Failed Update - SP3

AlanF

Failed Update - SP3
To preserve my sanity can anyone help?

I run with Windows XP Home Edition and have automatic updates configured -
the problem I cannot resolve is that an update installing SP3 has failed with
an error code of 0x8024002D.

I have tried installing this several times but it has failed every time.

The messages I am getting are:

" The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk
that is not available"

"Insert the Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage disk and click ok"

"Use source: Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage"

As I said earlier I am using Home Edition not XP Professional, and I also
see that the update is relative to Frontpage 2002. The version I am working
with is FP 2003.

I have tried putting my FP 2003 disk in when a disk is called for, but
predictably it fails!!

Now I am just frustrated and want to stop the pesky little 'update shield'
appearing every time in my status bar, waiting for it to appear seems to slow
down my system when I boot-up! Do I 'really' need SP3, if not I want rid of
this so-called update.

I have tried a number of options without success.

I do hope someone can help!!!!

Thanks in advance,

TaurArian

Re: Failed Update - SP3
Not your Windows XP CD but your Office CD.

"Error Code: 0x8024002D
means - a full-file patch failed because the source was required

If you were downloading a patch, repair Office install and try the patch again or try
installing the patch with the Office CD in the installation drive."

1. Try installing Service Pack 3 with your Office 2003 CD in the installation CD-ROM drive
before trying to install.

2. Try downloading the full installation pack and installing
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-5e3c1132f206
NB - Full-file version update may request Office source files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840169/

3. Try and fix the problem -
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402361033.aspx
"Enabling the local installation source".

4. Try repairing/reinstalling Office 2003 -
Description of the differences between repair and reinstall in Office XP and 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298027

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"AlanF" <AlanF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| To preserve my sanity can anyone help?
|
| I run with Windows XP Home Edition and have automatic updates configured -
| the problem I cannot resolve is that an update installing SP3 has failed with
| an error code of 0x8024002D.
|
| I have tried installing this several times but it has failed every time.
|
| The messages I am getting are:
|
| " The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk
| that is not available"
|
| "Insert the Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage disk and click ok"
|
| "Use source: Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage"
|
| As I said earlier I am using Home Edition not XP Professional, and I also
| see that the update is relative to Frontpage 2002. The version I am working
| with is FP 2003.
|
| I have tried putting my FP 2003 disk in when a disk is called for, but
| predictably it fails!!
|
| Now I am just frustrated and want to stop the pesky little 'update shield'
| appearing every time in my status bar, waiting for it to appear seems to slow
| down my system when I boot-up! Do I 'really' need SP3, if not I want rid of
| this so-called update.
|
| I have tried a number of options without success.
|
| I do hope someone can help!!!!
|
| Thanks in advance,

AlanF

Re: Failed Update - SP3
Dear TaurArian,

Thanks for your reply. I do not have an Office CD. Windows XP Home Edition
was pre-installed, along with MS Word 2002. I guess that Picture Manager was
also included in the earlier installation. The only other Office programme I
have installed myself was MS Frontpage 2003 (not 2002). So, I'm a little
anxious about taking some of the options you have suggested lest by doing so
it puts me in a worse situation than I am now.

Any further thoughts?

AlanF

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Not your Windows XP CD but your Office CD.
>
> "Error Code: 0x8024002D
> means - a full-file patch failed because the source was required
>
> If you were downloading a patch, repair Office install and try the patch again or try
> installing the patch with the Office CD in the installation drive."
>
> 1. Try installing Service Pack 3 with your Office 2003 CD in the installation CD-ROM drive
> before trying to install.
>
> 2. Try downloading the full installation pack and installing
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-5e3c1132f206
> NB - Full-file version update may request Office source files
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840169/
>
> 3. Try and fix the problem -
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...402361033.aspx
> "Enabling the local installation source".
>
> 4. Try repairing/reinstalling Office 2003 -
> Description of the differences between repair and reinstall in Office XP and 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298027
>

> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "AlanF" <AlanF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | To preserve my sanity can anyone help?
> |
> | I run with Windows XP Home Edition and have automatic updates configured -
> | the problem I cannot resolve is that an update installing SP3 has failed with
> | an error code of 0x8024002D.
> |
> | I have tried installing this several times but it has failed every time.
> |
> | The messages I am getting are:
> |
> | " The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk
> | that is not available"
> |
> | "Insert the Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage disk and click ok"
> |
> | "Use source: Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage"
> |
> | As I said earlier I am using Home Edition not XP Professional, and I also
> | see that the update is relative to Frontpage 2002. The version I am working
> | with is FP 2003.
> |
> | I have tried putting my FP 2003 disk in when a disk is called for, but
> | predictably it fails!!
> |
> | Now I am just frustrated and want to stop the pesky little 'update shield'
> | appearing every time in my status bar, waiting for it to appear seems to slow
> | down my system when I boot-up! Do I 'really' need SP3, if not I want rid of
> | this so-called update.
> |
> | I have tried a number of options without success.
> |
> | I do hope someone can help!!!!
> |
> | Thanks in advance,

Shenan Stanley

Re: Failed Update - SP3
AlanF wrote:
> To preserve my sanity can anyone help?
>
> I run with Windows XP Home Edition and have automatic updates
> configured - the problem I cannot resolve is that an update
> installing SP3 has failed with an error code of 0x8024002D.
>
> I have tried installing this several times but it has failed every
> time.
>
> The messages I am getting are:
>
> " The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other
> removable disk that is not available"
>
> "Insert the Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage disk
> and click ok"
>
> "Use source: Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage"
>
> As I said earlier I am using Home Edition not XP Professional, and
> I also
> see that the update is relative to Frontpage 2002. The version I am
> working with is FP 2003.
>
> I have tried putting my FP 2003 disk in when a disk is called for,
> but predictably it fails!!
>
> Now I am just frustrated and want to stop the pesky little 'update
> shield' appearing every time in my status bar, waiting for it to
> appear seems to slow down my system when I boot-up! Do I 'really'
> need SP3, if not I want rid of this so-called update.
>
> I have tried a number of options without success.

Take a deep breath and look what you have written and comprehend what you
are reading...

You mention using Windows XP Home Edition and Not Windows XP Professional.
This has *nothing* to do with the problem you are experiencing. You said it
asks specifically for the "Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage
disk" <- it cannot get clearer than that. You need your Microsoft Office CD
<-- This has nothing to do with Microsoft Windows XP, everything to do with
Microsoft Office XP. Notice "Office" and "Windows" are spelled different.
;-) That's because they are different products.

Windows XP (Home, Professional, Media Center, TabletPC, x64) is an Operating
System.
Office XP (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc) is a suite of productivity
products.
Both - in this case - are produced by Microsoft - beyond that - the
similarity ends.

You say - in another off-shoot of this thread - that Word was pre-installed
on this machine. Did you *not* get a way of restoring this system from
scratch when you purchased it - like a CD to install Word XP (2002) from?
Or is this one of those crappy deals where you get a recovery CD
set/restoration CD set or even worse - a recovery partition?

More than likely the CD it is looking for is the one that was originally
used by whomever to install Word 2002 (XP).

So...

Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

Released way back on 3/30/2004. What I suggest is that you download from
the above link the "OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe" file and save it
to your desktop. (57.5MB - not 16MB!) Try running it.

(It states, on that page, "OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe: Download
this file if you do not have access to your installation source...")

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

AlanF

Re: Failed Update - SP3
Shenan,

This is the third time I have written this reply - each time when I try to
send it the message canot be posted. So, rather than type it all again, let
me be brief - your suggestion didn't work out. I downloaded the file you
mentioned, ran it and got the same message as before:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk
that is not available"

"Insert the Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage disk and click ok"

"Use source: Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage"

I knew full well clicking OK would not work, but I did it anyway (deep
breathing again!), this time the following message came up:

"The path Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage cannot be found.
verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find
the installation package PROPLUS.MSI in a folder from which you can install
the product Microsoft Office Professional with Frontpage"

I did a search, but yes, you've guessed it PROPLUS.MSI could not be found.

Answering your point about "Did you *not* get a way of restoring this system
from scratch when you purchased it....". In short, no! I had a complete hard
drive failure a few years ago, and had to have a new drive fitted, the people
that did it put XP Home Ed on for me.

Looking at the list of things that SP3 affects, I do have MS Word 2002 as
I've explained, but no other OFFICE product, such as Excel, Access or
Publisher etc.. The list only mentions FP2002, it says nothing about FP2003,
so apart from MS Word how much will this update benefit me anyway?

I am still doing my 'breathing' excercises - do you have any further
suggestions )

Regards,

AlanF

AlanF wrote:
> This is the third time I have written this reply - each time when I
> try to send it the message canot be posted. So, rather than type it
> all again, let me be brief - your suggestion didn't work out. I
> downloaded the file you mentioned, ran it and got the same message
> as before:
>
> "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other
> removable disk that is not available"
>
> "Insert the Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage disk
> and click ok"
>
> "Use source: Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage"
>
> I knew full well clicking OK would not work, but I did it anyway
> (deep breathing again!), this time the following message came up:
>
> "The path Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage cannot be
> found. verify that you have access to this location and try again,
> or try to find the installation package PROPLUS.MSI in a folder
> from which you can install the product Microsoft Office
> Professional with Frontpage"
>
> I did a search, but yes, you've guessed it PROPLUS.MSI could not be
> found.
>
> Answering your point about "Did you *not* get a way of restoring
> this system from scratch when you purchased it....". In short, no!
> I had a complete hard drive failure a few years ago, and had to
> have a new drive fitted, the people that did it put XP Home Ed on
> for me.
>
> Looking at the list of things that SP3 affects, I do have MS Word
> 2002 as I've explained, but no other OFFICE product, such as Excel,
> Access or Publisher etc.. The list only mentions FP2002, it says
> nothing about FP2003, so apart from MS Word how much will this
> update benefit me anyway?
>
> I am still doing my 'breathing' excercises - do you have any further
> suggestions )

The people who put Windows XP Home Edition on for you - I assume - also putr
Word 2002 (XP) on it?
to you. If they did not/do not - you can report them to a better business
bureau type organization and to Microsoft for pirating. If you have/had
Windows XP before - you have to have a way to restore it (provided by the
original manufacturer or those who last installed it.) If you have Office
XP (or even just a few components (like Word 2002 and Frontpage) installed -
you should have a way of restoring it.

Your only hope at this point is to find media to utilize to allow the
installation to continue. Friends, family etc...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP