> I had to restore my computer the other day. It is a toshiba laptop
> with windows xp version 2 home edition. when I try windows update
> it gives me this message...."the website has encountered a problem
> and cannot display the page you are trying to view. error
> 0x80072F76. I can't find a link to this error message anywhere to
> see what the problem is and as well I believe I need to get a hold
> of the service pack somehow. Can anyone please give me some
> advice? A starting point would be great
Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
My general suggestions, before installing SP2, is to properly prepare
- Backup your stuff...
- Uninstall any unused software from the Add or Remove Programs control
- Visit the manufacturer's web site for EACH of your hardware components and
download/install the latest hardware drivers. (Motherboard chipset, video
card, sound card, network card, etc.)
- Check for updates for each of the software packages you have installed and
install the updates if available.
- Using something like SuperAntiSpyware - do a thorough check for
- Using your UPDATED AntiVirus - do a thorough check for
- I like to run CCleaner and clear up all the temporary files and such
taking up space.
- CHKDSK the system drive (usually c:\.)
- DEFRAGment the system drive.
- Download the full SP2 installer (says for IT professionals - no biggie)
and utilize it to install SP2.
Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way