Same update will not stop updating

Joe

Same update will not stop updating
With automatic updates turned on, the same update continuously shows ready to
install on my taskbar via the yellow shield. It installs successfully every
time, however, the notification (yellow shield) never goes away. I confirmed
in my update history that I have installed the same update 16 times. The
update is "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181). Help! (yes, I restarted) (Dell Vostro 1400 laptop)
Terence Watts

RE: Same update will not stop updating
I have exactly the same problem... it's showing as being installed many
times. Every time I close the PC down, it takes ages as it reinstalls once
more. I hope somebody comes up with an answer - nobody else I've spoken to
seems to know about the problem.

I am also on a Dell machine - a Dimension 9100

Terence

"Joe" wrote:

> With automatic updates turned on, the same update continuously shows ready to
> install on my taskbar via the yellow shield. It installs successfully every
> time, however, the notification (yellow shield) never goes away. I confirmed
> in my update history that I have installed the same update 16 times. The
> update is "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB936181). Help! (yes, I restarted) (Dell Vostro 1400 laptop)

Dan

RE: Same update will not stop updating
Same problem and I am on a VIAO VGN-FZ140E. I think I downloaded this
program about 20 times now. So I think this problem is widespread, I am
about ready to shut-off automatic updates. I may try updating again without
the anti-virus and spysweeper on to see if that helps.

"Terence Watts" wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem... it's showing as being installed many
> times. Every time I close the PC down, it takes ages as it reinstalls once
> more. I hope somebody comes up with an answer - nobody else I've spoken to
> seems to know about the problem.
>
> I am also on a Dell machine - a Dimension 9100
>
> Terence
>

> "Joe" wrote:
>
> > With automatic updates turned on, the same update continuously shows ready to
> > install on my taskbar via the yellow shield. It installs successfully every
> > time, however, the notification (yellow shield) never goes away. I confirmed
> > in my update history that I have installed the same update 16 times. The
> > update is "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> > (KB936181). Help! (yes, I restarted) (Dell Vostro 1400 laptop)

Gab

RE: Same update will not stop updating
Same problem as everyone else. I would agree it must be widespread, hope a
solution is short coming. Updates every time I use Computer.

"Dan" wrote:

> Same problem and I am on a VIAO VGN-FZ140E. I think I downloaded this
> program about 20 times now. So I think this problem is widespread, I am
> about ready to shut-off automatic updates. I may try updating again without
> the anti-virus and spysweeper on to see if that helps.
>
> "Terence Watts" wrote:
>
> > I have exactly the same problem... it's showing as being installed many
> > times. Every time I close the PC down, it takes ages as it reinstalls once
> > more. I hope somebody comes up with an answer - nobody else I've spoken to
> > seems to know about the problem.
> >
> > I am also on a Dell machine - a Dimension 9100
> >
> > Terence
> >

> > "Joe" wrote:
> >
> > > With automatic updates turned on, the same update continuously shows ready to
> > > install on my taskbar via the yellow shield. It installs successfully every
> > > time, however, the notification (yellow shield) never goes away. I confirmed
> > > in my update history that I have installed the same update 16 times. The
> > > update is "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> > > (KB936181). Help! (yes, I restarted) (Dell Vostro 1400 laptop)

Mal

RE: Same update will not stop updating
I have the same problem. I'm running Vista business 64 Bit & this is really
beginning to bug me as my system seems to slow down if I don't keep
installing the update!

"Gab" wrote:

> Same problem as everyone else. I would agree it must be widespread, hope a
> solution is short coming. Updates every time I use Computer.
>
> "Dan" wrote:
>
> > Same problem and I am on a VIAO VGN-FZ140E. I think I downloaded this
> > program about 20 times now. So I think this problem is widespread, I am
> > about ready to shut-off automatic updates. I may try updating again without
> > the anti-virus and spysweeper on to see if that helps.
> >
> > "Terence Watts" wrote:
> >
> > > I have exactly the same problem... it's showing as being installed many
> > > times. Every time I close the PC down, it takes ages as it reinstalls once
> > > more. I hope somebody comes up with an answer - nobody else I've spoken to
> > > seems to know about the problem.
> > >
> > > I am also on a Dell machine - a Dimension 9100
> > >
> > > Terence

kvb

RE: Same update will not stop updating
Same problem with Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service
Pack 2 (KB936181) on a Fujitsu computer running XP (Home) . Looks like
Microsoft have a problem here !

"Mal" wrote:

> I have the same problem. I'm running Vista business 64 Bit & this is really
> beginning to bug me as my system seems to slow down if I don't keep
> installing the update!
>
> "Gab" wrote:
>
> > Same problem as everyone else. I would agree it must be widespread, hope a
> > solution is short coming. Updates every time I use Computer.
> >
> > "Dan" wrote:
> >
> > > Same problem and I am on a VIAO VGN-FZ140E. I think I downloaded this
> > > program about 20 times now. So I think this problem is widespread, I am
> > > about ready to shut-off automatic updates. I may try updating again without
> > > the anti-virus and spysweeper on to see if that helps.

mamabear0917

RE: Same update will not stop updating
Same problem, bought a new HP Pavilion on 12/16/07 and the Security Update
for Microsoft XML Core Service Pack 2 has updated over 30 times. I enjoy
Vista but this is ridiculous, I'm also thinking of shutting off automatic
updates.

"Joe" wrote:

> With automatic updates turned on, the same update continuously shows ready to
> install on my taskbar via the yellow shield. It installs successfully every
> time, however, the notification (yellow shield) never goes away. I confirmed
> in my update history that I have installed the same update 16 times. The
> update is "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB936181). Help! (yes, I restarted) (Dell Vostro 1400 laptop)

adamabcd

Re: Same update will not stop updating

Hi,
I've had this problem for ages but only just got around to looking into
it.
Thanks for your post as it pointed me in the right direction.
To solve:
Goto control panel/add remove programs.
Remove MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
It will get restored (correctly) next time you do an update.

--
adamabcd
adamabcd's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=38627

http://forums.techarena.in