xp sp2 update

andreaolarte33

xp sp2 update
I'm trying to dowlond and install the norton antivirus 2008 in my pc but is
not letting me it says i have to download the xp sp2 but is not downloading
it appears as an error... also none of the updates want to install
Shenan Stanley

Re: xp sp2 update
andreaolarte33 wrote:
> I'm trying to dowlond and install the norton antivirus 2008 in my
> pc but is not letting me it says i have to download the xp sp2 but
> is not downloading it appears as an error... also none of the
> updates want to install

Ignore the title:
Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Can't figure that out?

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Download/Install the 927891 patch.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-404327772E5A

- Reboot.

- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

- Come back and let us know how things went!

As far as SP2 itself - it was released back in 2004 - so I am surprised you
do not have it and how many more you may be missing post-sp2. SP3 is slated
for the first half of 2008 (release) - so SP2+~90 updates turns into just
SP3 then. hah However....

My general suggestion, before installing SP2, is to properly prepare the
machine.

- Backup your stuff...
- Uninstall any unused software from the Add or Remove Programs control
panel.
- Visit the manufacturer's web site for EACH of your hardware components and
download/install the latest hardware drivers. (Motherboard chipset, video
card, sound card, network card, etc.)
- Check for updates for each of the software packages you have installed and
install the updates if available.
- Using something like SuperAntiSpyware - do a thorough check for
spyware/adware.
- Using your UPDATED AntiVirus - do a thorough check for
viruses/trojans/worms.
- I like to run CCleaner and clear up all the temporary files and such
taking up space.
- CHKDSK the system drive (usually c:\.)
- DEFRAGment the system drive.
- Download the full SP2 installer (says for IT professionals - no biggie)
and utilize it to install SP2.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

antioch

Re: xp sp2 update

"andreaolarte33" <andreaolarte33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to dowlond and install the norton antivirus 2008 in my pc but
> is
> not letting me it says i have to download the xp sp2 but is not
> downloading
> it appears as an error... also none of the updates want to install

Just as addendum
If the Norton is not yet installed, I would leave it until you have
everything up to date - but then I would not put NAV on my computer.
There are good free AVs out there - research Google and in the
security.virus groups.
Once you have got SP2 ready to install either from saving to desktop or
burned to disc, plus the other 90-100 critical/security updates also saved,
make sure you are disconnected from the net, and ALL your security
AV/Antispy etc are disabled - NAV can play havoc with some updates.
If you get through all Shenan's set plan(yet to see better), please do let
us know.
The best of luck - take your time - don't rush this big job - with the 90
odd extras I would suggest 4/5 at a time - reboot after each one or set of
4/5.
I helped a neighbour do this earlier this year - it was a four hour job :-(

Antioch