KB924615 causes IE6 to crash

kkat

KB924615 causes IE6 to crash
Is there a fix yet for the IE6 crash issue caused by KB924615? It appears
that the patch is automatically included in the SP3 RC, and cannot be
removed. Any idea whether a fix for the KB924615 URLMON.dll issue will be
published by the time SP3 is final-released, or will we have to forego
installation of the service pack? Upgrading to IE7 is currently not an
option.

Alternatively, is there a workaround for the patch that actually works,
other than uninstalling it? We need something that could be quickly
implemented, and distributed centrally to hundreds of machines.

I've seen this patch pop up on numerous other forums, so much so that it
made the tech headlines on Google news and PC World, so I know we're not the
only ones who have seen the issue...

Thank you!
Susan Bradley

Re: KB924615 causes IE6 to crash
kkat wrote:
> Is there a fix yet for the IE6 crash issue caused by KB924615? It appears
> that the patch is automatically included in the SP3 RC, and cannot be
> removed. Any idea whether a fix for the KB924615 URLMON.dll issue will be
> published by the time SP3 is final-released, or will we have to forego
> installation of the service pack? Upgrading to IE7 is currently not an
> option.
>
> Alternatively, is there a workaround for the patch that actually works,
> other than uninstalling it? We need something that could be quickly
> implemented, and distributed centrally to hundreds of machines.
>
> I've seen this patch pop up on numerous other forums, so much so that it
> made the tech headlines on Google news and PC World, so I know we're not the
> only ones who have seen the issue...
>
> Thank you!

1. XP sp3 is a beta.
2. XP sp3 should be putting you back on the GDR bits and thus should
not cause this crash
3. Yes there is a fix out now and it's on Microsoft update.
kkat

Re: KB924615 causes IE6 to crash
Thank you!

As you noted, it appears that 946627 fixes the issue (for 942615 which I
miskeyed in the original post). We will test this asap. Looks like I should
have checked back there one more time before I posted in the forums.

As a side note, the sp3 beta (thanks for the clarification) that we tried
caused the same urlmon.dll issue. I thought the same thing as you mentioned,
but was surprised when we got the failure results on our test platforms.

"Susan Bradley" wrote:

> kkat wrote:
> > Is there a fix yet for the IE6 crash issue caused by KB924615? It appears
> > that the patch is automatically included in the SP3 RC, and cannot be
> > removed. Any idea whether a fix for the KB924615 URLMON.dll issue will be
> > published by the time SP3 is final-released, or will we have to forego
> > installation of the service pack? Upgrading to IE7 is currently not an
> > option.
> >
> > Alternatively, is there a workaround for the patch that actually works,
> > other than uninstalling it? We need something that could be quickly
> > implemented, and distributed centrally to hundreds of machines.
> >
> > I've seen this patch pop up on numerous other forums, so much so that it
> > made the tech headlines on Google news and PC World, so I know we're not the
> > only ones who have seen the issue...
> >
> > Thank you!

> 1. XP sp3 is a beta.
> 2. XP sp3 should be putting you back on the GDR bits and thus should
> not cause this crash
> 3. Yes there is a fix out now and it's on Microsoft update.

PA Bear

Re: KB924615 causes IE6 to crash
See
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...rk-around.aspx

946627 is being pushed via Automatic Updates and is offered as a High
Priority update at Windows Update website.

There is one (1) arena in which issues with WinXP SP3 RC builds are
discussed and supported:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2010&SiteID=17

<QP>
This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only. Microsoft
does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission critical
systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior to
installing any pre-release software.
</QP>
Source:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-36b124a720aa