SP1 update for Vista

Kelly

SP1 update for Vista
When this update comes out is it going to be on the Windows update site?Vista
came with my new computer last Feb.I was having problems with it freezing up
alot so I bought XP for the time being.I want to put Vista back on and am
wondering if I should do it now or wait for the update?If I do it now and
have the same problem will the update fix it?
Shenan Stanley

Re: SP1 update for Vista
Kelly wrote:
> When this update comes out is it going to be on the Windows update
> site?Vista came with my new computer last Feb.I was having problems
> with it freezing up alot so I bought XP for the time being.I want
> to put Vista back on and am wondering if I should do it now or wait
> for the update?If I do it now and have the same problem will the
> update fix it?

First - have most updates from Microsoft that are released to the public (in
particular Service Packs for Operating Systems) been available on the
Windows Update (Microsoft Update) site? Yep. So - why would you think it
wouldn't be...? It is Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista - do you think
Microsoft was not going to release it to the public freely (like all other
SPs) at all and in order to get the fixes you had to buy Windows Vista SP1
and install that? (Yes - I know - sometimes the OS X updates seem like they
do that to you. *grin*)

Yes - I figure Windows Vista SP1 will be available for download (and likely
handed out in CD and available on Microsoft Updates as an update you can
select from many and slipstreamable into your DVD, etc) like the other
service packs before it for Microsoft Operating Systems. I doubt Microsoft
will change their method of handing out patches suddenly - especially given
how much bad PR Windows Vista has already gotten them.

As for it 'fixing your problem' - sounds more like whomever sold you the
computer need(ed)(s) to fix it so it would/will work with Vista and instead
either gave you Windows XP or you decided the problem was not worth forcing
the manufacturer of said computer to do their job and support what they sold
you?

Not knowing why your computer was 'freezing' - there is no way of knowing if
the fix you need is going to be in SP1 *or* if the fix you needed was
updated hardware drivers and either patches for the software you were trying
to run or whole new (and compatible) versions of said software.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP