USB modem device problem, help!

nettie

USB modem device problem, help!
I installed a VZWireless USB modem on my desktop pc for broadband internet
access. My pc won't boot if the USB's plugged in, even after changing the
boot sequence. If I plug in the USB once my desktop screen's up, Windows XP
crashes so I unplug and restart. I have to plug in the USB right after
boot-up, while Windows is loading. Then when I doubleclick the VZAccess MGR
icon to logon, I get 2 computer icons on my desktop toolbar with red x's on
them, but I can still get on the internet with no problems. My modem's
software says it's compatible with Windows XP, but something in my PC isn't
liking the device. Anyone have this happen or have suggestions?
realcestmoi

Re: USB modem device problem, help!
Hello there,

This has nothing to do with windows update and should be posted in the XP
hardware group.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB modemdrivers from the
InstallationCD. If
not succesfull post your issue in
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...&lang=en&cr=US

Good luck and best regards,
Michel Denie

"nettie" <nettie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a VZWireless USB modem on my desktop pc for broadband internet
> access. My pc won't boot if the USB's plugged in, even after changing the
> boot sequence. If I plug in the USB once my desktop screen's up, Windows
> XP
> crashes so I unplug and restart. I have to plug in the USB right after
> boot-up, while Windows is loading. Then when I doubleclick the VZAccess
> MGR
> icon to logon, I get 2 computer icons on my desktop toolbar with red x's
> on
> them, but I can still get on the internet with no problems. My modem's
> software says it's compatible with Windows XP, but something in my PC
> isn't
> liking the device. Anyone have this happen or have suggestions?

My Errant Mind

"nettie" wrote:

> I installed a VZWireless USB modem on my desktop pc for broadband internet
> access. My pc won't boot if the USB's plugged in, even after changing the
> boot sequence. If I plug in the USB once my desktop screen's up, Windows XP
> crashes so I unplug and restart. I have to plug in the USB right after
> boot-up, while Windows is loading. Then when I doubleclick the VZAccess MGR
> icon to logon, I get 2 computer icons on my desktop toolbar with red x's on
> them, but I can still get on the internet with no problems. My modem's
> software says it's compatible with Windows XP, but something in my PC isn't
> liking the device. Anyone have this happen or have suggestions?

Check your BIOS settings out and look for "USB support" and check the
settings. You may find that you have options to choose from none or disabled
and 'all' or 'legacy' in the menu. While it seems to make sense that you
should enable 'all' or at least 'legacy' support, oddly enough if you disable
this setting, your Windows PC will boot up with USB drives and wireless
keyboards and mice.

I know this only because of my own frustrating search for an answer when I
added a wireless keyboard and mouse by Mi.

I had tried disabling Plug N Play OS settings, and such things as wake-up
events for keyboard and mice to no avail. Simply disabling USB legacy support
did the trick.

I hope this is helpful.

Sean