repeat of same update

scotta69

repeat of same update
i keep getting prompted to install the same 'new update'
this is 'Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)'
even after installing , get the same update appear within say 10 minutes .
Please can you sort this obvious balls up out
TaurArian

Re: repeat of same update
Start by checking "known issues"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181/en-us

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"scotta69" <scotta69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|i keep getting prompted to install the same 'new update'
| this is 'Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)'
| even after installing , get the same update appear within say 10 minutes .
| Please can you sort this obvious balls up out

Joe

RE: repeat of same update
Look at my post titled "same update will not stop updating" on 12/30. I
turned off automatic updates, uninstalled the update from "add and remove
programs", then turned on automatic updates once again. It installed
properly, and I've had no problems since.

"scotta69" wrote:

> i keep getting prompted to install the same 'new update'
> this is 'Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)'
> even after installing , get the same update appear within say 10 minutes .
> Please can you sort this obvious balls up out

George

RE: repeat of same update

"scotta69" wrote:

> i keep getting prompted to install the same 'new update'
> this is 'Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)'
> even after installing , get the same update appear within say 10 minutes .
> Please can you sort this obvious balls up out

Shenan Stanley

Re: repeat of same update
scotta69 wrote:
> i keep getting prompted to install the same 'new update'
> this is 'Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)'
> even after installing , get the same update appear within say 10
> minutes . Please can you sort this obvious balls up out

George wrote:

George,

Did you change your mind about posting but hit send anyway?

Probably noto going to help scotta69 out too much anyway - considering they
probably are no longer monitoring this conversation:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...889bb87309bf8/
(Yeah, December 2007 and January 2008.)

Always look at the articles that reference the update - sometimes you'll
find your answer embedded in the information about the patch you are trying
to install.

You know the KB article #, as you gave it: 936181
Take that and put together the microsoft page that references it:
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/###### or:
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/936181

In this case - if you scroll down to the "Known issues with this security
update" section, you might find:
"This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it
has not been updated correctly."

Reading more, you'd see it points you to:
Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 may
repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
Update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/

Which tells you to:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. At the command prompt, type ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old,
and then press ENTER.
*Note* After you press ENTER, you may receive the following error message:
Cannot find the file specified.
Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
4. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.update.microsoft.com
5. Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP