Failure to install KB928366 since July

Trevor

Failure to install KB928366 since July
Since July, this fix has downloaded with every windows automatic update and
claimed to be successfully installed, but has not been installed (otherwise
why would it download each time?). I have downloaded the fix directly from
the Windows website. When I execute it, something runs for about 10 seconds
(mouse icon turns to hourglass) and then it just stops. No messages on the
screen, no errors in the eventvwr, nothing. Any ideas?
PA Bear

Re: Failure to install KB928366 since July
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Trevor wrote:
> Since July, this fix has downloaded with every windows automatic update
> and
> claimed to be successfully installed, but has not been installed
> (otherwise
> why would it download each time?). I have downloaded the fix directly
> from
> the Windows website. When I execute it, something runs for about 10
> seconds
> (mouse icon turns to hourglass) and then it just stops. No messages on
> the
> screen, no errors in the eventvwr, nothing. Any ideas?

Trevor

Re: Failure to install KB928366 since July
Thanks for the help, but it did not work since I cannot remove the existing
..Net components.

I have two .Net installed items:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)

When I click on the change/remove button for either one in the settings/add
remove programs window, I get the following message and no subsequent action:
"The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the
source exists and you can access it."

Any ideas?

"PA Bear" wrote:

> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Trevor wrote:
> > Since July, this fix has downloaded with every windows automatic update
> > and
> > claimed to be successfully installed, but has not been installed
> > (otherwise
> > why would it download each time?). I have downloaded the fix directly
> > from
> > the Windows website. When I execute it, something runs for about 10
> > seconds
> > (mouse icon turns to hourglass) and then it just stops. No messages on
> > the
> > screen, no errors in the eventvwr, nothing. Any ideas?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Failure to install KB928366 since July
1) Show hidden files, folders, and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

2) Open Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
Is ' Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366) listed ?
If yes, then click the Change/Remove button and choose to Remove it.
If no, then read on

3) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the WINDOWS directory [folder]
Is there a $NtUninstallKB886903$ folder present ?
If yes, open it, then open the spuninst subfolder
CLOSE all browser instances and any open programs
Now run spuninst.exe
If no or it will not uninstall, then read on

3) Is .NET Framework 1.1 listed in Add/Remove Programs ?
If yes, then download .NET Framework 1.1 and SAVE it:
Create a folder on the root drive [where WINDOWS is installed to,
usually C:\] and name it dotnet
Move dotnetfx.exe to the dotnet folder

*TEMPORARILY disable the installed antivirus software *
If doing so makes you uncomfortable while still connected to the
net/network, than disconnect the system for now.

Open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in cmd
Click OK or press Enter

At the prompt, type this in or, copy and then paste it by right clicking
after the last entry of the prompt and choosing Paste

C:\dotnet\dotnetfx.exe /t:%temp% /c:"msiexec.exe /fvecms %temp%\netfx.msi"

Press Enter
That *should* repair the original installation of .NET Framework 1.1
Type exit , press Enter to close the Command Prompt
Follow any prompt you received, such as restarting the system

*REENABLE the installed AV prior to reconnecting to the net/network*

4) If that didn't repair the .NET Framework, the please see this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...10/502439.aspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Trevor wrote:

> Thanks for the help, but it did not work since I cannot remove the existing
> .Net components.
>
> I have two .Net installed items:
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
>
> When I click on the change/remove button for either one in the settings/add
> remove programs window, I get the following message and no subsequent action:
> "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the
> source exists and you can access it."
>
> Any ideas?
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>

>>See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
>>--
>>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
>>AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>>Trevor wrote:
>>
>>>Since July, this fix has downloaded with every windows automatic update
>>>and
>>>claimed to be successfully installed, but has not been installed
>>>(otherwise
>>>why would it download each time?). I have downloaded the fix directly
>>>from
>>>the Windows website. When I execute it, something runs for about 10
>>>seconds
>>>(mouse icon turns to hourglass) and then it just stops. No messages on
>>>the
>>>screen, no errors in the eventvwr, nothing. Any ideas?

PA Bear

Re: Failure to install KB928366 since July
Use the .NET Framework cleanup tool cited here instead:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...08/406671.aspx

Trevor wrote:
> Thanks for the help, but it did not work since I cannot remove the
> existing
> .Net components.
>
> I have two .Net installed items:
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
>
> When I click on the change/remove button for either one in the
> settings/add
> remove programs window, I get the following message and no subsequent
> action: "The installation source for this product is not available.
> Verify
> that the source exists and you can access it."
>
> Any ideas?
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Trevor wrote:
>>> Since July, this fix has downloaded with every windows automatic update
>>> and
>>> claimed to be successfully installed, but has not been installed
>>> (otherwise
>>> why would it download each time?). I have downloaded the fix directly
>>> from
>>> the Windows website. When I execute it, something runs for about 10
>>> seconds
>>> (mouse icon turns to hourglass) and then it just stops. No messages on
>>> the
>>> screen, no errors in the eventvwr, nothing. Any ideas?

Trevor

Re: Failure to install KB928366 since July
Thank you for the response, but there are still problems.

I did not have an uninstall folder, so I downloaded what you suggested and
ran it. It seemed to run fine for a second, asking me if I wanted to install
the .Net framework. When I hit yes, it seemed to start unpacking some files,
then the same error window came up as I mentioned in my last note:

"The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the
source exists and you can access it."

In reading the blog you recommend, he seems to be responding to a different
problem. Please let me know if you think I should follow the steps he
suggests.

Thanks,
Trevor

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 1) Show hidden files, folders, and system files:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>
> 2) Open Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
> Is ' Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366) listed ?
> If yes, then click the Change/Remove button and choose to Remove it.
> If no, then read on
>
> 3) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the WINDOWS directory [folder]
> Is there a $NtUninstallKB886903$ folder present ?
> If yes, open it, then open the spuninst subfolder
> CLOSE all browser instances and any open programs
> Now run spuninst.exe
> If no or it will not uninstall, then read on
>
> 3) Is .NET Framework 1.1 listed in Add/Remove Programs ?
> If yes, then download .NET Framework 1.1 and SAVE it:
> Create a folder on the root drive [where WINDOWS is installed to,
> usually C:\] and name it dotnet
> Move dotnetfx.exe to the dotnet folder
>
> *TEMPORARILY disable the installed antivirus software *
> If doing so makes you uncomfortable while still connected to the
> net/network, than disconnect the system for now.
>
> Open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in cmd
> Click OK or press Enter
>
> At the prompt, type this in or, copy and then paste it by right clicking
> after the last entry of the prompt and choosing Paste
>
> C:\dotnet\dotnetfx.exe /t:%temp% /c:"msiexec.exe /fvecms %temp%\netfx.msi"
>
> Press Enter
> That *should* repair the original installation of .NET Framework 1.1
> Type exit , press Enter to close the Command Prompt
> Follow any prompt you received, such as restarting the system
>
> *REENABLE the installed AV prior to reconnecting to the net/network*
>
> 4) If that didn't repair the .NET Framework, the please see this:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...10/502439.aspx
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Trevor wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the help, but it did not work since I cannot remove the existing
> > .Net components.
> >
> > I have two .Net installed items:
> > Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
> > Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
> >
> > When I click on the change/remove button for either one in the settings/add
> > remove programs window, I get the following message and no subsequent action:
> > "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the
> > source exists and you can access it."
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >

> >>See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
> >>--
> >>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >>MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> >>AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> >>DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Failure to install KB928366 since July
1) Did you ?
Show hidden files, folders, and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
2) Open Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
Is ' Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366) listed ?

3) Is .NET Framework 1.1 listed in Add/Remove Programs ?

4)Did you create a folder on C:\ and name it dotnet ?
Did you temp disable the installed AV ?

IF you just downloaded .NET Framework 1.1 and attempted to install it
IT WILL NEVER INSTALL. Either follow what I posted or download the
removal tool as posted by myself and PABear:

> Use the .NET Framework cleanup tool cited here instead:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...08/406671.aspx

>> In reading the blog you recommend, he seems to be responding to a different
>> problem.

Doesn't matter, you need to remove ALL traces of the corrupted/damaged
..NET Framework 1.1 before doing ANYTHING else. Or, follow EXACTLY what
I'd posted previously and attempt to REPAIR it.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten