IE7.0 corrupted my computer!

nomad

IE7.0 corrupted my computer!
On about 12/15 I was notified of an upgrade to IE, IE7.0. For some STUPID
reason I accepted it or it installed automatically, and got IE7.0 installed.
I HATED IT!

So I uninstalled it and went back to IE6.0. However, since then my computer
doesn't work the same. My search pane finds what I'm searching for, but the
links in it don't work unless I say (open in new window". Then I end up with
many windows open as I look for what I want. What a hassle.

Also, my PC can't read some of my older backup CDs that another PC can read.

I think IE7.0 hosed my computer. I tried to do a System Restore back to
before this POS downloaded, but my computer says it cannot restore to that
date.

So what is going on? How can MSFT release software like this that CORRUPTS
a PC? Everything worked fine until IE7.0 was downloaded.

Shenan Stanley

Re: IE7.0 corrupted my computer!
nomad wrote:
> On about 12/15 I was notified of an upgrade to IE, IE7.0. For some
> STUPID reason I accepted it or it installed automatically, and got
> IE7.0 installed. I HATED IT!
>
> So I uninstalled it and went back to IE6.0. However, since then my
> computer doesn't work the same. My search pane finds what I'm
> searching for, but the links in it don't work unless I say (open in
> new window". Then I end up with many windows open as I look for
> what I want. What a hassle.
>
> Also, my PC can't read some of my older backup CDs that another PC
> can read.
>
> I think IE7.0 hosed my computer. I tried to do a System Restore
> back to before this POS downloaded, but my computer says it cannot
> restore to that date.
>
> So what is going on? How can MSFT release software like this that
> CORRUPTS a PC? Everything worked fine until IE7.0 was downloaded.

Technically - it is not IE7 that corrupted your PC. It worked fine after
IE7 was installed - you just decided you did not like IE7 and uninstalled
it. It was likely the removal of IE7 given any third party plugins for
internet usage (that you had installed even before the update), etc - that
messed up your PC. What you likely need to do now is perform a repair
install of IE6.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

You may want to uninstall the plugins you may have as well. Quicktime,
Google Toolbar, Yahoo toolbar, Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, RealPlayer,
Real Alternative, etc and so on and reboot *before* doing the repair -
taking note of wach item you uninstall so you can install the latest version
after the repair.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear

Re: IE7.0 corrupted my computer!
If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post
one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/