RE: Office XP SP3

Stan The Man

RE: Office XP SP3
Sorry I cannot show you an easy way out of this predicament.
For the benefit of others who may be lured into 'trying' SP3 may I point out
some of the warnings given in the document covering this update? It is only a
Release Candidate not a Full Release, hopefully the latter will available
next year. One item in the document of paramount importance is 'Backup your
system before attempting this update' [or words to that effect]. It is
prudent to have a Backup or at least a Restore Point when undertaking any
update procedures.

During my update I noticed that the Product Code was being verified, as my
copy is genuine perhaps that is the reason I was not asked to insert the XP
CD.

Best regards,

"Wayne Cameron" wrote:

> I have just downloaded the subject update but it has failed to install. Can
> anyone advise me what the problem is? I also cannot start Windows firewall.
> Is it possible that these two problems are related? Any help would be
> appreciated.
> --
> D. W. Cameron

Shenan Stanley

Re: Office XP SP3

Stan The Man wrote:
> Sorry I cannot show you an easy way out of this predicament.
> For the benefit of others who may be lured into 'trying' SP3 may I
> point out some of the warnings given in the document covering this
> update? It is only a Release Candidate not a Full Release,
> hopefully the latter will available next year. One item in the
> document of paramount importance is 'Backup your system before
> attempting this update' [or words to that effect]. It is prudent to
> have a Backup or at least a Restore Point when undertaking any
> update procedures.
>
> During my update I noticed that the Product Code was being
> verified, as my copy is genuine perhaps that is the reason I was
> not asked to insert the XP CD.

Stan The Man,

I appreciate that you are attempting to help in these newsgroups. I
sincerely hope you continue in this endeavor.

However, you should be more careful when you read/comprehend the issues at
hand before responding. I could understand missing the true meaning of this
post - almost - but then again - it is all alone in the subject line...

"Office XP SP3"

You are speaking of Windows XP SP3 RC1 (Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 1
for Windows XP) and the OP was speaking of Office XP SP3 (Service Pack 3 for
Microsoft Office XP)... Although in general - your advice would be sound -
it is obviously leaning towards the Windows XP SP3 RC1 side of things - for
which my advice would be - for the normal home user - avoid it.

For the OP:

Have your Office XP media (CD) in the system when you try to install?
Tried getting the stand-alone installer?

Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

Released way back on 3/30/2004. What I suggest is that you download from
the above link the "OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe" file and save it
to your desktop. (57.5MB - not 16MB!) Try running it.

(It states, on that page, "OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe: Download
this file if you do not have access to your installation source...")

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

John

Re: Office XP SP3
In short, "Never patch your MS Office software with Windows service pack"
Got it. Thanks.
u da man, Stan!

"Stan The Man" <StanTheMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry I cannot show you an easy way out of this predicament.
> For the benefit of others who may be lured into 'trying' SP3 may I point
> out
> some of the warnings given in the document covering this update? It is
> only a
> Release Candidate not a Full Release, hopefully the latter will available
> next year. One item in the document of paramount importance is 'Backup
> your
> system before attempting this update' [or words to that effect]. It is
> prudent to have a Backup or at least a Restore Point when undertaking any
> update procedures.
>
> During my update I noticed that the Product Code was being verified, as my
> copy is genuine perhaps that is the reason I was not asked to insert the
> XP
> CD.
>
> Best regards,
>
> "Wayne Cameron" wrote:
>
>> I have just downloaded the subject update but it has failed to install.
>> Can
>> anyone advise me what the problem is? I also cannot start Windows
>> firewall.
>> Is it possible that these two problems are related? Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>> --
>> D. W. Cameron

> "Wayne Cameron" wrote:
>
>> I have just downloaded the subject update but it has failed to install.
>> Can
>> anyone advise me what the problem is? I also cannot start Windows
>> firewall.
>> Is it possible that these two problems are related? Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>> --
>> D. W. Cameron

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Office XP SP3
Not quite.
You probably do want to install updates and Service Packs.
That does not apply to Beta.
At this time SP-3 for Office is Beta.
Which means it is Beta and only those interested in testing should
install it.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"John" <a> wrote in message
> In short, "Never patch your MS Office software with Windows service
> pack"
> Got it. Thanks.
> u da man, Stan!

Shenan Stanley

Re: Office XP SP3

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Not quite.
> You probably do want to install updates and Service Packs.
> That does not apply to Beta.
> At this time SP-3 for Office is Beta.
> Which means it is Beta and only those interested in testing should
> install it.

Jupiter Jones [MVP],

The Office XP Service Pack that this conversation is about is *not* beta.
It was released in March 2004.

Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
Date Published: 3/30/2004

I believe John was being sarcastic when they replied due to the fact that
"Stan The Man" had mistakenly replied to the original post thinking it was
about Service Pack 3 RC1 for Windows XP - not Office XP like the subject
makes clear.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Office XP SP3
Thank you Shenan for the correction, of course you are correct.
There are so many major Betas that I confused Office XP SP-3 with a
Beta.

> I believe John was being sarcastic when they replied due to the fact that
> "Stan The Man" had mistakenly replied to the original post thinking it was
> about Service Pack 3 RC1 for Windows XP - not Office XP like the subject
> makes clear.

meant to be a joke. We all make mistakes, myself included.
Happy holidays to you all!
Have a great one.