Vista Update loop after unsuccesful update install

ExQuestion

Vista Update loop after unsuccesful update install
Hi, i have this problem:

I had Comodo Firewall installed on my PC and with it i couldn't install the
KB942763 update. Once uninstalled Comodo the update success, but the Vista
update system went into a nerverending loop. Now, every time i login Vista
tell me that i have to reboot my machine to complete the installation of
updates.

If i start the Windows Update applet, it tell me "Impossible to update
important files and services while in use. Save open files and reboot... etc.
etc. "

I tried to stop the Windows Update service and renaming the "Software
Distribution" folder, but without success. What i hava to do to solve this
damned boring thing?

Thanks in advance!
Chas521

RE: Vista Update loop after unsuccesful update install
Hi,
I'm not sure if this will help but it does seem logical to me. Restore your
system to an earlier date when it was running OK. Then before you unistall
COMODO, try to do the work-around disabling D+ as described in a reply that I
posted earlier in this forum. If the work-around doesn't work [doesn't seem
to be 100% successful] then your only other option is to COMPLETELY uninstall
it - which it may be even after the restore. Reboot and then apply the
update. Hopefully, the COMODO people are aware of the problem and are trying
to figure out a solution with some sort of patch. If it is unistalled, make
sure that you turn Vista's firewall back on.

Charles

"ExQuestion" wrote:

> Hi, i have this problem:
>
> I had Comodo Firewall installed on my PC and with it i couldn't install the
> KB942763 update. Once uninstalled Comodo the update success, but the Vista
> update system went into a nerverending loop. Now, every time i login Vista
> tell me that i have to reboot my machine to complete the installation of
> updates.
>
> If i start the Windows Update applet, it tell me "Impossible to update
> important files and services while in use. Save open files and reboot... etc.
> etc. "
>
> I tried to stop the Windows Update service and renaming the "Software
> Distribution" folder, but without success. What i hava to do to solve this
> damned boring thing?
>
> Thanks in advance!

ExQuestion

RE: Vista Update loop after unsuccesful update install
Hi Charles and thanks for the reply.

The problem isn't the installation of the update, who success, but the
continuos alert that Vista give me to reboot the machine. It seems that i
can't get ride of this.
Chas521

RE: Vista Update loop after unsuccesful update install
Yes, I do understand that Vista is installed and somewhat working properly.
It's my thought that perhaps a necessary file got corrupted or broken, thus
the loop. If it were my computer, I would try the system restore. It seems
to me that this would do nothing to hurt the machine and it just might help.
Right now you have nothing else to try.

Charles