KB941229 and KB942615 won't install on brand new laptop

padraigincanada

KB941229 and KB942615 won't install on brand new laptop
Does anyone know why these updates will not install on my new Dell Inspiron
1720? They both download and they both fail on installation. I've tried
closing all background programs (ie. picasa, windows live messenger, even my
security software) but they fail everytime and the fail codes are never
listed on the help screen.

The problem files are:

KB941229 - Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista
error on install: Windows Vista Error 80070490

KB942615 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
error on install: Windows Vista Error 800736CC

any help would be appreciated
PA Bear

Re: KB941229 and KB942615 won't install on brand new laptop
What "security software" are you running, please?

Try downloading the updates manually, save each to your desktop and then
install manually (Safe Mode, if necessary) by double-clicking on the saved
installer:

941229 (32-bit) =>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-4C18DE611BD4

942615 (32-bit) =>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-BECB0E277341
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

padraigincanada wrote:
> Does anyone know why these updates will not install on my new Dell
> Inspiron
> 1720? They both download and they both fail on installation. I've tried
> closing all background programs (ie. picasa, windows live messenger, even
> my
> security software) but they fail everytime and the fail codes are never
> listed on the help screen.
>
> The problem files are:
>
> KB941229 - Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista
> error on install: Windows Vista Error 80070490
>
> KB942615 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows
> Vista error on install: Windows Vista Error 800736CC
>
> any help would be appreciated

padraigincanada

Re: KB941229 and KB942615 won't install on brand new laptop
Thanks, I'll try that !

the security software that Dell installed on my machine is "PC-cillin
Internet Security"

"PA Bear" wrote:

> What "security software" are you running, please?
>
> Try downloading the updates manually, save each to your desktop and then
> install manually (Safe Mode, if necessary) by double-clicking on the saved
> installer:
>
> 941229 (32-bit) =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-4C18DE611BD4
>
> 942615 (32-bit) =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-BECB0E277341
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> padraigincanada wrote:
> > Does anyone know why these updates will not install on my new Dell
> > Inspiron
> > 1720? They both download and they both fail on installation. I've tried
> > closing all background programs (ie. picasa, windows live messenger, even
> > my
> > security software) but they fail everytime and the fail codes are never
> > listed on the help screen.
> >
> > The problem files are:
> >
> > KB941229 - Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista
> > error on install: Windows Vista Error 80070490
> >
> > KB942615 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows
> > Vista error on install: Windows Vista Error 800736CC
> >
> > any help would be appreciated

PA Bear

Re: KB941229 and KB942615 won't install on brand new laptop
The Dell-installed PC-cillin Internet Security suite may be a 90-day (or so)
free-trial version. Have you purchased it yet?
--
~PA Bear

padraigincanada wrote:
> Thanks, I'll try that !
>
> the security software that Dell installed on my machine is "PC-cillin
> Internet Security"
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>> What "security software" are you running, please?
>>
>> Try downloading the updates manually, save each to your desktop and then
>> install manually (Safe Mode, if necessary) by double-clicking on the
>> saved
>> installer:
>>
>> 941229 (32-bit) =>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-4C18DE611BD4
>>
>> 942615 (32-bit) =>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-BECB0E277341
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> padraigincanada wrote:
>>> Does anyone know why these updates will not install on my new Dell
>>> Inspiron
>>> 1720? They both download and they both fail on installation. I've
>>> tried
>>> closing all background programs (ie. picasa, windows live messenger,
>>> even
>>> my
>>> security software) but they fail everytime and the fail codes are never
>>> listed on the help screen.
>>>
>>> The problem files are:
>>>
>>> KB941229 - Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista
>>> error on install: Windows Vista Error 80070490
>>>
>>> KB942615 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows
>>> Vista error on install: Windows Vista Error 800736CC
>>>
>>> any help would be appreciated

padraigincanada

Re: KB941229 and KB942615 won't install on brand new laptop
hi there, you're probably right on the security software and no, I haven't
yet purchased it. Though I have shut it down...

I tried installing the updates from the desktop after downloading them.

KB941229 failed again.

KB942615 initialized and now has been "intstalling" for almost an hour -
stalled at about 90% along the bar line...so I'll give it a bit longer but I
assume it is hanging and I will have to cancel.

Any suggestions you might have are really appreciated, this is frustrating
since I assume I need some updates - Vista has crashed with a blue screen
more than once and I've only had the computer since Saturday !!!!

"PA Bear" wrote:

> The Dell-installed PC-cillin Internet Security suite may be a 90-day (or so)
> free-trial version. Have you purchased it yet?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> padraigincanada wrote:
> > Thanks, I'll try that !
> >
> > the security software that Dell installed on my machine is "PC-cillin
> > Internet Security"
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >> What "security software" are you running, please?
> >>
> >> Try downloading the updates manually, save each to your desktop and then
> >> install manually (Safe Mode, if necessary) by double-clicking on the
> >> saved
> >> installer:
> >>
> >> 941229 (32-bit) =>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-4C18DE611BD4
> >>
> >> 942615 (32-bit) =>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-BECB0E277341
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jim

Re: KB941229 and KB942615 won't install on brand new laptop

"padraigincanada" <padraigincanada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A28D28FB-8951-41A5-9E06-1CE53E44CF4F@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know why these updates will not install on my new Dell
> Inspiron
> 1720? They both download and they both fail on installation. I've tried
> closing all background programs (ie. picasa, windows live messenger, even
> my
> security software) but they fail everytime and the fail codes are never
> listed on the help screen.
>
> The problem files are:
>
> KB941229 - Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista
> error on install: Windows Vista Error 80070490
>
> KB942615 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows
> Vista
> error on install: Windows Vista Error 800736CC
>
> any help would be appreciated

Did you search the internet for these two error codes? Others may have gone
through
the debugging process and have a solution.

Google is your friend.

Jim

PA Bear

Re: KB941229 and KB942615 won't install on brand new laptop
Can you manually update PC-cillin Anti-Virus successfully? When does the
free trial expire?

If you just got the machine, it's still under warranty. Contact Dell
Support.
--
~PA Bear