Trouble installing service pack 2

WinterGR

Trouble installing service pack 2
While trying to install service pack 2, I am receiving an error message
saying that the file c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe is either open or in use by
another program, but I do not actually have anything else open. I've
disabled my anti virus software, too. Any ideas on what is wrong with this
file?
TaurArian

Re: Trouble installing service pack 2
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver
http://winhlp.com/node/125

<snip>

Clean boot

If the installer keeps complaining about files in use or mysterious access problems, try
the following two approaches.

Try to install Service Pack 2 in safe mode.
Try to install Service Pack 2 after a clean boot.

The information on clean booting is contained in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
article.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/

<snip>

====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"WinterGR" <WinterGR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| While trying to install service pack 2, I am receiving an error message
| saying that the file c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe is either open or in use by
| another program, but I do not actually have anything else open. I've
| disabled my anti virus software, too. Any ideas on what is wrong with this
| file?

please help me to update windowns

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver
> http://winhlp.com/node/125
>
> <snip>
>
> Clean boot
>
> If the installer keeps complaining about files in use or mysterious access problems, try
> the following two approaches.
>
> Try to install Service Pack 2 in safe mode.
> Try to install Service Pack 2 after a clean boot.
>
> The information on clean booting is contained in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
> article.
>
> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/
>
> <snip>
>
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "WinterGR" <WinterGR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | While trying to install service pack 2, I am receiving an error message
> | saying that the file c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe is either open or in use by
> | another program, but I do not actually have anything else open. I've
> | disabled my anti virus software, too. Any ideas on what is wrong with this
> | file?

PA Bear

Re: Trouble installing service pack 2
[QED: Why are so many users only attempting to install SP2 now, 3 years and
4 months after it's release?]

WinterGR wrote:
> While trying to install service pack 2, I am receiving an error message
> saying that the file c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe is either open or in use
> by
> another program, but I do not actually have anything else open. I've
> disabled my anti virus software, too. Any ideas on what is wrong with
> this
> file?

WinterGR

Re: Trouble installing service pack 2
I am now trying to install it in order to use an Ipod with my computer. Any
better suggestions that will enable me to load music from Itunes to my Ipod?

"PA Bear" wrote:

> [QED: Why are so many users only attempting to install SP2 now, 3 years and
> 4 months after it's release?]
>
> WinterGR wrote:
> > While trying to install service pack 2, I am receiving an error message
> > saying that the file c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe is either open or in use
> > by
> > another program, but I do not actually have anything else open. I've
> > disabled my anti virus software, too. Any ideas on what is wrong with
> > this
> > file?

WinterGR

Re: Trouble installing service pack 2
I've tried the installation in safe mode and am still having the same problem.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver
> http://winhlp.com/node/125
>
> <snip>
>
> Clean boot
>
> If the installer keeps complaining about files in use or mysterious access problems, try
> the following two approaches.
>
> Try to install Service Pack 2 in safe mode.
> Try to install Service Pack 2 after a clean boot.
>
> The information on clean booting is contained in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
> article.
>
> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/
>
> <snip>
>
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "WinterGR" <WinterGR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | While trying to install service pack 2, I am receiving an error message
> | saying that the file c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe is either open or in use by
> | another program, but I do not actually have anything else open. I've
> | disabled my anti virus software, too. Any ideas on what is wrong with this
> | file?

PA Bear

Re: Trouble installing service pack 2
Mine was a rhetorical question, WinterGR. Good luck.

WinterGR wrote:
> I am now trying to install it in order to use an Ipod with my computer.
> Any
> better suggestions that will enable me to load music from Itunes to my
> Ipod?
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>> [QED: Why are so many users only attempting to install SP2 now, 3 years
>> and
>> 4 months after it's release?]
>>
>> WinterGR wrote:
>>> While trying to install service pack 2, I am receiving an error message
>>> saying that the file c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe is either open or in
>>> use
>>> by
>>> another program, but I do not actually have anything else open. I've
>>> disabled my anti virus software, too. Any ideas on what is wrong with
>>> this file?

Fuzzman

"PA Bear" wrote:

> [QED: Why are so many users only attempting to install SP2 now, 3 years and
> 4 months after it's release?]
>
> probably because they are reinstalling windows from a service pack 1 disk!

MowGreen [MVP]

Fuzzman wrote:

> "PA Bear" wrote:
>

>>[QED: Why are so many users only attempting to install SP2 now, 3 years and
>>4 months after it's release?]
>>
>>probably because they are reinstalling windows from a service pack 1 disk!

So why not install SP3 and then the system will be up to date with
almost ALL of the Security updates issued since SP2 came out ?
SP1 qualifies as one of the instances of XP that SP3 will install to.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten