A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error

BoriaK

A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error
I have a problem with a function Microsoft Update - every time when I try to
use it an error 80072EE7 appears. I checked this forum and I tried to use
some advices as:

- switch off the sw firewalls,
- switch off antispy software,
- checked the file Hosts if there isn't any static IP address,
- cancel all additional toolbars from my IE 7.0,

but nothing has changed.

Can you help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error
It is an 'emerging issue'. Been trying to get to the bottom of this
since for over a week now.

What is the setting for the Automatic Updates applet in Control Panel ?

Thanks for posting the info that this occurs with IE7 ... is KB942615
installed and did the issue appear after it's installation ?

Is this Vista or XP SP2 ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BoriaK wrote:

> I have a problem with a function Microsoft Update - every time when I try to
> use it an error 80072EE7 appears. I checked this forum and I tried to use
> some advices as:
>
> - switch off the sw firewalls,
> - switch off antispy software,
> - checked the file Hosts if there isn't any static IP address,
> - cancel all additional toolbars from my IE 7.0,
>
> but nothing has changed.
>
> Can you help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

BoriaK

Re: A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error
Hi,

here are the answers to your questions:

- I'm using OS XP SP2,
- I' have been using IE7.0 since january this year, but this problem has
apperead only apx. a month ago,
- I don't give you an answer to your question about the setting the
Automatic updates applet ...

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> It is an 'emerging issue'. Been trying to get to the bottom of this
> since for over a week now.
>
> What is the setting for the Automatic Updates applet in Control Panel ?
>
> Thanks for posting the info that this occurs with IE7 ... is KB942615
> installed and did the issue appear after it's installation ?
>
> Is this Vista or XP SP2 ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> BoriaK wrote:
>
> > I have a problem with a function Microsoft Update - every time when I try to
> > use it an error 80072EE7 appears. I checked this forum and I tried to use
> > some advices as:
> >
> > - switch off the sw firewalls,
> > - switch off antispy software,
> > - checked the file Hosts if there isn't any static IP address,
> > - cancel all additional toolbars from my IE 7.0,
> >
> > but nothing has changed.
> >
> > Can you help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

HarryW

RE: A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error
Same hear in Holland. Since this week having exactly the same problem.
Done all Boriak Did+Disabeld WFireWall/Norton firewall/DSL Internal Firewall.
Usually all these settings are standard on; but trying to get through the
updater I switched them off. No results though. Also here WXP-SP2
5.1.2600-build 2600, IE7.0.5730.11. Standard AutoUpdate set to dayly, 17.00h
Seems to be out of the personal eviroment?

"BoriaK" wrote:

> I have a problem with a function Microsoft Update - every time when I try to
> use it an error 80072EE7 appears. I checked this forum and I tried to use
> some advices as:
>
> - switch off the sw firewalls,
> - switch off antispy software,
> - checked the file Hosts if there isn't any static IP address,
> - cancel all additional toolbars from my IE 7.0,
>
> but nothing has changed.
>
> Can you help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error
>> is KB942615 installed and did the issue appear after it's installation ?

Open the Control Panel.
Open Add/Remove Programs
Make sure the show updates box is checked at the top
Is KB042615 installed /

In the Control Panel is the Automatic Updates applet.
Open it.
Which option is Automatic Updates set to ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

HarryW wrote:

> Same hear in Holland. Since this week having exactly the same problem.
> Done all Boriak Did+Disabeld WFireWall/Norton firewall/DSL Internal Firewall.
> Usually all these settings are standard on; but trying to get through the
> updater I switched them off. No results though. Also here WXP-SP2
> 5.1.2600-build 2600, IE7.0.5730.11. Standard AutoUpdate set to dayly, 17.00h
> Seems to be out of the personal eviroment?

Not sure yet, Harry. Is KB942615 installed ? Check in Add/Remove
Programs in Control Panel. It will be at the bottom of the list.

Check the Automatic Updates applet while in the Control Panel and please
post back with the option it is set to.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
PA Bear

Re: A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error
[Nice typo!]

BoriaK, is "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB946215)"
listed in Add/Remove Programs?
--
~BroRo

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
>>> is KB942615 installed and did the issue appear after it's installation ?

> Open the Control Panel.
> Open Add/Remove Programs
> Make sure the show updates box is checked at the top
> Is KB042615 installed /
>
> In the Control Panel is the Automatic Updates applet.
> Open it.
> Which option is Automatic Updates set to ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> BoriaK wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> here are the answers to your questions:
>>
>> - I'm using OS XP SP2,
>> - I' have been using IE7.0 since january this year, but this problem has
>> apperead only apx. a month ago,
>> - I don't give you an answer to your question about the setting the
>> Automatic updates applet ...
>>

>> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>>

>>> It is an 'emerging issue'. Been trying to get to the bottom of this
>>> since for over a week now.
>>>
>>> What is the setting for the Automatic Updates applet in Control Panel ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for posting the info that this occurs with IE7 ... is KB942615
>>> installed and did the issue appear after it's installation ?
>>>
>>> Is this Vista or XP SP2 ?
>>>

>>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>> ===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>> Never Forgotten
>>> ===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error
NOT KB0 ... it's KB942615. Sorry about the mis-type.

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

>>> is KB942615 installed and did the issue appear after it's installation ?

> Open the Control Panel.
> Open Add/Remove Programs
> Make sure the show updates box is checked at the top
> Is KB042615 installed /
>
> In the Control Panel is the Automatic Updates applet.
> Open it.
> Which option is Automatic Updates set to ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> BoriaK wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> here are the answers to your questions:
>>
>> - I'm using OS XP SP2,
>> - I' have been using IE7.0 since january this year, but this problem
>> has apperead only apx. a month ago,
>> - I don't give you an answer to your question about the setting the
>> Automatic updates applet ...
>>

>> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>>

>>> It is an 'emerging issue'. Been trying to get to the bottom of this
>>> since for over a week now.
>>>
>>> What is the setting for the Automatic Updates applet in Control Panel ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for posting the info that this occurs with IE7 ... is KB942615
>>> installed and did the issue appear after it's installation ?
>>>
>>> Is this Vista or XP SP2 ?
>>>

>>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>> ===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>> Never Forgotten
>>> ===============

BoriaK

Re: A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error
Hi,

thank you for your answers and navigation. Here are the answers to your
questions:

At first
I checked the updates and I found out that my last Security update for WIN
XP is KB923789.

At second
I'm using manual updates.

Any other suggetion, what should I do?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> >> is KB942615 installed and did the issue appear after it's installation ?

> Open the Control Panel.
> Open Add/Remove Programs
> Make sure the show updates box is checked at the top
> Is KB042615 installed /
>
> In the Control Panel is the Automatic Updates applet.
> Open it.
> Which option is Automatic Updates set to ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> BoriaK wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > here are the answers to your questions:
> >
> > - I'm using OS XP SP2,
> > - I' have been using IE7.0 since january this year, but this problem has
> > apperead only apx. a month ago,
> > - I don't give you an answer to your question about the setting the
> > Automatic updates applet ...
> >

> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>It is an 'emerging issue'. Been trying to get to the bottom of this
> >>since for over a week now.
> >>
> >>What is the setting for the Automatic Updates applet in Control Panel ?
> >>
> >>Thanks for posting the info that this occurs with IE7 ... is KB942615
> >>installed and did the issue appear after it's installation ?
> >>
> >>Is this Vista or XP SP2 ?
> >>

> >>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============

tonyrecks

RE: A problem with a function Microsoft Update - an error
BoriaK,
I have been desperately trying to figure this out all week and spent most of
my week long vacation trying all the things mentioned such as host files, add
to trusted sites, turn off this and that, etc. etc., all to no avail.

The reason is I did not have my auto update on and have not done any
security updates in 4-6 mos. All of a sudden, I was getting attacked by some
horrible Malware/fake spyware that no matter how many times I deleted it with
the Spyware program, it would be back through the IE browser in a few hours
apparently through some security hole that needed updating.
Ok,
1) I googled [Error number: 0x80072EE7]
2) Someone recommended a freeware called "fixwareout" that I DL'd and ran
(It prompts you to reboot at end).
3) After the first run, I got past the error message to the "Express" button
on the MS Update site, but after pressing it, the "Green Bar" went from Left
to Right for seemingly eternity.
4) I re-ran the Fixwareout 3-4 more times. I recall the last time I disabled
my anti-V program "Bitdefender" and low and behold, when I went to the update
site and hit the "Express" button, the updates appeared!
5) I was able to DL them and those peskly malware's have not returned in
about 6-8 hrs now. Hope I have seen the last of them for now.
Let me know if this works,
Good luck!