Office 2007 SP1 78F Error

tzach@triad.rr.com

Office 2007 SP1 78F Error
Just posting in the hope that my experience will save others a lot of
wasted time and aggravation.

1. My system is 32bit Vista Ultimate and my Office 2007 version is
Home and Student.

2. I tried ALL the suggestions so far. Update from windows update.
Update from windows download. Update from either with or without any
disk in the CD/DVD drive. Update from either with or without the
original (retail) disk in the CD drive. Update with or without all of
the above variables while sacrificing a small chicken and reciting the
Lords Prayer backwards. Etc etc etc .....

3. The ONLY thing that finally worked was to completely uninstall
office.
Reboot.
Reinstall office.
Reboot.
Update from the downloaded SP1 installer.
Run Windows Update to clear the entry in pending updates.

Those of you who have a disk, just bite the bullet and reinstall and
prepare to recite numbers over the phone when you get dinged to
reactivate your copy of office. If you don't have a disk to reinstall
office then good luck.

HTH
Dave Calg

RE: Office 2007 SP1 78F Error
This is BS ---- where the heck is Msft ??????????
I have also been struggling with this Msft created issue.
Reloading Office 2007 IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION --- especially when it is a
"shot in the dark" with marginal probability of success !!!!!!!!!!!!

"tzach@triad.rr.com" wrote:

> Just posting in the hope that my experience will save others a lot of
> wasted time and aggravation.
>
> 1. My system is 32bit Vista Ultimate and my Office 2007 version is
> Home and Student.
>
> 2. I tried ALL the suggestions so far. Update from windows update.
> Update from windows download. Update from either with or without any
> disk in the CD/DVD drive. Update from either with or without the
> original (retail) disk in the CD drive. Update with or without all of
> the above variables while sacrificing a small chicken and reciting the
> Lords Prayer backwards. Etc etc etc .....
>
> 3. The ONLY thing that finally worked was to completely uninstall
> office.
> Reboot.
> Reinstall office.
> Reboot.
> Update from the downloaded SP1 installer.
> Run Windows Update to clear the entry in pending updates.
>
> Those of you who have a disk, just bite the bullet and reinstall and
> prepare to recite numbers over the phone when you get dinged to
> reactivate your copy of office. If you don't have a disk to reinstall
> office then good luck.
>
> HTH

TaurArian

Re: Office 2007 SP1 78F Error
MS Complaints Department:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Dave Calg" <DaveCalg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| This is BS ---- where the heck is Msft ??????????
| I have also been struggling with this Msft created issue.
| Reloading Office 2007 IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION --- especially when it is a
| "shot in the dark" with marginal probability of success !!!!!!!!!!!!
|
| "tzach@triad.rr.com" wrote:
|
| > Just posting in the hope that my experience will save others a lot of
| > wasted time and aggravation.
| >
| > 1. My system is 32bit Vista Ultimate and my Office 2007 version is
| > Home and Student.
| >
| > 2. I tried ALL the suggestions so far. Update from windows update.
| > Update from windows download. Update from either with or without any
| > disk in the CD/DVD drive. Update from either with or without the
| > original (retail) disk in the CD drive. Update with or without all of
| > the above variables while sacrificing a small chicken and reciting the
| > Lords Prayer backwards. Etc etc etc .....
| >
| > 3. The ONLY thing that finally worked was to completely uninstall
| > office.
| > Reboot.
| > Reinstall office.
| > Reboot.
| > Update from the downloaded SP1 installer.
| > Run Windows Update to clear the entry in pending updates.
| >
| > Those of you who have a disk, just bite the bullet and reinstall and
| > prepare to recite numbers over the phone when you get dinged to
| > reactivate your copy of office. If you don't have a disk to reinstall
| > office then good luck.
| >
| > HTH

TaurArian

Re: Office 2007 SP1 78F Error
PS: 78F.

The workaround is to place the Office 2007 install CD in the CD drive and then go
Microsoft Update and install the Service Pack

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"Dave Calg" <DaveCalg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| This is BS ---- where the heck is Msft ??????????
| I have also been struggling with this Msft created issue.
| Reloading Office 2007 IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION --- especially when it is a
| "shot in the dark" with marginal probability of success !!!!!!!!!!!!
|
| "tzach@triad.rr.com" wrote:
|
| > Just posting in the hope that my experience will save others a lot of
| > wasted time and aggravation.
| >
| > 1. My system is 32bit Vista Ultimate and my Office 2007 version is
| > Home and Student.
| >
| > 2. I tried ALL the suggestions so far. Update from windows update.
| > Update from windows download. Update from either with or without any
| > disk in the CD/DVD drive. Update from either with or without the
| > original (retail) disk in the CD drive. Update with or without all of
| > the above variables while sacrificing a small chicken and reciting the
| > Lords Prayer backwards. Etc etc etc .....
| >
| > 3. The ONLY thing that finally worked was to completely uninstall
| > office.
| > Reboot.
| > Reinstall office.
| > Reboot.
| > Update from the downloaded SP1 installer.
| > Run Windows Update to clear the entry in pending updates.
| >
| > Those of you who have a disk, just bite the bullet and reinstall and
| > prepare to recite numbers over the phone when you get dinged to
| > reactivate your copy of office. If you don't have a disk to reinstall
| > office then good luck.
| >
| > HTH

Dave Calg

Re: Office 2007 SP1 78F Error
Thx -- I will try this.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> PS: 78F.
>
> The workaround is to place the Office 2007 install CD in the CD drive and then go
> Microsoft Update and install the Service Pack
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "Dave Calg" <DaveCalg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | This is BS ---- where the heck is Msft ??????????
> | I have also been struggling with this Msft created issue.
> | Reloading Office 2007 IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION --- especially when it is a
> | "shot in the dark" with marginal probability of success !!!!!!!!!!!!
> |
> | "tzach@triad.rr.com" wrote:
> |
> | > Just posting in the hope that my experience will save others a lot of
> | > wasted time and aggravation.
> | >
> | > 1. My system is 32bit Vista Ultimate and my Office 2007 version is
> | > Home and Student.
> | >
> | > 2. I tried ALL the suggestions so far. Update from windows update.
> | > Update from windows download. Update from either with or without any
> | > disk in the CD/DVD drive. Update from either with or without the
> | > original (retail) disk in the CD drive. Update with or without all of
> | > the above variables while sacrificing a small chicken and reciting the
> | > Lords Prayer backwards. Etc etc etc .....
> | >
> | > 3. The ONLY thing that finally worked was to completely uninstall
> | > office.
> | > Reboot.
> | > Reinstall office.
> | > Reboot.
> | > Update from the downloaded SP1 installer.
> | > Run Windows Update to clear the entry in pending updates.
> | >
> | > Those of you who have a disk, just bite the bullet and reinstall and
> | > prepare to recite numbers over the phone when you get dinged to
> | > reactivate your copy of office. If you don't have a disk to reinstall
> | > office then good luck.
> | >
> | > HTH

Dave Calg

Re: Office 2007 SP1 78F Error
OK i thoght I would let the dust settle and then try the suggested solution
--- It did not work. I put the Vista System disk in the CD drive and
re-downloaded the Office 2007 SP1 update: after a screen showing
"installing updates" ... "installing update 1 of 1 ... 2007 MS Ofc Suite SP1
---> i get: X error -- "Some updates were not installed ... Failed: 1 update
.... CODE 78F
.... Now what ?? Please help ...
Thx ... Dave

"Dave Calg" wrote:

> Thx -- I will try this.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > PS: 78F.
> >
> > The workaround is to place the Office 2007 install CD in the CD drive and then go
> > Microsoft Update and install the Service Pack
> >
> > --
> > ====================================
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> > ====================================
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
> > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >

> > "Dave Calg" <DaveCalg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | This is BS ---- where the heck is Msft ??????????
> > | I have also been struggling with this Msft created issue.
> > | Reloading Office 2007 IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION --- especially when it is a

TaurArian

Re: Office 2007 SP1 78F Error
You receive an error message when you try to install the 2007 Microsoft Office suite
Service Pack 1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946691

I said, "place the Office 2007 install CD in the CD drive ". I mentioned nothing about the
Vista System disk.

See the above kb article that references the error 78F.
--
====================================

| OK i thoght I would let the dust settle and then try the suggested solution
| --- It did not work. I put the Vista System disk in the CD drive and
| re-downloaded the Office 2007 SP1 update: after a screen showing
| "installing updates" ... "installing update 1 of 1 ... 2007 MS Ofc Suite SP1
| ---> i get: X error -- "Some updates were not installed ... Failed: 1 update
| ... CODE 78F
| ... Now what ?? Please help ...
| Thx ... Dave
|
| "Dave Calg" wrote:
|
| > Thx -- I will try this.
| >
| > "TaurArian" wrote:
| >
| > > PS: 78F.
| > >
| > > The workaround is to place the Office 2007 install CD in the CD drive and then go
| > > Microsoft Update and install the Service Pack
| > >
| > > --
| > > ====================================
| > > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
| > > ====================================
| > > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
| > > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
| > >

| > > "Dave Calg" <DaveCalg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > |
| > > |
> [...]

Dave Calg

Re: Office 2007 SP1 78F Error
You are correct. On a separate attempt i placed the "Microsoft Office Small
Business 2007 - Disk 1" in the CD drive while attempting update. I got the
same error messages. There did not appear to be any attempt to "read /
access" the CD drive?

Thx ... any additional help will be appreciated. ... Dave