Net Framework 2 and 3 Install problems

redcity

Net Framework 2 and 3 Install problems
Hi.
I'd appreciate any advice on this problem. Looked through the other
questions and topics but can't seem to find an answer.
Specifically: I have Net Framework 1 and updates plus Net Framework 2,
however, after installing the service pack 1 for the latter (KB928365), and
subsequently using the verification tool to ensure it has updated ok (Setup
verifier), it reports that there is no Net Framework 2 installed.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the verifier tool, but, on then
trying to upgrade to Net Framework 3, the installer fails, with no error code
shown and rolls back.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 with all current updates and Internet Explorer
7 if that helps.

I've used the Microsoft clean up tools to delete all Net Framework software
before rebuilding it to Net Framework 2, in case that was the problem.

Apologies if this is a bit confusing, but I've tried to explain it as well
as I can
joe

RE: Net Framework 2 and 3 Install problems
I am having the same problem, i am running 2.0, tried to update 3.0 it
fails. tried 3.5 and it failed too.
Never had anything fail on this puter before.n this is a first.

"redcity" wrote:

> Hi.
> I'd appreciate any advice on this problem. Looked through the other
> questions and topics but can't seem to find an answer.
> Specifically: I have Net Framework 1 and updates plus Net Framework 2,
> however, after installing the service pack 1 for the latter (KB928365), and
> subsequently using the verification tool to ensure it has updated ok (Setup
> verifier), it reports that there is no Net Framework 2 installed.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a problem with the verifier tool, but, on then
> trying to upgrade to Net Framework 3, the installer fails, with no error code
> shown and rolls back.
>
> I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 with all current updates and Internet Explorer
> 7 if that helps.
>
> I've used the Microsoft clean up tools to delete all Net Framework software
> before rebuilding it to Net Framework 2, in case that was the problem.
>
> Apologies if this is a bit confusing, but I've tried to explain it as well
> as I can

Robert Aldwinckle

"redcity" <redcity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I'd appreciate any advice on this problem. Looked through the other
> questions and topics but can't seem to find an answer.
> Specifically: I have Net Framework 1 and updates plus Net Framework 2,
> however, after installing the service pack 1 for the latter (KB928365), and
> subsequently using the verification tool to ensure it has updated ok (Setup
> verifier), it reports that there is no Net Framework 2 installed.

Try using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to see what it says
about those components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

> I'm not sure if this is a problem with the verifier tool, but, on then
> trying to upgrade to Net Framework 3, the installer fails, with no error code
> shown and rolls back.

Be more specific? For example, I see a Repair button when I use the
[Click here for Support information.] link in the Add or Remove Programs
entry for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
Is that what you are using?

Is this an automatic install or a manual one? If you do a manual install
you may get better messages displayed.

In any case you are likely to find more clues in the extensive log files that .NET
installs create and possibly even in the Event log.

BTW I noticed that NF 3.5 knew about its pre-req's and installed them for me.
Perhaps NF 3.0 does the same? FWIW I was impressed with how complete
the diagnostics were. They may not be that obvious; you have to look for them,
but that is just a matter of doing a search for files which changed on the day
of the update and then sorting the results by Date Modified.
You may even be able to reduce the search space to just your
TEMP folders in case that optimization appeals to you.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---