KB9412615 and IE7 in Vista

rvw869

KB9412615 and IE7 in Vista
Hello all, I have been reading about this for several hours now and cannot
seem to find an answer. There seems to be a fix for IE6, but not for IE7 as
I am running.

I have the same issue on two Vista Machines with IE7, once I install the
security update (KB942615) I have the same problem on both machines: IE7
will not even open. I unistall the this particular update and everything
works fine. I have tried the various install/unistall fixes, suggested by
others on this board, to no avail. Am I missing an easy fix somewhere? (I do
not have the same problems on my XP Machines)

For what it is worth I am running Zonealarm security suite on both machines.

Anybody having the same problem or issues? Any one have a fix? Thanks.
PA Bear

Re: KB9412615 and IE7 in Vista
One assumes "IE7 will not open" should not be taken literally.

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

[Be aware that ZA Security Suite has been the cause of this problem for
many, many users!]

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

rvw869 wrote:
> Hello all, I have been reading about this for several hours now and cannot
> seem to find an answer. There seems to be a fix for IE6, but not for IE7
> as
> I am running.
>
> I have the same issue on two Vista Machines with IE7, once I install the
> security update (KB942615) I have the same problem on both machines: IE7
> will not even open. I unistall the this particular update and everything
> works fine. I have tried the various install/unistall fixes, suggested
> by
> others on this board, to no avail. Am I missing an easy fix somewhere? (I
> do not have the same problems on my XP Machines)
>
> For what it is worth I am running Zonealarm security suite on both
> machines.
>
> Anybody having the same problem or issues? Any one have a fix? Thanks.

rvw869

Re: KB9412615 and IE7 in Vista
No, take it literally. IE7 will not even OPEN.

I tried completely uninstalling ZAlarm, doing the update, and then
reinstalling ZA, it seems to have worked thus far on one machine. I will
update this posting if it works on my other machine, (or stops working)

"PA Bear" wrote:

> One assumes "IE7 will not open" should not be taken literally.
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>
> [Be aware that ZA Security Suite has been the cause of this problem for
> many, many users!]
>
> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> following:
>
> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
> an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
> Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
> third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
> browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
> application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
> may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>
> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)"
> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
> and reboot.
>
> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>
> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
> offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
> category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
> additional security.
>
> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
> firewall.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> rvw869 wrote:
> > Hello all, I have been reading about this for several hours now and cannot
> > seem to find an answer. There seems to be a fix for IE6, but not for IE7
> > as
> > I am running.
> >
> > I have the same issue on two Vista Machines with IE7, once I install the
> > security update (KB942615) I have the same problem on both machines: IE7
> > will not even open. I unistall the this particular update and everything
> > works fine. I have tried the various install/unistall fixes, suggested
> > by
> > others on this board, to no avail. Am I missing an easy fix somewhere? (I
> > do not have the same problems on my XP Machines)
> >
> > For what it is worth I am running Zonealarm security suite on both
> > machines.
> >
> > Anybody having the same problem or issues? Any one have a fix? Thanks.

PA Bear

Re: KB9412615 and IE7 in Vista
1. Uninstall ZA Security suite & reboot.

2. Enable the Windows Firewall.

3. Install 941625 & see if the behavior persists afterwards.

If it does, please...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

rvw869 wrote:
> [...]
>>> IE7
>>> as
>>> I am running.
>>>
>>> I have the same issue on two Vista Machines with IE7, once I install the
>>> security update (KB942615) I have the same problem on both machines:
>>> IE7
>>> will not even open. I unistall the this particular update and
>>> everything
>>> works fine. I have tried the various install/unistall fixes, suggested
>>> by
>>> others on this board, to no avail. Am I missing an easy fix somewhere?
>>> (I
>>> do not have the same problems on my XP Machines)
>>>
>>> For what it is worth I am running Zonealarm security suite on both
>>> machines.
>>>
>>> Anybody having the same problem or issues? Any one have a fix? Thanks.

Update. Zonealarm seems to have been the culprit in all of this. I had
similar issues after the next security update for Vista by Microsoft as well.

The solution on both my Vista machines (seemed not to have the problem on my
XP machine) was as PA Bear wrote below. I had to completely uninstall my ZA
Security Suite, run the updates, and then reinstall Zonealarm.

In the mean time my ZA subscription expired and I have switched security
suites have have not had the same issue again.