SP3-RC1 ?

beamish

SP3-RC1 ?
Hello,
Have found three different SP3-RC1 downloads.A 77mb, 333.6mb and 554mb.
The 77mb was on the Microsoft WindowsXP auto-download site, used a registry
change that allowed this to download and install but not able to save the
file.
Removed this and did nothing with the 554mb file.
I was able to download and save and install the 333.6mb download.
Installed, no problems.
Listed in Add/Remove as SP3, no listing anywhere as RC1.
No listing of any time limit.

I thought that there is a time limit and a indication of this time limit.
Have removed SP3 from the system, have the following question.

Is it possible to find out if this has a time limit?

take care
beamish

Shenan Stanley

Re: SP3-RC1 ?
beamish wrote:
> Have found three different SP3-RC1 downloads.A 77mb, 333.6mb and
> 554mb. The 77mb was on the Microsoft WindowsXP auto-download site,
> used a registry change that allowed this to download and install
> but not able to save the file.
> Removed this and did nothing with the 554mb file.
> I was able to download and save and install the 333.6mb download.
> Installed, no problems.
> Listed in Add/Remove as SP3, no listing anywhere as RC1.
> No listing of any time limit.
>
> I thought that there is a time limit and a indication of this time
> limit. Have removed SP3 from the system, have the following
> question.
>
> Is it possible to find out if this has a time limit?

*NOTE* Do not install this thinking this is the final release of SP3 - it is
*not*.

SP3 Information (current information):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

(The above/below can even lead you to a link to download it.)

The official size at this time is 336.1MB.

AGAIN:
Release Candidate... - so it is *not* the final version - use only if you
don't mind extra work and possible unsupported issues...

Microsoft's advice:
"This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only. Microsoft
does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission critical
systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior to
installing any pre-release software."

The only mention of time limits I could find:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6582&SiteID=17

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear

Re: SP3-RC1 ?
The only source of support for WinXP SP3 Release Candidate betas is here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2010&SiteID=17

[Yes, the builds automatically expire after 180 days.]
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> beamish wrote:
> > Have found three different SP3-RC1 downloads.A 77mb, 333.6mb and
> > 554mb. The 77mb was on the Microsoft WindowsXP auto-download site,
> > used a registry change that allowed this to download and install
> > but not able to save the file.
> > Removed this and did nothing with the 554mb file.
> > I was able to download and save and install the 333.6mb download.
> > Installed, no problems.
> > Listed in Add/Remove as SP3, no listing anywhere as RC1.
> > No listing of any time limit.
> >
> > I thought that there is a time limit and a indication of this time
> > limit. Have removed SP3 from the system, have the following
> > question.
> >
> > Is it possible to find out if this has a time limit?

> *NOTE* Do not install this thinking this is the final release of SP3 - it is
> *not*.
>
> SP3 Information (current information):
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
>
> (The above/below can even lead you to a link to download it.)
>
> The official size at this time is 336.1MB.
>
> AGAIN:
> Release Candidate... - so it is *not* the final version - use only if you
> don't mind extra work and possible unsupported issues...
>
> Microsoft's advice:
> "This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only. Microsoft
> does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission critical
> systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior to
> installing any pre-release software."
>
> The only mention of time limits I could find:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6582&SiteID=17
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Hello, Thank You for replying.
The time limit information from the link you posted is the
same type of information I located on-line, from several sites.
Unless MS makes a statement I place this in unknown area.
Once again Thank You for replying.

Hope you and your family have a prosperous, healthy and safe New Year.

take care.
beamish.
PA Bear

Re: SP3-RC1 ?
beamish wrote:
>>> Have found three different SP3-RC1 downloads.A 77mb, 333.6mb and
>>> 554mb. The 77mb was on the Microsoft WindowsXP auto-download site,
>>> used a registry change that allowed this to download and install
>>> but not able to save the file.
>>> Removed this and did nothing with the 554mb file.
>>> I was able to download and save and install the 333.6mb download.
>>> Installed, no problems.
>>> Listed in Add/Remove as SP3, no listing anywhere as RC1.
>>> No listing of any time limit.
>>>
>>> I thought that there is a time limit and a indication of this time
>>> limit. Have removed SP3 from the system, have the following
>>> question.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to find out if this has a time limit?

>> *NOTE* Do not install this thinking this is the final release of SP3 - it
>> is
>> *not*.
>>
>> SP3 Information (current information):
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
>>
>> (The above/below can even lead you to a link to download it.)
>>
>> The official size at this time is 336.1MB.
>>
>> AGAIN:
>> Release Candidate... - so it is *not* the final version - use only if you
>> don't mind extra work and possible unsupported issues...
>>
>> Microsoft's advice:
>> "This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only.
>> Microsoft
>> does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission
>> critical
>> systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior
>> installing any pre-release software."
>>
>> The only mention of time limits I could find:
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6582&SiteID=17
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>

> Hello, Thank You for replying.
> The time limit information from the link you posted is the
> same type of information I located on-line, from several sites.
> Unless MS makes a statement I place this in unknown area.

<snip>

The only "statements" MS will make regarding WinXP SP3 will be in the forum
to which both of us have pointed you.

cf.
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...1105&SiteID=17

cf.
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6152&SiteID=17

Please post any more questions to that forum. Thank you.