYHOW after I did the reg hacks and the TCP-IP updates, Windows Update
works as always. I was able to upload Defender's updates and now he is happy
and all is well.

John, I hope this fix works for you as well.

Bruce B.
Marcel K

RE: 0x8007000B Error in Win Update
Bruce... Thanks A LOT ! Finally i solved this been having it since ages and
didnt know what to do!

Thanks again!
Derek H.

RE: 0x8007000B Error in Win Update
Bruce, this nailed right on the head. Had been running around in circles
trying to figure out why I couldn't get to the windows update page.

Thanks for posting this.

"Bruce B" wrote:

> GOOD NEWS!!! John, your post got me going down another track. Turns out I
> apparently had a BROWSER HIJACKER active! The key was when I tried to go
> directly to
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...ir/wuredir.cab and I
> wound up at some other goofball site! I had noticed that sometimes I wound
> up at questionable sites for unknown reasons, but never made the connection
> that perhaps a browser-hijacker might be the culprit.
>
> I give credit to the webmaster at this site:
>
> http://www.precisesecurity.com/tools...val-procedure/
>
> In part, these were the directions that fixed my problem. Done in SAFE MODE
>
> Modify Registry Entries:
> 1. This procedure requires to modify registry entries. You must backup your
> registry. How to BackUp Registry
> 2. Go to Start>Run>Regedit
> 3. Navigate to the following entries and remove the value if present:
>
> *
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer= (leave blank)
> *
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\T cpip\Parameters\NameServer=
> (leave blank)
>
> Modify TCP-IP Settings:
> 4. Go to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections and double-click to open.
> 5. Right-click then click on Properties
> 6. Go to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)
> 7. Click on Obtain DNS server address automatically if there was an assigned
> unknown DNS
>
> He also suggested running Adaware 2007 and ewido antivirus. I use Adaware
> and ewido is compatable with AVG antivirus which I also have. Adaware
> wouldn't run in SAFEmode - aborted with a goofball error. I couldn't get the
> ewido online scan to work, so I ran AVG. It didn't come up with anything.
>
> ANYHOW after I did the reg hacks and the TCP-IP updates, Windows Update
> works as always. I was able to upload Defender's updates and now he is happy
> and all is well.
>
> John, I hope this fix works for you as well.
>
> Bruce B.

Ben A.

Information
this is the first time i have ever had useful information on microsofts
website thankyou for being one of the few people on the internet who really
care about others
Ross M

RE: 0x8007000B Error in Win Update
OH MY GOODNESS it works!!! The only difference is that I also had to go into
Controlset002 as well and delete the parameter there but other than that I am
eternally in your debt!

tatjanap

RE: 0x8007000B Error in Win Update
This all is useful only for you, computer geeks. Do you have something more
easy for us, who are not so skilled? Or we're doomed on not to run any
updates on Microsoft at all?

Thank you.
Tatjana

"Bruce B" wrote:

> On my Windows XP/Pro SP2 system, Windows Update fails.
>
> After the "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows
> updating
> software" screen, this error appears:
>
> [Error number: 0x8007000B]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
>
> Windows Update Log (date/time stamp stripped)
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...r/wuredir.cab: error
> 0x8007000b
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuident.c ab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc Validating signature for
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuident.c ab:
> Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
> Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...sus3setup.cab: error 0x8007000b
> WUWeb FATAL: CheckIfClientUpdateNeeded failed: error 0x8007000b
>
> This is a standalone system that has been kept updated. The XP installation
> is about 2 years old. Windows Update has always worked perfectly. The first
> clue that something was wrong was when Windows Defender could not get updated
> definitions.
>
> C:\windows\system32\wu*.* contains 16 modules that appear to have something
> to do with updating. Most show version 7.0.6000.381 dated 7/30/2007.
> Believe they came with critical update 942615 on 12/12/2006, MS07-069
>
> Internet connection is via Comcast cable and a Motorola SGB900 cable modem.
> I have disabled hardware & software firewalls. Anti-virus (AVG) has no
> problems getting its updates. All other internet activity appears to be
> working normally.
>
> I have checked all suggestions in other postings of similar errors with no
> success.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
> --
> Bruce B

Bruce B

"tatjanap" wrote:

> This all is useful only for you, computer geeks. Do you have something more
> easy for us, who are not so skilled? Or we're doomed on not to run any
> updates on Microsoft at all?
>
> Thank you.
> Tatjana

Tatjana

I wish I could offer you a simple silver bullet to fix this problem. As you
can see from several of the posts, others have been successful in fixing this
problem. Unfortunately "simple" and "Microsoft" seem to be mutually
exclusive! While it looks complex on the surface, it really isn't too
difficult.

Please note that the actual "fix" is contained in the 3rd message down,
which was my post from 1/1/2008 10:42 PM PST . This thread is a bit
different in that I solved my own problem as a result of the post that John
Clark made on 1/1/2008 7:59 PM PST

If you are uncomfortable doing the procedure I outlined, I would suggest
that you print out post #3 and then have a friend who is more "geek
qualified" come over and do it for you. Show him/her the printed
instructions in post #3 first and ask if they would be comfortable doing this
procedure. Also, most geeks are easily bribed with an offer for dinner or
some other edible treat.

Good luck to you. You really do want to get Microsoft Update working.