Code 641 and Windows Installer

Gemma

Code 641 and Windows Installer
Heya.
Im have been trying to download iTunes for a while now. When i get to a
certain stage it says "Windows Installer cant be accessed". Also when i try
to install some updates it wont download, just says, "Error code: code 641"
Does anyone know how i can over come my problem??

--
Thanks.
Gem xx
PA Bear

Re: Code 641 and Windows Installer
Windows version? What updates?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Gemma wrote:
> Heya.
> Im have been trying to download iTunes for a while now. When i get to a
> certain stage it says "Windows Installer cant be accessed". Also when i
> try
> to install some updates it wont download, just says, "Error code: code
> 641"
> Does anyone know how i can over come my problem??

Gemma

Re: Code 641 and Windows Installer
Vista Home Basic. Update: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0
Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

Can you help??
--
Thanks.
Gem xx

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Windows version? What updates?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Gemma wrote:
> > Heya.
> > Im have been trying to download iTunes for a while now. When i get to a
> > certain stage it says "Windows Installer cant be accessed". Also when i
> > try
> > to install some updates it wont download, just says, "Error code: code
> > 641"
> > Does anyone know how i can over come my problem??

PA Bear

Re: Code 641 and Windows Installer
Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s).

1. Can you install it manually? Save the download to your desktop then
double-click on it to install:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-66380a5cc117

2. If no joy, see the Known Issues and "More information about..." sections
of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

As suggested on the above page:

> WORKAROUND
> Method 1
> Use Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.0 instead of MSXML 4.0.

3. Or...

Start > Run > copy and paste the below into the Open: line

%windir%\msxml4-KB936181-enu.LOG

Click OK or press Enter

Please post the msxml4-KB936181-enu.LOG in a reply to this thread.

4. Or simply cut to the chase and...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Gemma wrote:
> Vista Home Basic. Update: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services
> 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
>
>> Windows version? What updates?
>> --
>> Gemma wrote:
>>> Heya.
>>> Im have been trying to download iTunes for a while now. When i get to a
>>> certain stage it says "Windows Installer cant be accessed". Also when i
>>> try
>>> to install some updates it wont download, just says, "Error code: code
>>> 641"
>>> Does anyone know how i can over come my problem??

Robert Aldwinckle

"Gemma" <Gemma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Heya.
> Im have been trying to download iTunes for a while now. When i get to a
> certain stage it says "Windows Installer cant be accessed". Also when i try
> to install some updates it wont download, just says, "Error code: code 641"

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
F:\>set /a c = 0x641
1601
F:\>net helpmsg %c%

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode,
or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.
Contact your support personnel for assistance.
</cmd_output>

> Does anyone know how i can over come my problem??

Try downloading the equivalent update and installing it manually?

> --
> Thanks.
> Gem xx

Good luck