service pack 2 problems

computer newbie

service pack 2 problems
well as most are aware of the 0x80070005 error with the sercvice pack 2 i
have trouble with it. I'm pretty new at this kinda thing so if someone could
help me in simple terms or give me so advice on what i should do i would
really appreciate
--
mike
TaurArian

Re: service pack 2 problems
What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx

You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP Service
Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148

"Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8125

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)

SP2 CD can be ordered online.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003, x64 Editions
Windows Server 2003 R2, x64 Editions, Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster Edition with
Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003 Storage Server R2, x64 Editions

====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"computer newbie" <computernewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| well as most are aware of the 0x80070005 error with the sercvice pack 2 i
| have trouble with it. I'm pretty new at this kinda thing so if someone could
| help me in simple terms or give me so advice on what i should do i would
| really appreciate
| --
| mike

darwin

Re: service pack 2 problems
I to have plenty of problems with service pack 2. I think I have installed
it and removed it at least 6 times. It runs o/k for the first day after
that it just keeps on chattering on and on and takes foreever to show a web
page.Any idears
--
many thanks

"TaurArian" wrote:

> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx
>
> You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP Service
> Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148
>
> "Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8125
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)
>
> SP2 CD can be ordered online.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx
>
> Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003, x64 Editions
> Windows Server 2003 R2, x64 Editions, Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster Edition with
> Service Pack 1
> Windows Server 2003 Storage Server R2, x64 Editions

> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "computer newbie" <computernewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | well as most are aware of the 0x80070005 error with the sercvice pack 2 i
> | have trouble with it. I'm pretty new at this kinda thing so if someone could
> | help me in simple terms or give me so advice on what i should do i would
> | really appreciate
> | --
> | mike

PA Bear

Re: service pack 2 problems
1. Uninstall SP2 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot.

2. Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your HijackThis
log to an appropriate forum.

Check for Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe)
is the preferred tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove
any hijackware/spyware.

**Post your HijackThis log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or
other appropriate forum for expert analysis, not here.**

3. Do not install SP2 until an expert gives your HijackThis log a clean bill
of health.

Also see:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver:
http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm

What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx

Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

Troubleshooting Your Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default...xpsp2installed

Service Pack (any) Installation Checklist (MVP Jupiter Jones)

WinXP SP2-specific Page (MVP Jupiter Jones)
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

darwin wrote:
> I to have plenty of problems with service pack 2. I think I have
> installed
> it and removed it at least 6 times. It runs o/k for the first day after
> that it just keeps on chattering on and on and takes foreever to show a
> web
> page.Any idears
>
>> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx
>>
>> You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install
>> Windows XP Service Pack 2
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148
>>
>> "Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8125
>>
>> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)
>>
>> SP2 CD can be ordered online.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx
>>
>> Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition, Windows Server
>> 2003, x64 Editions Windows Server 2003 R2, x64 Editions, Windows Server
>> 2003 Compute Cluster Edition with Service Pack 1
>> Windows Server 2003 Storage Server R2, x64 Editions

>> ====================================
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
>> ====================================
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>> Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may
>> benefit.
>>

>> "computer newbie" <computernewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:F57A2071-52D2-464E-ABEB-9962759BB8D8@microsoft.com...
>>> well as most are aware of the 0x80070005 error with the sercvice pack 2
>>> have trouble with it. I'm pretty new at this kinda thing so if someone
>>> could help me in simple terms or give me so advice on what i should do i
>>> would really appreciate
>>> --
>>> mike

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: service pack 2 problems
If it runs OK for a day or so, it is possible something else is
causing your issues.
Is there some program you regularly run after which the problems
start?
Have you verified, at least for programs you run regularly, you have
the latest updates and patches?

Check for spyware, viruses and other malware.

If you can beg, borrow or already have a spare hard drive, you can
install Windows XP followed by SP-2.
then install programs until the issues return.

Also see:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]