> I'm trying to dowlond and install the norton antivirus 2008 in my
> pc but is not letting me it says i have to download the xp sp2 but
> is not downloading it appears as an error... also none of the
> updates want to install
Ignore the title:
Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
Can't figure that out?
Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.
Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".
Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.
- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)
- Download/Install the 927891 patch.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
and scan for/install updates.
- Come back and let us know how things went!
As far as SP2 itself - it was released back in 2004 - so I am surprised you
do not have it and how many more you may be missing post-sp2. SP3 is slated
for the first half of 2008 (release) - so SP2+~90 updates turns into just
SP3 then. hah However....
My general suggestion, before installing SP2, is to properly prepare the
- Backup your stuff...
- Uninstall any unused software from the Add or Remove Programs control
- Visit the manufacturer's web site for EACH of your hardware components and
download/install the latest hardware drivers. (Motherboard chipset, video
card, sound card, network card, etc.)
- Check for updates for each of the software packages you have installed and
install the updates if available.
- Using something like SuperAntiSpyware - do a thorough check for
- Using your UPDATED AntiVirus - do a thorough check for
- I like to run CCleaner and clear up all the temporary files and such
taking up space.
- CHKDSK the system drive (usually c:\.)
- DEFRAGment the system drive.
- Download the full SP2 installer (says for IT professionals - no biggie)
and utilize it to install SP2.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way