automatic update prompt for installation

sjcinnamond

automatic update prompt for installation
I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 with all critical updates installed
via Microsoft Update. I use an Administrator account and have Automatic
Updates set to "automatic" to download and install the recommended updates.
Recently when I powered on and there was the "updates ready to install"
notification in the tray for a patch to MS07-069.

If this patch was a critical update whey did I receive this prompt when I
have AU set to automatically download and install the update? It did not
require an OK on a EULA.

Any ideas?
PA Bear

Re: automatic update prompt for installation
Is AU configured to download/install updates at 3:00 AM? Was the computer
running at 3:00 AM?

MS07-069 was released 16 days ago: Any idea why it hadn't been installed
until now (e.g., you were away and the computer was turned off)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

sjcinnamond wrote:
> I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 with all critical updates installed
> via Microsoft Update. I use an Administrator account and have Automatic
> Updates set to "automatic" to download and install the recommended
> updates.
> Recently when I powered on and there was the "updates ready to install"
> notification in the tray for a patch to MS07-069.
>
> If this patch was a critical update whey did I receive this prompt when I
> have AU set to automatically download and install the update? It did not
> require an OK on a EULA.
>
> Any ideas?

sjcinnamond

Re: automatic update prompt for installation
You are right--AU is for 3AM and the computer was off until the time that I
got the notification in the tray.

I used to set the AU time to a known time when the computer(s) would be on
(I manage several computers) but I often found that the time would not "keep"
and it seemed to reset to 3AM so I gave up setting it. Is there any way to
ensure that the time that I choose will remain?

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Is AU configured to download/install updates at 3:00 AM? Was the computer
> running at 3:00 AM?
>
> MS07-069 was released 16 days ago: Any idea why it hadn't been installed
> until now (e.g., you were away and the computer was turned off)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> sjcinnamond wrote:
> > I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 with all critical updates installed
> > via Microsoft Update. I use an Administrator account and have Automatic
> > Updates set to "automatic" to download and install the recommended
> > updates.
> > Recently when I powered on and there was the "updates ready to install"
> > notification in the tray for a patch to MS07-069.
> >
> > If this patch was a critical update whey did I receive this prompt when I
> > have AU set to automatically download and install the update? It did not
> > require an OK on a EULA.
> >
> > Any ideas?

PA Bear

Re: automatic update prompt for installation
Several things might have reset the time to the 3:00 AM default. These
include making Microsoft Update your default update source and installing
OneCare.

I would recommend that you choose the "Notify Only" option for Automatic
Updates. That way, no updates are downloaded /or/ installed without your
approval.

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

sjcinnamond wrote:
> You are right--AU is for 3AM and the computer was off until the time that
> got the notification in the tray.
>
> I used to set the AU time to a known time when the computer(s) would be on
> (I manage several computers) but I often found that the time would not
> "keep" and it seemed to reset to 3AM so I gave up setting it. Is there
> any
> way to ensure that the time that I choose will remain?
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> Is AU configured to download/install updates at 3:00 AM? Was the
>> computer
>> running at 3:00 AM?
>>
>> MS07-069 was released 16 days ago: Any idea why it hadn't been installed
>> until now (e.g., you were away and the computer was turned off)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> sjcinnamond wrote:
>>> I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 with all critical updates
>>> installed
>>> via Microsoft Update. I use an Administrator account and have Automatic
>>> Updates set to "automatic" to download and install the recommended
>>> updates.
>>> Recently when I powered on and there was the "updates ready to install"
>>> notification in the tray for a patch to MS07-069.
>>>
>>> If this patch was a critical update whey did I receive this prompt when
>>> have AU set to automatically download and install the update? It did
>>> not
>>> require an OK on a EULA.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

sjcinnamond

Re: automatic update prompt for installation
In the environment in which I work we do not have OneCare installed on any
workstation. (The current environment is in a small private school with a
desktop "server" to which workstations are mapped and I'm the onsite
technician who manages everything.)

We'll soon be migrating to Server 2003 via an outside vendor. This outside
adviser will manage the server as "notify only" but he advised me to set all
of the workstations to automatic because it would be impractical for me to go
to each one to do the installations each month. I guess that it's a moot
issue since the computers are not on all night and I'll have to visit any of
them that reset to 3AM anyway.

Is there any registry modification to prevent the time from being reset by
Microsoft Update once a user has chosen the best time?