Receiving Error Code 0x8020000E

christopher.hogg@gmail.com

Receiving Error Code 0x8020000E
I am trying to fix an issue we're having with a computer being setup
as a base for our new corporate image, however we cannot get Windows
Update working on this machine now at all!

Either via WSUS or Windows Update both automatic update and off of the
website we are receiving messages saying the install of any updates
has failed.

After trying things suggested elsewhere like stopping services (de-
registering DLL's) renaming / removing the SoftwareDistribution folder
and starting the services again, updates are still failing!

Any ideas what could be causing this and how it could be fixed?
TaurArian

Re: Receiving Error Code 0x8020000E
Error 0x8020000E is: BG_E_VOLUME_CHANGED

"The destination volume has changed. If the disk is removable, it might have been replaced
with a different disk. Reinsert the original disk and resume the job."

Usually happens after a partition has been changed, resized, cloned, etc

Sometimes flushing the SoftwareDistribution folder fixes this error.

By renaming/deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder you will lose your WU History listing
(not important). If everything is working okay again you can delete the renamed
SoftwareDistribution folder.

Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click Start, Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click Start. Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

<christopher.hogg@gmail.com> wrote in message
|I am trying to fix an issue we're having with a computer being setup
| as a base for our new corporate image, however we cannot get Windows
| Update working on this machine now at all!
|
| Either via WSUS or Windows Update both automatic update and off of the
| website we are receiving messages saying the install of any updates
| has failed.
|
| After trying things suggested elsewhere like stopping services (de-
| registering DLL's) renaming / removing the SoftwareDistribution folder
| and starting the services again, updates are still failing!
|
| Any ideas what could be causing this and how it could be fixed?

Christopher Hogg

On Dec 28, 9:46 am, "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVEC...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Error 0x8020000E is: BG_E_VOLUME_CHANGED
>
> "The destination volume has changed. If the disk is removable, it might have been replaced
> with a different disk. Reinsert the original disk and resume the job."
>
> Usually happens after a partition has been changed, resized, cloned, etc
>
> Sometimes flushing the SoftwareDistribution folder fixes this error.
>
> By renaming/deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder you will lose your WU History listing
> (not important). If everything is working okay again you can delete the renamed
> SoftwareDistribution folder.
>
> Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder
>
> Click Start, Choose Run.
> In the Run box, type services.msc.
> Click OK.
> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> Click Stop.
> Stopping the service will take a moment.
>
> Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
> a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
> b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
> c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.
>
> Click Start. Choose Run.
> In the Run box, type services.msc.
> Click OK.
> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> Click Start.
> Starting the service will take a moment.
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> How to ask a question:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/5553....org/index.htm
>
> <christopher.h...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> |I am trying to fix an issue we're having with a computer being setup
> | as a base for our new corporate image, however we cannot get Windows
> | Update working on this machine now at all!
> |
> | Either via WSUS or Windows Update both automatic update and off of the
> | website we are receiving messages saying the install of any updates
> | has failed.
> |
> | After trying things suggested elsewhere like stopping services (de-
> | registering DLL's) renaming / removing the SoftwareDistribution folder
> | and starting the services again, updates are still failing!
> |
> | Any ideas what could be causing this and how it could be fixed?

As stated in my post, i have already tried this many times and am
still not getting anything install

"Christopher Hogg" <christopher.hogg@gmail.com> wrote in message
| On Dec 28, 9:46 am, "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVEC...@gmail.com> wrote:
| > Error 0x8020000E is: BG_E_VOLUME_CHANGED
| >
| > "The destination volume has changed. If the disk is removable, it might have been
replaced
| > with a different disk. Reinsert the original disk and resume the job."
| >
| > Usually happens after a partition has been changed, resized, cloned, etc
| >
| > Sometimes flushing the SoftwareDistribution folder fixes this error.
| >
| > By renaming/deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder you will lose your WU History
listing
| > (not important). If everything is working okay again you can delete the renamed
| > SoftwareDistribution folder.
| >
| > Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder
| >
| > Click Start, Choose Run.
| > In the Run box, type services.msc.
| > Click OK.
| > Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
| > Click Stop.
| > Stopping the service will take a moment.
| >
| > Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
| > a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
| > b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
| > c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.
| >
| > Click Start. Choose Run.
| > In the Run box, type services.msc.
| > Click OK.
| > Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
| > Click Start.
| > Starting the service will take a moment.
| >
| > --
| > ====================================
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
| > ====================================
| > How to ask a
question:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/5553....org/index.htm
| > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
| >
| > <christopher.h...@gmail.com> wrote in message

| > |I am trying to fix an issue we're having with a computer being setup
| > | as a base for our new corporate image, however we cannot get Windows
| > | Update working on this machine now at all!
| > |
| > | Either via WSUS or Windows Update both automatic update and off of the
| > | website we are receiving messages saying the install of any updates
| > | has failed.
| > |
| > | After trying things suggested elsewhere like stopping services (de-
| > | registering DLL's) renaming / removing the SoftwareDistribution folder
| > | and starting the services again, updates are still failing!
| > |
| > | Any ideas what could be causing this and how it could be fixed?
|

| As stated in my post, i have already tried this many times and am
| still not getting anything install

Perhaps you need to reboot after renaming/flushing the SD folder and then redownload the
WU agent -
"ignore the title" - Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

There are no guarantees the solutions that work for others will also work for you.

Christopher Hogg

Re: Receiving Error Code 0x8020000E
On Dec 28, 10:14 am, "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVEC...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Christopher Hogg" <christopher.h...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> | On Dec 28, 9:46 am, "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVEC...@gmail.com> wrote:
> | > Error 0x8020000E is: BG_E_VOLUME_CHANGED
> | >
> | > "The destination volume has changed. If the disk is removable, it might have been
> replaced
> | > with a different disk. Reinsert the original disk and resume the job."
> | >
> | > Usually happens after a partition has been changed, resized, cloned, etc
> | >
> | > Sometimes flushing the SoftwareDistribution folder fixes this error.
> | >
> | > By renaming/deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder you will lose your WU History
> listing
> | > (not important). If everything is working okay again you can delete the renamed
> | > SoftwareDistribution folder.
> | >
> | > Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder
> | >
> | > Click Start, Choose Run.
> | > In the Run box, type services.msc.
> | > Click OK.
> | > Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> | > Click Stop.
> | > Stopping the service will take a moment.
> | >
> | > Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
> | > a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
> | > b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
> | > c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.
> | >
> | > Click Start. Choose Run.
> | > In the Run box, type services.msc.
> | > Click OK.
> | > Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> | > Click Start.
> | > Starting the service will take a moment.
> | >
> | > --
> | > ====================================
> | > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> | > ====================================
> | > How to ask a
> question:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/5553...mvps.org/index...
> | > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | As stated in my post, i have already tried this many times and am
> | still not getting anything install
>
> Perhaps you need to reboot after renaming/flushing the SD folder and then redownload the
> WU agent -
> "ignore the title" - Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
> Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installationhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> There are no guarantees the solutions that work for others will also work for you.

Ahhh legend! Had forgot all about the repair install we did on the
machine! Well done man )
Billy Sherlock

Re: Receiving Error Code 0x8020000E
You have no idea how thankful i am for this post.... i have 4-5 hrs trying
to get the updates to work... it was the repair that did it... posting the
very last MS article worked for me... i was just about to give up.... so
thankful ....