can't install service pack 3

roro

can't install service pack 3
hi - i'm a newbie with a question.
I want to install Internet Explorer 7 and I think that I first have to install
service pack 3. I'm unable to install this and get this message:
"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Process id+Oxe60 (3680) Thread id+Ox12c(300)
Can anyone help me?
thanks a lot,
roro
Shenan Stanley

Re: can't install service pack 3
roro wrote:
> I want to install Internet Explorer 7 and I think that I first have
> to install service pack 3. I'm unable to install this and get this
> message: "Application has generated an exception that could not be
> handled. Process id+Oxe60 (3680) Thread id+Ox12c(300)

Service Pack 3 for?

I am guessing you have Windows XP of some sort (Home, Professional, Media
Center, etc?)
If so and you are NOT referring to Service Pack 3 for Microsoft Office (of
some version) -- Then you *do not* need Service Pack 3 and in fact, if my
guess is correct - you don't want service pack 3 for Windows XP (it is not
fully released nor will it be completed until after - perhaps significantly
after - the new year.)

Service pack 2 for WIndows XP - sure.

Please clarify what operating system you have, what service pack 3 you are
referring to, etc.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear

Re: can't install service pack 3
You do not need to install WinXP SP3 or any other SP3 to install IE7.

Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO THE LETTER!

[And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. Make *certain* that you
check in at Windows Update immediately after installing IE7 and install any
critical updates offered. If Optional Updates category offers Root
Certificates update, I recommend installing it to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.]

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

=> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

roro wrote:
> hi - i'm a newbie with a question.
> I want to install Internet Explorer 7 and I think that I first have to
> install service pack 3. I'm unable to install this and get this message:
> "Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
> Process id+Oxe60 (3680) Thread id+Ox12c(300)
> Can anyone help me?
> thanks a lot,
> roro

roro

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> roro wrote:
> > I want to install Internet Explorer 7 and I think that I first have
> > to install service pack 3. I'm unable to install this and get this
> > message: "Application has generated an exception that could not be
> > handled. Process id+Oxe60 (3680) Thread id+Ox12c(300)

thanks for the response.
i have windows xp.

roro wrote:
> thanks for the response.
> i have windows xp.

So I guess the answer suffices...

You don't need Service Pack 3 for Windows XP (nor should it be offered to
you in any way than you manually finding it and downloading it and
installing the BETA (RC1 at this time) version.)

You do need SP2 for Windows XP in order to install Internet Explorer 7.0,
however.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP