Microsoft Update Error Windows XP SP2 IE 7

Isaac

Microsoft Update Error Windows XP SP2 IE 7
Let me start by saying I know I'm not the only one with this problem, and I
know I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to figure it out. I'm
desperate and hope the general braintrust of fellow MCSE's can help me here.

My friend's comptuer recently got infested with viruses, spyware, malware,
trojans, etc. After getting (no exageration) the 5,000 elements removed, I'm
having problems with IE. It's not just Windows Update, but I'm hoping if I
fix that, I fix everything.

My Windows Update Log gives this error almost every time:

WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
http://www.update.microsoft.com/v7/w...r/wuredir.cab: error
0x80072f78

The times I don't get the error, IE simply locks up. Interestingly, there
are times where I will have 1 IE session open googling the error code, and
then I will try a change and try to spawn MU in a new Windows. Usually that
Windows locks, but the really interesting part is that task manager shows no
new IE process loaded.

Here's what I've done (that I can remember, and I appologize for redundancy):

1. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941
2. Made sure my time is correct
3. Disabled all firewalls
4. Verified no proxy servers are defined/autodetect
5. Reinstalled Win Sockets
6. Reinstalled IE7
7. Added MS to trusted sites
8. Tried to install guided help (but it fails to resolve address at final
step)

That's all I can think of. I'm ready to reinstall the OS because I think
the malware may have corrupted something, but I don't want to let the hackers
win. I'm not sure how long my neighbor will let me play with this before he
wants a reload of OS, so any help would be nice.

PS: At his house he had DSL with dynamic IP. I have cable with dynamic IP.

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft Update Error Windows XP SP2 IE 7
Have you checked that automatic updating of trusted root authority certificates is turned
on?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
4. Click Next, and then click Finish.

Note
.. To open Add/Remove Windows Components, click Start, click Control Panel, click Add or
Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Isaac" <Isaac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Let me start by saying I know I'm not the only one with this problem, and I
| know I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to figure it out. I'm
| desperate and hope the general braintrust of fellow MCSE's can help me here.
|
| My friend's comptuer recently got infested with viruses, spyware, malware,
| trojans, etc. After getting (no exageration) the 5,000 elements removed, I'm
| having problems with IE. It's not just Windows Update, but I'm hoping if I
| fix that, I fix everything.
|
| My Windows Update Log gives this error almost every time:
|
| WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
| http://www.update.microsoft.com/v7/w...r/wuredir.cab: error
| 0x80072f78
|
| The times I don't get the error, IE simply locks up. Interestingly, there
| are times where I will have 1 IE session open googling the error code, and
| then I will try a change and try to spawn MU in a new Windows. Usually that
| Windows locks, but the really interesting part is that task manager shows no
| new IE process loaded.
|
| Here's what I've done (that I can remember, and I appologize for redundancy):
|
| 1. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941
| 2. Made sure my time is correct
| 3. Disabled all firewalls
| 4. Verified no proxy servers are defined/autodetect
| 5. Reinstalled Win Sockets
| 6. Reinstalled IE7
| 7. Added MS to trusted sites
| 8. Tried to install guided help (but it fails to resolve address at final
| step)
|
| That's all I can think of. I'm ready to reinstall the OS because I think
| the malware may have corrupted something, but I don't want to let the hackers
| win. I'm not sure how long my neighbor will let me play with this before he
| wants a reload of OS, so any help would be nice.
|
| PS: At his house he had DSL with dynamic IP. I have cable with dynamic IP.

Isaac

Re: Microsoft Update Error Windows XP SP2 IE 7
Yes, it is turned on. I also manually installed the certificate as
recommended in another posting. Further, for the heck of it, I reinstalled
SP2 last night. I've also reinstalled BITS and the Windows Update Client.
Still not working...

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Have you checked that automatic updating of trusted root authority certificates is turned
> on?
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
>
> 1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
> 2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
> 3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
> 4. Click Next, and then click Finish.
>
> Note
> .. To open Add/Remove Windows Components, click Start, click Control Panel, click Add or
> Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "Isaac" <Isaac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Let me start by saying I know I'm not the only one with this problem, and I
> | know I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to figure it out. I'm
> | desperate and hope the general braintrust of fellow MCSE's can help me here.
> |
> | My friend's comptuer recently got infested with viruses, spyware, malware,
> | trojans, etc. After getting (no exageration) the 5,000 elements removed, I'm
> | having problems with IE. It's not just Windows Update, but I'm hoping if I
> | fix that, I fix everything.
> |
> | My Windows Update Log gives this error almost every time:
> |
> | WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> | http://www.update.microsoft.com/v7/w...r/wuredir.cab: error
> | 0x80072f78
> |
> | The times I don't get the error, IE simply locks up. Interestingly, there
> | are times where I will have 1 IE session open googling the error code, and
> | then I will try a change and try to spawn MU in a new Windows. Usually that
> | Windows locks, but the really interesting part is that task manager shows no
> | new IE process loaded.
> |
> | Here's what I've done (that I can remember, and I appologize for redundancy):
> |
> | 1. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941
> | 2. Made sure my time is correct
> | 3. Disabled all firewalls
> | 4. Verified no proxy servers are defined/autodetect
> | 5. Reinstalled Win Sockets
> | 6. Reinstalled IE7
> | 7. Added MS to trusted sites
> | 8. Tried to install guided help (but it fails to resolve address at final
> | step)
> |
> | That's all I can think of. I'm ready to reinstall the OS because I think
> | the malware may have corrupted something, but I don't want to let the hackers
> | win. I'm not sure how long my neighbor will let me play with this before he
> | wants a reload of OS, so any help would be nice.
> |
> | PS: At his house he had DSL with dynamic IP. I have cable with dynamic IP.

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft Update Error Windows XP SP2 IE 7
Sometimes you just have to start over especially as you mentioned the problems with
infection etc.
Might be quicker than trying to fix it. Had to do it on a friend's computer recently.
Save what you can (data files) etc.

====================================

| Yes, it is turned on. I also manually installed the certificate as
| recommended in another posting. Further, for the heck of it, I reinstalled
| SP2 last night. I've also reinstalled BITS and the Windows Update Client.
| Still not working...
|
| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > Have you checked that automatic updating of trusted root authority certificates is
turned
| > on?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

| > 1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
| > 2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
| > 3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
| > 4. Click Next, and then click Finish.
| >
| > Note
| > .. To open Add/Remove Windows Components, click Start, click Control Panel, click Add
or
| > Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.
| >
| > --
| > ====================================
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
| > ====================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
| > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
| >

| > "Isaac" <Isaac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Let me start by saying I know I'm not the only one with this problem, and I
| > | know I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to figure it out. I'm
| > | desperate and hope the general braintrust of fellow MCSE's can help me here.
| > |
| > | My friend's comptuer recently got infested with viruses, spyware, malware,
| > | trojans, etc. After getting (no exageration) the 5,000 elements removed, I'm
| > | having problems with IE. It's not just Windows Update, but I'm hoping if I
| > | fix that, I fix everything.
| > |
| > | My Windows Update Log gives this error almost every time:
| > |
| > | WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
| > | http://www.update.microsoft.com/v7/w...r/wuredir.cab: error
| > | 0x80072f78
| > |
| > | The times I don't get the error, IE simply locks up. Interestingly, there
| > | are times where I will have 1 IE session open googling the error code, and
| > | then I will try a change and try to spawn MU in a new Windows. Usually that
| > | Windows locks, but the really interesting part is that task manager shows no
| > | new IE process loaded.
| > |
| > | Here's what I've done (that I can remember, and I appologize for redundancy):
| > |
| > | 1. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941
| > | 2. Made sure my time is correct
| > | 3. Disabled all firewalls
| > | 4. Verified no proxy servers are defined/autodetect
| > | 5. Reinstalled Win Sockets
| > | 6. Reinstalled IE7
| > | 7. Added MS to trusted sites
| > | 8. Tried to install guided help (but it fails to resolve address at final
| > | step)
| > |
| > | That's all I can think of. I'm ready to reinstall the OS because I think
| > | the malware may have corrupted something, but I don't want to let the hackers
| > | win. I'm not sure how long my neighbor will let me play with this before he
| > | wants a reload of OS, so any help would be nice.
| > |
| > | PS: At his house he had DSL with dynamic IP. I have cable with dynamic IP.
| > |

PA Bear

Re: Microsoft Update Error Windows XP SP2 IE 7
Unless you format & reinstall Windows (neither a Repair install or a
reinstall of SP2 will help), it's time to...

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware and post your hijackthis log to an
appropriate forum for review by an expert.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for expert
analysis, not here.**